8.18.2010

Taylor


This marks my fourth attempt at this post. For some reason I just can't culminate the words to precisely depict a brief moment in time and give you another glimpse at one small miracle in Ivey's life. Unfortunately- that's all you get – a flash. And here on the inside that is all it really feels like too – a flash – a brief moment of time that went by too fast.

Tomorrow marks a big day for someone who has become a very special part of our family. She'll take to the road and travel many miles for the next year to pursue her future.
It's funny how so many small moments, brief encounters; choices we make that end up as mile markers in our lives – they shape us – make us more than we were.

And without fail, most of those markers end in change.

Two years ago we were asked by our local parent-to-parent organization to volunteer, with other families, to join with a class of students at a local college and allow those students to go into our children's school and to come into our homes – to see what it is like beyond a textbook. So I filled out the necessary paperwork, sent in pictures, all of Ivey, for the students to look over and choose a child. And that was that – a simple task once again would change our lives – forever.

My hopes were to have a sweet person spend some time with Ivey both in school and our home…..and with any luck get someone good who might do a little babysitting on the side.

What we got wasn't even on our radar.

Needless to say her time spent with our family over the last two years left fingerprints all over our hearts.

It wasn't just her influence on Ivey – somewhere in there – Ivey influenced her. Made a mark on her heart too. Ivey set her on a course that will mold her entire future – a career choice. And at 10:30 one Saturday night, she sent us spinning. And tomorrow, no matter where she lands in her future, she will start the journey that we could only dream about.

Her life is about to change.

But I hope she will one day see how much she changed us. What she gave us.

Unexpectedly – I got another moment – just a tiny glimpse – of another life. What I will never have. A different me. I didn't even see it coming. And so I must first thank her mom for sharing her daughter with us. Her mom gave me the greatest gift; she shared her own daughter with me for a brief flash of time, just one summer. Her mom gave me the tiniest glimpse of normalcy that I will never have again. Normal Life with a daughter. The chance to worry if she was okay. Wonder what time or when she would be home. Meeting the boyfriend. Girl talk. And the hardest part, the heartbreak of watching her leave. All things that should naturally happen over time, played out in one summer and I will forever be grateful.

Down the road when my friends begin to worry about boyfriends and dates. Driving. Which college. Their daughters leaving home. So many things. I will have this one summer to keep me sane – to remember.

And if things were different and I had all those things to worry about – and had to try to raise my daughter to make the right choices, I could only pray that she would become just like Taylor.

You did a magnificent job.

Whatever it is you did, you did it right. She is an amazing person. Just like my daughter, she is special. I can only dream of the people she will touch in her lifetime. The difference she will make. Already Ivey has been blessed. And I can't imagine how your heart is breaking just thinking about tomorrow. But thank you for giving her this opportunity – for me – she will make all the difference in my daughter's life. She will teach others how to give her Life.

Just Another Ordinary Miracle – is in the making.

Thank you for sharing your miracle with my miracle +

4 comments:

Heather said...

I LOVE the second to last picture ... that picture speaks volumes.Absent of words but tells us so much.

Blessed,lucky,changed forever.All gifts and I thank you for sharing,once again,the beauty that colors your world.

*Been meaning to get an email out to you,to answer the why's of my "situation" ... seems life hasn't allowed it but tonight,I will get to it.T

Andrea said...

What a gift to your family! I loved our brief time today! The pictures are precious:)

Claire said...

What an adorable post. What a wonderful thing to share.

Cxx

Dianne Paul said...

Remember when you first met Taylor and I commented on one of your blogs - Thank you for letting my special girl spend time with your special girl. Even back then, I had a hunch that this was going to be BIG for all of us, and this is one time I was so right! I believe in both of our special girls (and you). I also believe amazing things are about to unfold!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...