2.28.2007

Dear Lei,

To answer your question, no I am not immune to people and their behavior, and yes it hurts. I do not want to become immune. It is all part of life with Ivey. We take the good with the bad, and this part keeps us grounded.

If you are confused, let me explain. The other day my blogging friend, Lei, asked a couple of questions in reference to the post about 'our club'. She asked if we have become immune to people's behavior toward Ivey over time. (The negative behavior) She questioned if the behavior hurts. I have to say that just thinking about it cuts to the quick. However, it is a very hard question to answer because it makes me deal with something most people spend time desperately trying to avoid, especially when it comes to Ivey - reality. We take our spoon full of reality around here every day.

My instinct is to give Lei a round about answer that avoids the truth and makes her walk away feeling all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Something like, "Oh, it does not really bother me. I do not care what other people say or think. It's like water on a duck's back. I just turn the other cheek. " But the truth is I am human. It hurts. It hurts me and my husband. Eventually, Ivey will hear the pauses and understand the silence or she will feel the stares. What is worse, she will hear the words…the mumbling…maybe even laughter. I already loathe the day that Knox and Walker are taunted because of their sister's differences. Children can be cruel, but who do they learn it from? Just like the other day, the woman did not see my two sons watching her as she set an example. I just hope my example trumps hers over time.

Have you ever had to watch your child hurt and have no way of preventing the hurt? Can you imagine what it would be like to know every time you go somewhere new, someone will stare at you? What would you do if you knew your child would be called names or not want to be played with? Now multiply those emotions by infinity. She will always be the different one when it comes to normal children, or adults for that matter. That…. is reality.

I would like to say that I do not care how others respond, but it would be a lie. I do want my daughter to be loved and accepted for whom she is, but that is not the reality we are dealing with around here. We live in a very vain world based on appearance. What is it they say about first impressions or judging a book by its cover?

From the outside of these walls, I am certain that it is easy to just shrug shoulders and not worry. This particular area of Ivey's life has many gray areas that are not so simple. I have learned to keep a bow in Ivey's hair. Keep in mind that she only has fuzz, so I use a little trick the NICU nurses taught me. The bow serves as a focal point and it works. Now pauses are fewer. And since the weather has been cold she wears some really cute hats. I realize now that most people do not intend to be rude, they just do not know how to handle the situation. Sooo, they avoid it. It is a continual roller coaster ride of emotional highs and lows.

It is like Lauren said - the face of God comes in many forms….I get to look at him every single day.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I just read a post this morning at Antique Mommy about living counter to culture, counter to human instinct...we learn how to "turn the other cheek," "turn that frown upside down..." and all that but at the end of the day it still HURTS.

And yes, the 'cruel' children are learning their behavior from somewhere. They don't have anyone talking to them about empathy or understanding or manners or acceptance. They're out there and I know they're going to be in the classroom with Jack and in the lunchroom with Jack and on the playground... (I taught elementary school and now stay home, but Todd really wants me to go back when Jack starts school so I can keep an eye/ear on him...)

This comment has turned into a novel...there are just so many things I want to say. I have to cling to the ones that love Jack unconditionally and brace myself for the ones that don't. Ivey's brothers will follow your lead/example and you are setting a wonderful one for them. They'll learn to handle these situations with grace and strength.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

I'm so sorry you, Ivey and your family have to face people who are rude or don't know how to respond so turn away. Hurt people Hurt people. When I think of that it helps me, but still hurts.

I can't imagine the pain you must feel when someone does that to sweet little Ivey.

Praise God our hope is not in this world.... but in Heaven. There she will be healed and so will your heart.

Lei said...

Thank you so much for that... it was beautifully written and honest. It seems nothing is sacred in this world, I think that every time I get stuck in traffic because people have to stare at the horrible accident and its victims. I know that when people stare at me when my child is having a moment or before my daughter got surgery for her strabismus, it bothers me... you fear what they are thinking, you wonder if you should say something. I can only imagine how difficult it would be for you to ignore it with Ivey.

I know that you will raise a strong spirit who will be able to tolerate this life and its cruelty, for you are an amazing woman and mother!

EAC said...

GWEN.... I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT EVERYTIME THAT I SEE YOUR SWEET FAMILY I SEE A GLIMPSE OF GODS WONDER!! HE IS SO AMAZING! IT IS SUCH AN INCREDIBLE FEELING AT THE END OF THE DAY TO KNOW THAT WHATEVER THE CIRCUMSTANCES GOD HAS A PLAN...AN ETERNAL PLAN. IT IS SO CLEAR TO ME WHY HE ENTRUSTED HIS SWEET IVEY TO YOU AND MATT. YALL ARE AMAZING....IT IS EVIDENT IN YOUR SWEET CHILDREN. YOUR FAMILY IS BEAUTIFUL!!! I PRAY THAT GOD WILL ERASE ANY PAIN THAT MAY COME YOUR WAY FROM THOSE WHO HAVE NO CLUE. MAY HE GIVE YOU STRENGTH AND GRACE....AND IF YOU EVER FEEL LIKE TAKING SOMEONE OUT...DONT....CALL ME AND I WILL HANDLE IT FOR YOU.

Girl Raised in the South said...

I loved your transparent honesty. Not only do you share your heart with us, but you teach us how to handle the multitude of other parents out there, loving their children, and hurt daily just because of their differences. We all need the repeat lessons. xoxoxo

Jennifer said...

Gwen- Thank you for your honesty. I am with Beth...We have your back. :-)
Seriously, when I see Ivey, I see a miracle...what could be more beautiful than that?

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...