Skip to main content

Perspective

The fair started up tonight. Officially fall. For me, it is a little more than that. It is a mile marker. The first fair after Ivey was born I couldn't help but wonder how we would ever get her there-let alone, enjoy it. The second time around (last year) she was at the fair– loving it. Today as we drove home and passed the fairgrounds the conversation centered on 1) another year has passed 2) we can't wait to take the boys and Ivey. I guess it all comes down to perspective.

P.e.r.s.p.e.c.t.i.v.e.

Once upon a time there was life before Ivey. A different time, a different person. I admit – Ivey has changed me. She put my life into perspective - quickly. At times it is refreshing, other times it is harsh reality, but most of the time she pulls us back to what is really important in life.

Every year the first night of the fair holds the exhibitions of the local cheerleading squads. At one point, I was fortunate to be a coach of one of those squads. Lots of work. Hectic practices. I was always proud of my girls.

When Ivey was born there was a moment that all felt lost. I am ashamed to admit that I could not see past the end of my own nose. As much as I love sports, how would she ever ……..do those things? I was focused on her disabilities. Stupid Stupid Perspective.

This year our town's local cheerleading gym, HotShots, has a new cheerleading squad - The Shining Stars. This competition cheerleading squad is comprised of special girls who have parents and people in our community who asked the question….Why not? So they have worked hard, and did their first performance in the fair's exhibition cheerleading performance tonight.

Now that my mind is wrapped around Ivey and all of her Abilities, why shouldn't she be able to be one of those cheerleaders when she is old enough? ….she is definitely a shining star. The countdown is on until Ivey is up on that stage......cheering and dancing her heart out....that would be quite a milestone wouldn't it? My heart understands now that yes, Ivey can do anything our hearts desire. It will take creativity, patience, heart, elbow grease and a positive perspective. It is possible and this reminded why....

Tonight I got a text message from my friend, a cheerleading coach, Ivey's Godmother…..

It simply said…… "The Shining Stars just performed. It kind of puts it all into perspective."

I did not get to see their performance either, but I am left to imagine the impact of that performance on the members of our community who were watching them.

Congratulations Shining Stars!!!! And everyone who is supporting them along the way!!!!

Comments

Tabatha said…
What an awesome idea for someone to come up with the "Shining Stars". She will be up there and you will be so proud you won't be able to hide it! I'm working on her dress now. Well not right now b/c I'm on the computer (see I knew I could make you laugh) but I hope your husband will let her stil wear it after the big "Black Out" performance!
Gwen, I just read back through everything on the front page of your blog. I haven't been blogging in quite a long time. I have to tell you what a smile you've left me with - and tears. It's amazing to picture those beautiful cheerleaders putting forth their wonderful encouraging abilities and to hear the new hope in your words for Ivey. Your heart, your words, they all touched me tonight immensely. I can hear the wisdom you have been shown through the refining of this beautiful challenge and I am blessed for having been turned here to this site. I am hopeful for you that Ivey's seizures will become less and less frequent as she grows stronger and stronger. You, your boys, Ivey - you're all a great big blessing.
Heather said…
Thank you Gwen, for gifting me with perspective each and every time I click onto this site.Thank you to Ivey, for showing me the possibilities and the capabilities that allow me to look ahead to life with my own shining star.
Anonymous said…
Gwen, thanks for your kind words. Lots of folks have worked together to get this off the ground. We have teachers, therapists, cheerleaders, and lovers of all children involved. I have learned so much from my work with these great people. If nothing else, I know what a sense of humor God has! How else would I, mother of three boys and a music geek (and I use that word lovingly), have become a cheer coach?!

Wendy
Anonymous said…
Gwen --

Beautiful prose you have written. I hope to read more in the future. Thank you. -- Dr. Killjoy
Lauren said…
I cannot wait to see Ivey cheer on that stage...shakin that booty!
"At times it is refreshing, other times it is harsh reality, but most of the time she pulls us back to what is really important in life"

I loved this entry. I feel like you and I hit 'stuff' at the same time.

Our girls are wonderful.

Thank you for reminding me that this is all about 'Ability' and not 'disabiity'.

A very welcome reminder!!!

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu