Skip to main content
Maybe I was meant to be a hermit or maybe I should just live on a deserted island or somewhere in the Arctic. After all, that’s what it has been like for the past three weeks, oh, maybe it’s four. Who’s counting? One thing is for sure, I missed my calling. Life keeps insisting that maybe, just maybe, I should have invested my brain cells somewhere in the medical field while I was in college. I guess I fell short considering I majored in Biology, which is somewhat in the right vicinity, but let’s face it – that degree isn’t really helping me much these days. Anyway, I have been pretty much in solitude – scratch that – quarantined for the past few weeks.

It all started with Ivey’s seizures, then Walker, in the midst of Ivey, decided to come down with four days of a 103 fever. That I believe was most likely the flu or some version of it since he had the flu vaccine. (Some good that did) Ivey had more seizures. I am hesitant to tell you that now Knox is home with strep. So, yesterday while I had Knox at the doctor, sweet baby Ivey decides to throw-up and convince Dr. R to look at her and guess what? She’s got it too. Basically, we are on eternal lock down.

The good news, Ivey has not had a seizure in one week. That is good. The bad news, I – the momma of this crew- am delirious, void of daylight and adult conversation.

This past weekend I did get to get out of the house for a couple of hours. One of my student/cheerleaders from my teaching days is getting married in a couple of weeks. Going to her wedding shower, quite frankly, made me feel old. When did that happen? It was great to see a group of girls that in my eyes are all still 15; it doesn’t matter that they will all be graduating from college at the end of May. But, they are all still sweet beautiful girls with big dreams. And, I miss them - well, I do as long as they aren't really still 15 with raging teenager hormones.

Any who, I have been getting all of my ducks in order for various annual reviews that will be coming up for Ivey. Meetings are being scheduled and papers are being filled out, another reason I am delirious. I keep thinking that I should write a manual and hand them out on the street corners. You know they have all those baby books about pregnancy and child rearing, things like “What to expect….blah, blah, blah”. Well, I have a couple of titles picked out. How about, “What to Expect from The Special Needs Child You Weren’t Expecting” or maybe “The Girlfriends Guide to the Real World of Special Needs”. Now don’t get upset about the titles.

In my little manuals/books, I would by pass chapters about what life is like raising a special child or the joys of special needs (there are plenty of those out there).
Chapter One of my book would simply say:
Chapter One: Living with A Special Needs Child – see your own life-immediately!

Then we would proceed on to the chapters about the paper work, the scheduling, the balancing acts, figuring out an organizational plan, more paperwork and did I mention S.C.H.E..D.U.L.I..N.G? Like I said, delirious.

Maybe that is what I should do, become an organizational consultant for special needs families. I am becoming quite good at it- never mind what anyone else thinks (don't ask my husband or my mom or the majority of my friends, and for heavens sake, don't ask my dad).

Well, I have to go now. Alvin and The Chipmunks is going off and everyone is getting rowdy again. We saw it no less than twenty times last week. Did I mention that this week alone (and it is only Tuesday)that I have already seen Alvin seven times. Delirious- the only voices I hear are 10 times that of the normal speech speed. Delirious.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Gwen- I am really praying for you, sister. May the Lord sustain you! (At least you still have your sense of humor!)
GO AWAY GERMS (and hide the Alvin Dvd!)
Anonymous said…
Gwen, I feel your pain! The job of a stay-at-home mom is never easy, never mind the seizures, meetings, therapies, and now the sickness. This is a hard time of year - kids are sick left and right at Ava's preschool and last week, she got her first ear infection since 2006. Out of preschool all week, it's like we are starting over. She had such a rough day today - fell asleep at the lunch table, cried for Mommy pretty much all day. Meanwhile, I was at the doctor with Lucie watching her get 3 shots. :( Two fussy, needy babies were my focus tonight. This too shall pass. You will be an adult again with (somewhat of) a life of your own. After you have kids, is your life really ever your own again? I am thinking of you and looking forward to your kids getting healthy and for Ivey to keep moving forward. Forget a MAPS reunion; how about a MAPS moms' vacation?!
Take good care,
Megan
Anonymous said…
I feel your pain with alvin - just got the dvd on Friday and have already seen it enough to last me all year!

Yuck with the germs and am so glad I wasn't at Dr. R's office when you were to catch the germs (except you know I would have helped you out if you'd needed it!)

Hope everyone gets well soon!
Anonymous said…
you crack me up! The fact that you can be humorous shows what a great mom you are. We missed circus day b/c julianne decided she wanted to stay home and play at her house...go figure, my third, just not "getting into" preschool like my others. tonight, however, she cried her eyes out b/c she wanted to go to circus day right now......... ugh!:)danapeek
Connie Barris said…
I'm with JMOM... how you still have a sense of humor is beyond me...you amaze me...

I need to go find a chalk board and write 1000 times...

I will never complain again....

Lord... bless my friend, Gwen... with showers of sleep, rest and sunshine...

ps.. I would like to tell you the Alvin and chipmunk thing will pass soon but we watched it several times the other day and Hogan is almost 13... Gosh don't tell anyone.

Connie

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu