Skip to main content

This stuff is proving to be liquid gold – getting it in her seems to be the hard part


Wednesday Ivey had her IVIg infusion here at the house. This makes for the second infusion ran by an infusion nurse here. It was nice not driving to Emory or Scottish – almost. The nurses running the infusions are doing their best – but Ivey is a hard stick and it takes several tries, and we are in a predicament. Don't stick again – don't get infusion – feel crummy and plagued by sinus infections and seizures….or go for it again; or more than again if necessary – and Ivey feels better. So for the second infusion in a row it took the nurse, me and Taylor to hold Ivey down for her IV. This is definitely not something I can imagine doing every month. Which this leaves me to wonder, why didn't Ivey get my monster veins? Little tiny rollers is all she has, and one that gushes, but doesn't cooperate with the needle.
BUT… this time no bad side effects! We did a regime of medications before and after the infusion and I think it's the right combination. Woo hoo. And……48 hours later Ivey is on GO…
This stuff is liquid gold..!

Comments

KrisKay said…
I'm so glad that it's helping!! But it stinks that it's so difficult for precious Ivey. I'm sure they've tried everything... but I know Kouper does better with IVs in his foot... who knows why. If only they could put that liquid gold in her favorite drink! I'm glad you're back on the blog... been missing Ivey's updates!
Colleen said…
That must be hard, but it sounds it will be worth. We are looking into getting IVIG possibly in the future for the little man. I hear it does wonders.
Anonymous said…
So happy that you have some things going well...just need for technology to keep up and help little ones with those troublesome veins...You are a great tribute to good mothering!

Chad and Jen

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu