1.29.2007

Are You Qualified?

Over the course of the past nine months I have heard all sorts of accounts that explain why Ivey is Ivey and why we got her. I have noticed that most Christians have an incredibly hard time accepting that difficult circumstances do arise, and an even harder time accepting that God 'let' them happen. The hardest is for Christians to comprehend that no amount of prayer or doing good deeds will change some things. Prayer does not necessarily have to end with change, maybe just acceptance.

That being said - You better believe that we pray around here. We are praying for a successful surgery this week and for her to heal quickly. Oh, we pray. We have accepted in our home that Ivey can not be 'fixed', mended in some ways, but not 'fixed'. Ivey will always be Ivey. Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans. She weighed 5 pounds 11 ounces at birth, and weighs 10 pounds 11 ounces nine months later. When I pray for Ivey, I do not pray that she will be someone other than the person she is at this very moment. I love Ivey, my Ivey, the one with the feeding tube, the trach, the conformers, the cleft lip and palate, the mental issues, the one who can not see. I do not have any regrets for who she is - none. (Before Ivey's lip surgery, I cried to my friend Martha that I did not want her face to change.) When I close my eyes, I can not envision her any other way, but the way she is. I can not image her taking a bottle or what color her eyes should be. If she were any other way, she would not be Ivey.

She does not need vision to 'see' me or Matt smile at her. She feels it with her hands. She hears Walker ask to pet her, and feels him when he lays his hands on her head like she were a puppy. She feels Knox when he holds her and wraps his little arms around her. To our family, there is nothing that really needs to be 'fixed'. When I pray to my God, I always thank him that I have my little girl-there are no specifications-except health.

I say all of this for two reasons. Ivey and I have gotten out a little more than normal in the past couple of weeks. It has been interesting to watch the faces of strangers and friends who have not ever seen Ivey or who have not seen her since she was trached. The ambush of the suction machine, the feeding pump, well, all of it can scare you out of your skin. We stay so enclosed within a small group of friends, and they are familiar with so many of Ivey's daily activities, that I forget that many things are extremely foreign for most.

Two, that same group of friends has taken the stance that they too are responsible for Ivey. At some point in this journey, they have all wanted to help, but on the same hand, admitted their fears and uncertainties. In my mind I have sat while looking at them and wondered, "Do you think I knew anything about this before now? I have been just as scared as you are, still am." But they get it. Ivey is Ivey. She is who they love. They have accepted that this is also their place in an unique circle. And when they pray, they pray with Ivey- not for who she could or should be.

None of us were called because we were qualified. We are qualified because we are called.




13 comments:

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

So beautifully written Gwen!!!! I love your heart towards precious little Ivey. She is so blessed to have you, your husband, her brothers, and all your family and friends to love on her.

God is Soveriegn and Good. And He created Ivey, just the way she is. She is perfect to Him.

I will be praying for Ivey's surgery this week. Praying that she comes out stronger and healthy than ever!

Sarah said...

Beautiful, Gwen. I don't know what the point of all this is--Ivey or Addie--but I do think that God has big plans for those two little girls are going to (and already have!) impact other people for the better. We are the blessed ones to get to have them, aren't we?

Email me:)

Mayhem And Miracles said...

There is no end to the sweetness of this post. It's beautiful, just like Ivey.

(I linked to your blog in my last post and hope that's O.K. If you would prefer I remove it, please just leave a comment asking me to and I will delete both. Thanks.)

Kathy said...

What a beutiful post. I have been following your blog for awhile. God is already working through your family and your beautiful little girl. I will be praying for her surgery next week.

Lei said...

"Prayer does not necessarily have to end with change, maybe just acceptance."

--I love this! Well stated!

KuPu said...

Hi there, I just found your blog, as I was looking for blogs with anything with special needs. I work with children and adults who have any kind of disabilities and just LOVE my job. A lot of people say "It sure takes special people to do that kind of job". I always say it doesn't, because I love them like anyone else and they should be treated like you and I. You never know if you'll be seriously injured within minutes and will need to rely on someone for the rest of your life. SO I don't think it takes special people. (well to a point maybe). I just wanted to stop by and say HI and I'll be praying for your family and for a speedy recovery and that Ivey will pull through this will flying colors. They're our Hero's aren't they?

KuPu said...

P.S I also work with children who fit Ivey's description and think they are the most beautiful children ever! Their just so happy all the time. If the button will work, you'll love it so much better, as there'll be less chances of it being pulled out. Best of Luck!
Hugs!

Sarah said...

I'm coming back tonight to say that I'm praying for you as you countdown to another surgery. I wish I could be there and give you some company and help:)

Sending love from Texas!!

Linda said...

I am not sure that all could handle the job that you handle each day. Every child is beautiful and Ivey's strength makes her even more beautiful.

My prayers are with Ivey for her procdure this week.

Lauren said...

Yes, we love our Ivey, Gwen...the one that God made. We will be praying for an easy surgery. Love ya'll so much!!!!!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Gwen, you continue to challenge all of us, by how you face your challenges. You remind us life is a race for all of us, we all have obstacles, and He will qualify us as He calls us. Thank you for this wonderful post. Blessings to you and your precious family.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post! I love how you shared that you do not desire for her to be changed, you love her just as she is. How wonderful to have a nice group of friends who love your family so. I can't say enough about this lovely post. It blessed me today. :0)

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

I can't imagine a more beautiful post - a more honest, heart wrenching tribute of your love for your daughter. So beautiful. I am a mess over here trying not to cry.

here today from Bev's...

I am working on a series about courage for Faith lifts - will you allow me to add you to my list of bloggers who inspire me and do an interview with me for Faith Lifts? let me know - email me at janice at 5minutesformom dot com.

Blessings to you and you wonderful family!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...