Skip to main content

One green eye please

I have a funny story to tell you about Monday night. However, this is my third attempt to try and put it on paper but even retelling the story stumps me and my mind goes blank of all the possible words that would clearly give you the feeling that you were there with us. Also I would like to adequately provide you a visual of the facial expressions of EVERYONE involved. Trust me on this one, there is an array of stumped faces in this story in vast degrees of disbelief, for an ever so brief moment we were all speechless. So I must say, in all my days of knowing this would happen, IN PURE IVEY FASHION, this story is one-of-a-kind and darn near IMPOSSIBLE, FREAK OCCURANCE; however, as you all know, only Our Ivey could drum up this one.

So here goes.

Monday night we went to the Rome Braves Game with our three kiddos, Miranda and Wesley and Haley and David. Great game. Braves won.

So we were leaving the game getting on the elevator to take us down to the parking lot of the stadium. Now let me add here before I forget, for all the times I have been frustrated about and with people, this story is one reason I love Rome. We truly live in a GREAT town with good loving people. Thank you!!!

Back to the elevator.

So we are all filing onto the elevator, three couples, Matt pushing the stroller full of Ivey stuff, the boys and me carrying Ivey. The lady running the elevator says, 'Did one of you just loose an earring?' The three girls check their ears, rings and you see everyone kind of look for any something that could have dropped to the floor… nothing…..and then Matt says…

"Ivey's eyes".

There's that brief sssssllllloooooowwwww motion - you already know the answer feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Now we have been waiting for this moment to happen. Eventually, we knew we would loose one. She plucks them out all the time and when I say all the time, I mean it literally. Of course they drop onto the floor, we pick them up, wash them off and put them back in, so when I say "loose it", I mean it in the "I just threw the retainer in the trash" kind of lost. Not our Ivey.

So I pull Ivey from my shoulder and sure enough, right eye is gone. Then there is another brief moment where everyone looks at each other. Now don't forget the lady running the elevator is still sitting on her stool with this look of ""Did he just say EYE"??!!!

Elevator is moving down at this point.

Whatever fell managed to drop in that stinkin' gap where the elevator floor and the building floor don't meet. Now lets all think together – elevator shaft.

So now we all, all of us on the elevator, know it was The Eye. Panic.

The lady running the elevator is still trying to decide if we r.e.a.l.l.y meant the baby's eye.

Now doors open. Poor unsuspecting policeman standing at the elevator for security purposes sees an elevator of adults and three two children with panic stricken faces. Third child is smiling because of her sudden rash of attentive adults. At this point, I am assuming Matt got to the security guy before me, because all I remember is this guy with his little walkie talkie already up to his mouth and a very perplexed look on his face. Within seconds a line of sweat beads pops out on his forehead. Of course now I am in his face with that crazy laugh/giggle that I get when I am trying not to cry, because it really isn't anything to cry about, but seriously … I am saying stressing someone has to go down to the basement and get her eye, because it is her eye…. !!!! He is speechless.

Now can you imagine the guy's face on the other end of the walkie talkie? Eye down elevator shaft???? Hhhmmmm……………….

Now Miranda and Wesley, like us, would never have dreamed this one up, but at least they know things get a little odd and crazy some times. Sorry Haley and David. You just go INITIATED!!! Welcome to our world and we hope you'll go back with us again J
We had fun.

Yesterday as Miranda and I were driving down I-75 heading for the zoo, the call came in. At 8:08 am Matt was at State Mutual Stadium standing with the man who went to the basement, into the elevator shaft to look for one green eye……

And he found it.

Comments

Darcie said…
This is an awesome story! Thank you so much for sharing, and it says a lot about you and your family that you can laugh about it. Classic.
Heather said…
Can I tell you what a bright spot in my day it is, to come check in on your little piece of the world and find a post? Especially one like this.You amaze me with the casual ease at which you relay the "pure Ivey fashion" events.You make me smile, sometimes you make me cry but always you make me pause and take in the beauty of lives lived outside the confines of my little piece of the world.
Anonymous said…
Ok being a Mom of a special needs child myself I could relate, appreicate, and laugh at this story. Ivey is a pip.....and I can't believe that they were able to find her eye!!! LOL I'm glad you guys all had a good time.
Lisa said…
Oh my goodness I had to laugh, even the thought of the looks on the poor lady's face is priceless!! I am glad you found the missing "Eye" I hope it wasnt damaged. Ivey sure keeps everyone hopping, and I know she enjoys doing that..
Karen Owens said…
No Stinkin' Way!!!!! So freakin' funny. I would loved to have been there!!
Hilarious ..... thanks for the descriptive writing, I could definitely envision their expressions!!! How wonderful that Ivey's eye was found.
Jennifer said…
As I got off the elevator this afternoon, Rachel from the Braves told me this story....only Ivey! (so glad you found it!)
Dee Dee said…
Some would feel devastated at all you have faced in the past few years. And by God's grace you have come through it with such a joy and a humor and an appreciation of a truly incredible gift of a child. God's blessings are sometimes so much more than meets the eye. (And did I really just end that remark with the word eye??? : )
elizabeth said…
I just recently lost my keys down an elevator shaft and I couldn't help but think, "What are the chances that they would go down there instead of anywhere on the entire elevator floor!?"... I CANT EVEN imagine if I had lost an eye down there. Such a funny post. You're a great sport to have looked at it with humor instead of panic.
Anonymous said…
Priceless...
Yall are great! Love and miss ya lots!

Tami
That is hilarious! I can't imagine what the man looking for it was thinking:) So great that you have such a good sense of humor about it all!
Anonymous said…
So, So totally funny!!! I love this story. Especially your vivid descriptions of the looks on everyone's faces. Priceless!! So glad they found the eye as well. Lord knows we can't buy those things in bulk at Costco! I am waiting for the day I have a similar story with Ella...
Jill :)
Shannon said…
Oh man. Im glad you found Ivey's eye. Ivey, you sure are keeping everyone on their toes. And I'm sill laughing at the look the lady probably had. Eye? Yes EYE!
-Shannon in Austin
Leslie said…
That made me LAUGH! And I so needed to...THANK YOU! Sweet girl...she makes life fun! :)
Oh my goodness! Now that was a story, thanks for sharing.
Connie Barris said…
puts things into perspective, does it not??!!!

Gotta love that green eyed little girl...

Connie

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu