Skip to main content

It's Elementary My Dear...

Back in another place in another time I was a secondary education teacher.  I taught Biology to the hormonally challenged world of sixteen year old.  In that world they already knew how to arrange themselves into a straight line, take turns, raise their hands, and read and write. Now in saying that, most of the challenge went toward reminding them to just merely do those things.  Recall information.  Basic information. 

This is year I will dip into the world of Elementary education, a science lab for little people.  So I am reaching to the masses and requesting vital information from those already versed in the world of the elementary years. 
  • I did not go through the education department while in college.  I majored in Bio minored in Chem and added a teaching certificate later.  This means I have absolutely no bulletin board making skills.  I'm a blank slate.  Help.  Think Science.
  • I need ideas for choosing who goes first, which table lines up for the door first, how to pick who answers a question....... little one love to go first and answer questions... first... I would love some cute ideas to control the masses....
Anything else you think important, please share.
I'm sure most of you do not think this is as corny funny as I do. 
But HA HA from the biology world.
And it really is funny. 
(Hint if you don't get this...DNA)

Comments

Reagan Leigh said…
Funny, I also majored in Bio and minored in Chem!! In graduate school I remember the go to experiment when kids were around was extracting DNA from strawberries! Other than that, I can be of no help...I've always had an aversion to teaching. Good luck!!
Anonymous said…
I teach K..Some of the things I use for crowd control (think 28 5 year olds) are: "Give me 5" (Hand up, body still, voice off, brain thinking, eyes on teacher). I also use like a stoplight to show if they can talk (inside voice-green), whisper (yellow), and voices off (red). I go in ABC(by first name) order for line leader. I have a popsicle stick with each child's name-this helps me pick someone to answer the question, I also use my "magic wand" to select people. I sing songs for routine. I assign/define rolls for group work (you can use dice, connecting puzzle pieces, etc to decide on partners or groups). Teachers pay teachers is an awesome website.Good lucK! Jennifer
Anonymous said…
I just spent an hour reading your "story" after searching google "blogs elementary science".

Your blog is beautiful! It made me cry and laugh and touched me deeply. Thank you for sharing your "ordinary miracle" of Ivy with us.

My 25 year old daughter has a friend with a special needs brother. Her mother just told me recently that my daughter's friend is going to grad school now for a degree in the special needs field. They are also a beautiful family.

Anyway, back to the elementary science....kids love butterflies!
Here is my website with lots of information on butterflies in the classroom (including bulletin boards:)

http://www.glorious-butterfly.com/school-bulletin-board-ideas.html

Also, your children would probably love the experience of raising butterflies at home :)

May God shower His blessings on you!
Karen

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu