Skip to main content

Filing this away

into my category of "So this is my new normal"'s.

For those involved, it probably did not really play out like this. However, in my desolate, panic stricken, maniac mama mind that has evolved in light of our daughter, to this file it goes.....

This morning I, along with three others, went to our 5:30 am, that's right - for all you lazy folks, that is AM, group training. Hence, we pounded the gym for 45 solid minutes that I am most certain my body will remind me of as I contemplate a maneuver to get out of the bed in the morning..trying to figure out exactly why I am sore in places that I didn't even know had muscles... That's okay come February 8th all will prove worth it (I will explain that later).

Anyhow, after running 15 minutes late, no less due to showering after a brutal workout, Ivey and I skipped off to an appointment with her GI doctor, which by the way, is on the third floor of the pediatric wing at Floyd. Remember third floor, that tidbit of information will play a vital role in just one moment.

Backing up for a moment, recall that when traveling with Ivey one very important bag - THE PINK BAG - always goes with us.... always.. Also important, it's always with us except when mama, hence me, has brain freeze and leaves it in the car in 26 degree weather.

Back to story, we get all the way up to the third floor after traipsing across the parking lot at Floyd, hence, no spots close to the door, and all of you know how far a walk that is from the back of the parking lot....in 26 degree weather....after a brutal workout....carrying a 20 pound child and pushing a stroller full of all of her 'stuff', except for the pink bag. It is back in the car in the back of the parking lot.

We get up to the third floor and you guessed it, she strikes out in a small seizure. I don't panic often, but needless to say, I freaked out a little bit. Luckily, we were standing in the peds hallway, hence I handed Ivey over to a sweet nurse and struck out in full sprint.

Now let's back track. That would be from the third floor, down to the lobby, out into 26 degrees weather, across one gigantic parking lot and did I mention it was after a brutal workout? Needless to say, fight or flight kicked in.....back across the parking lot....at this point I was conspiring the murder of my friend Martha- my legs went numb-.......back into the hospital.

At this point for some very not-so-smart reason, I actually jumped on the elevator. Really? Which went down to the first floor first, during which time I said some not-so-nice things. Reluctantly, I stayed on the elevator and made it back up to the third floor. Needless to say, barely breathing.

So here's to my new normal and running around like a chicken with my head cut off in public.

Ivey got her Diastat and was fine. For the second time EVER, her Diastat worked. As of right now she has been seizure free the rest of the day with no trip to the ER. Cross your fingers for tonight.

Oh, and once I got everything situated, I realized there was an extra Diastat in a bag already with us.. up on the third floor.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gwen- please know I say this lovingly... only you could make an amusing story out of a day time nightmare. Here's praying for "a no trip to the ER" night.

I love you and hope everyone is well enough to come to RayRay's party.
Tam
Harriette said…
I am laughing WITH you as I read this! How many times do we as parents of very special children go straight into fight or flight mode? Ivey could not be in better hands!!!
Harriette said…
I am laughing WITH you as I read this! How many times do we as parents of very special children go straight into fight or flight mode? Ivey could not be in better hands!!!
Karen Owens said…
Been there -- done that! Your such a good momma!
Tink said…
Oh Gwen, I too have been there, done that!! Only not after a workout.. and after I ran to get the diaper bag out in the car, and back into the Do. office on the 6th floor in the hospital... I had extra med's that I carried WITH ME through all that, it was in my purse which was on my SHOULDER!!!!
You are a GREAT MOM.. Maybe a SOAR one right now but still GREAT!!!
Shannon said…
Oh Gwen,
I am so sorry about Ivey's seizure. I do hope she is resting ok. Let's look at it this way: You got 2 workouts:)
Hello to Miss Ivey:)
-Shannon in Austin
Heather said…
Oh the wondrous world of Miss Ivey ...and momma.Her job is to keep you on your toes,running full speed, all the time.Who needs workouts.Praying for an uneventful weekend.Love to you all.
Jennifer said…
As a fellow Martha victim, I can only imagine how your legs were feeling! So glad it all turned out well.
Tabatha said…
I love this post! I still laugh at the elevator story. What size dress do you want for her. I am assuming you are talking about the fabric called Par Avion...is that right? I would love to do this for her birthday. Just let me know what size you are wanting and I'll get on it hopefully in the next week or two.

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu