Skip to main content

What’s Really Important

Today was one of those really good days with no particular reason why. This post is just a small reminder to my self that it doesn't all have to be perfect or complete for it to be a good day.

I have been working on the schedule now that school will be back in session trying to work-in all of the requirements and those things expected. It is overwhelming already. This is to remind myself, when the schedule seems to take over, that this is what it's all about and there is no way to do it all – all of the time. We will get it all done at our own pace. Maybe not in some one else's time frame, but in our own, in the way that is best for everyone in our FAMILY. What is it they say…..slow and steady wins the race.

So if you look at the video you will see a multitude of things going on. It all depends on your perspective. Good things, okay things, some things that could be done better. Ivey's in her stander, playing with her mealtime utensils. Amazingly, her hearing aids are on her ears. Her eyes are not in; the trach stoma is not covered. Even though it is dinner time, I am not feeding her. It's only the feeding tube right now. But we are all content right now.

Tomorrow when the hustle and bustle starts up again I want to remind myself what's really important. She will be just fine even if we do not meet all the requirements of all the different agendas set for her. We will do the best we can and that will have to be enough. Take a deep breath and slow down…..slow and steady wins the race.

Comments

Heather said…
I just loved watching Ivey doing her thing,exploring the world around her.I was so excited for her and you all when I saw she finally got her hearing aids.You know ,it seems to me that it is a constant struggle to balance between the necessary and the important.One that often need reminding of also. I had never heard "Slow and Steady wins the Race"until this past February as I searched the internet for information on infantile spasms.By God's Grace I was immediately led to our friend Sam and his family.Another amazing child full of resiliency and strength.This is their mantra and one we too have adopted.It helps keep things in perspective.Ivey is a true wonder and as always,I so love coming by and checking in on your little piece of the world
Anonymous said…
I have a list of favorite quotes and these are a couple of my favs:

I've learned that when I feel overwhelmed or stressed, I need to back off and remind myself that I can't do everything at once.

There is NO Superwoman.

You are an incredible mother and an inspiration to us all.

Have a good day.

A Friend.
Connie Barris said…
you make me smile, Gwen... (and Ivey)
elizabeth said…
"Slow and steady wins the race.." That is a great quote. I love it and so true.

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu