Skip to main content

My Wishes Gave Way to A Big Ole Slice Of Humble Pie

I am only one of many parents who have a child with special needs. I am sure I speak for all of us when I say I wish for my daughter to have friends. Even though she may learn differently, I wish for her to go to school. I wish for her to play. I wish that others will want to play with her. I wish to see her smile when her friend says her name. I wish that she would talk too much. I wish for her to make crafts. I wish for her to sing jingle- bells in the Christmas program. I wish for her to be part of a group. I wish for this to no longer be a wish, but a reality.

Going back to the beginning of the summer I began dreaming of a life that provided Ivey the opportunity to achieve all of the above. However, fear of denial and rejection loomed in the path. And of course, the brutal reality that Ivey's friendships with others will just be different. I found myself making prolonged excuses of why I should wait to set out on the road to Ivey's future.

Then this summer my path crossed with a very special person who saw the world vibrant and very much still spinning with Ivey and others like her as vital participants. She posed a very simple question, "Why not?" She also taught me to ask, "How can I make it happen?" Two very powerful questions in the dis-but very much- abled world. So after a little 'coaching' and feather fluffing, I was ready.

I introduce you to the beginning of a LOVE for humble pie.

My wish has been for Ivey to attend preschool just like her brothers. I have longed to see her shaking the daylights out of the jingle-bells while sitting on the stage during the Christmas program. I can literally hear the teachers saying good morning to her as she goes down the hallway to her classroom. So at the beginning of August I pulled together all the gumption I could muster, again asked myself the question "Why not?" and made the phone call. I scheduled to meet with the director of Knox and Walker's preschool.

Before I go on, I must explain why this was such a moving of mountains decision. The reality is this. Normally there can be hoops to jump through to accomplish such a task-school- Literally, heart ache. Quiet frankly, in most instances it is not the 'norm' for a child like Ivey to go to a 'normal' preschool. If you doubt that little fact, look around next time you sit in car line. There are horror stories about parents wanting the exact same things we want for Ivey. In a nutshell, gathering the courage to ask if my daughter can be a part of your group is the utmost humbling experience I can and will continue to endure.

Waiting to go into that office was unnerving. I really tried to go in with my game face on, to no avail, I still cried in the beginning. The proposal wasn't even the hardest part, it was the moment after asking…and this is where I must apologize….I regret ever allowing my mind to think that Ivey might never be privy to true childhood experiences like those of her brothers and that I apparently had such little faith in our village. We truly live among extra-ordinary individuals.

Thank you for the opportunity to give our little girl a true childhood experience. Thank you for being so caring at a momma's weakest moment. Thank you for taking such good care of all three of my children.

Last night as I was talking to a friend about Ivey's first day of preschool she just said 'well she's Ivey', like 'what other option was there?'. I could have squeezed her. If only my 'normal' friends with 'normal' children in 'normal' families could see, for just one day, the magnitude of their acceptance of Ivey in the eyes of other parents with special needs children. Our friends and community have conformed quite well to our 'new' normal. They made it their 'new' normal. They are all heroes.

Yesterday Ivey went to her first day of preschool. One of those "I Wishes" became reality. Another amazing milestone met. A little girl was granted opportunity. And it was the sweetest piece of humble pie ever.

Comments

Heather said…
You go Ivey girl.You take them by storm.You ring those Christmas bells and show them how it's done,in true Ivey fashion.So proud of you .... and momma too.
Gwen! Way to go!!! As a teacher of special needs studens, I think what you are doing is AWESOME!! I'm sure it took a lot for you to leave her at preschool, but she will grow so much for you doing it. Hang on to your hat, what she learns will blow your mind. I wish you could "rub off" on other parents (of children with all ability levels). You are so brave and a true inspiration. I can't wait to hear more!
Pam
Well done Ivey! Isn't humble pie delicious??!!! the Bernard Bunch very much hopes that Abigail can one day go to 'normal' preschool, so this post is of particular inspiration for us. Thank you!!! And what a BIG girl you are now!
Alison
Anonymous said…
I will be honored to help with Ivey's sweatshirt (as well as W's). She is such a doll and has touched so many of us on so many levels. My girls love praying for her and your whole family-including E praying for her hearlights (hearing aids) to stay in. Thanks for sharing your family with us.
Lauren
Alison said…
So thankful, so excited!!! Such wonderful news!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu