Skip to main content

Is It A Snow Day?

I was watching the news this morning and low and behold snow is coming...does that mean it's a snow day?

To update what's going on here in our break from the outside world, Ivey is sick. We came here with seizures. Got here. Not one single seizure to be recorded during the video EEG, which is still running, and landed with an infection. Go figure. She loves to keep everyone on their toes. My toes, however, are tired. She has been working us all.

The past two nights during the deep morning witching hours, have been long and hard. My sweet pea has been spiking a terrible fever. She is miserable. Blood work is back indicating that she is indeed fighting an infection. Now we are waiting on other tests to try and figure out exactly what she is fighting. Her chest x-ray did look good. They have started her on a pretty strong antibiotic. Unfortunately, her little bottom is already blistering where it makes her poop so much. That in itself is painful for her. For now that is about all I know.

Oh almost forgot. Her breathing is not as labored as it has been for the past two days. She is on her normal breathing treatments with a little cpt.

As always, the nurses and staff, and Ivey's doctors are incredible. Ivey's sweet day nurses have worked hard and her night nurses have been super. Right now a nursing student is sitting in the room with her so that I could run down to the lobby, get coffee, something to eat and go look at the sunshine for the first time all week. I have left the room here and there to wash a load of laundry, wander through the gift shop for a break, and down to the caferteria, but this is so nice being able to sit down to a different brighter view for a moment. I told her she was my early birthday present. I don't think I could ask for any thing better, except for the obvious.

Oh, and right now I am not sure when Ivey/we will come home. Definately not today.

Thank you all for thinking about Ivey.

Comments

KrisKay said…
We're praying for sweet Ivey. I hope that you get some answers soon. Those pictures with Ivey and her dad are gorgeous! Hang in there :)
Sheila and Grace said…
Thinking of you Gwen, and hoping and praying that things improve and both of you can be home soon. Wishing you a peaceful birthday tomorrow, full of good news about Ivey. HUGS!
Unknown said…
Thinking of you... heres hoping that they work out what is wrong, and she s home soon. x
Allison said…
Gwen, so many of us can learn so much from you. When the storm comes, you stay the course. God is doing a mighty work through you! We are praying for Ivey and for your family. We hope your birthday has many special moments! Let us know if we can do anything for any of you.
Connie Barris said…
Gwen, you continue to amaze me...you are truly an exam of perservance...love... and transparency...

It is an honor to know you

God Bless you and your family

I will continue to pray for you all

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu