11.20.2009

Posing for Pictures – The Sirmans’ Way



Earlier this week the boys and Ivey had their pictures taken professionally for the first time in two years. The last time we went on this little endeavor it went rather smoothly. Ivey had just gotten those beautiful green eyes – that we rarely see now because she does not like to wear them – she was still trached; and she could not sit independently – and most importantly (back to the eyes), she could not take her eyes out. Her pincher skill was not yet developed. As for the boys, they were eager to have their picture taken. Like I said, it was a simple sitting. We laid Ivey down and the boys circled around her – posing. Gorgeous pictures. If you have been to the house, you have seen them next to the fireplace.

 
Two years later …….same photographers ……. same studio …… 

 
Ivey wanted her eyes out.My girl kept trying to sneak that little finger of hers up to pluck them out. Everyone (including the boys) is trying to distract her from them, get her to smile, and hold her head up. Once upon a time someone asked why all of our pictures of Ivey are mainly of the top of her head. God has given her gorgeous curly hair for a reason… it makes pretty pictures.

Any who, we were trying to get her to hold her head up too, tickling her with the dusting thingy and all – trying to keep her eyes in… and finally, Ivey said "enough of this" and reverted to sticking both thumbs in her mouth (that means lights out time, she is going to sleep) and trying to shimmy down into the fetal position for a nice afternoon siesta.   

Meanwhile, the boys are still there – smiling.

So now we are trying to wake Ivey up, get her thumbs out of her mouth, hold her head up, get her to smile, and, oh yeah, quit pulling her dress up over head.

Finally Ivey decided to cooperate. Or maybe she decided submission was the best method to make us all leave her alone.  I think she realized we were not going away – she might as well get it over with. Is this a typical three year old or what?

Right now I am siding with the 'or what' scenario.

 About that time, the camera is just a clickn' away….and I realize. Seriously Ivey????

She must have 'rotated' her eyes around while she was pluckn' at them. Now the irises of her eyes, the pupil part, are now pointing in opposite directions. One looking right, the other looking left. So we had to hold on a minute while I rolled them back so that they were 'looking' straight again. 
 

While that is going on, the boys are jabbering about how much Ivey loves to take her eyes out.

You know, no one ever really knows what to say to that. I just can't imagine why. 


 People must really think we are nuts.

 Finally a game of 'patty-a-cake' seemed to do the trick…..click, click, click and we were all exhausted. 

 Hopefully, the boys didn't pull off any bunny ear while Ivey had everyone distracted.

Thanks Classic Impressions. You all always take such beautiful pictures. And thank you for letting the kids be who they are, and making the perfect pose out of that.

4 comments:

Heather said...

The eye stories are the ones that kill me everytime!!Just kill me!I smile and laugh,cuz well,it makes me smile and laugh.I so vividly saw the photo shoot as you wrote it and again ... I smiled.Cannot wait to see the pictures.Braver than me my friend.The six of them or the 8 of us, in a shoot... not gonna happen.We will gather them up and take a few pictures for a Christmas card and invariably,someone will be sacrificed ...the vanity in me wins and it won't be me!!Usually the poor husband.Poor guy!Anyway,love to you and thanks for making me smile this morning.

Mandy said...

I use to read this before Ivy got her eyes and then for a while after, somehow I lost your blog and in the past day or so I found you again!

It's really nice to hear that Miss Ivy is doing so well!!

This story made me laugh... I'm a special education teacher so stuff like that I understand... and two little boys who are talking about how their sister likes to take her eyes out ROTFL!

Oh My Goodness!!!! Your hands are certainly full!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

How hilarious that the boys talk about how their sister likes to take her eyes out. They are so accepting and loving!

I hope you'll share the pictures with us. :)

Jennifer said...

I laughed out loud at this post too. I love a spunky girl!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...