4.01.2008

Automatic Pilot

I mentioned in the last post that Ivey's seizures have abruptly decided to show themselves frequently in the past three weeks. Since March 13th she has had at least 10 seizures that we have observed. She is having a combination of types of seizures, predominately she is having myoclonic seizures, but most likely having grand mal seizures too.

We still have not pin pointed specific warning signs signaling that she might seize. Some days she is in a playful mood and then suddenly begins to seize. Other times Ivey might be sleepy. They happen morning, noon or night. They do tend to follow a similar pattern, myoclonic, where her muscles twitch discretely. Other times her arms and legs thrash violently in a pulsing fashion, as does the muscles in her face. Her body becomes very tense. She is incoherent and non-responsive. Consistently she looses her color and turns a 'dusky' shade, drools and urinates. Unfortunately, Ivey also tends to have long seizures. On average they range from 5 minutes to 25 minutes. The longest seizure Ivey ever had lasted about 45 minutes. A LONG seizure is over 5 minutes, so Ivey's length of time is of concern.

Yesterday morning Ivey had another seizure lasting close to 25 minutes. She did have twitching in her muscles; however, this time her body became more limp. During the first 5 minutes of her seizure, I began to locate and organize her medication that is administered if her seizures continue past the 5 to 10 minute mark and also placed a phone call to Matt. As I was laying the medication out, her dusky color began to change and she became a bluish shade. Hurriedly, I pulled her oxygen tank and administered oxygen to her. She was probably 'holding her breath', but she regained her dusky color in no time at all. Then I administered her Diastat. Her seizure continued on for several more minutes subsiding about the 25 minute mark, where at that time, Matt had made it home. During this time I was also on the phone with her neurologist.

Ivey is okay today. She is actually napping right now. Upon the recommendation of her neurologist, we did take Ivey to the ER at Scottish Rite yesterday afternoon for observation.

Ivey's seizures have been under control for the past year. She has been in the process of a medication change, which can trigger seizures, and she has also gained weight, which can also trigger seizures. I pray that this is the explanation to her seizures. Hopefully we will get her medication levels high enough to control the seizures, but not to sedated her too much.

Watching her go through these terrible things is heart breaking. For all the things that we do to try and make her comfortable while she is seizing, there is nothing we can do to really help her. We hold her, love her and talk to her, but we can do nothing to physically stop them. Please pray that we get these under control again very soon. They make her feel bad and increasing her medications make her sleep more until her body adjusts to the new dosage.

Long story short, say a prayer for her. The end of this month holds big plans for Ivey and we need to knock down any obstacle(s)in her way. If all goes well, her trach may come out at the end of April.

20 comments:

Karen Owens said...

Ivey is in our prayers!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Hi Gwen:) I'm sorry to hear about Ivey's seizures. My mom had brain cancer and would have seizures from it so I know how traumatic it is to see.Let me pray for her...

Lord please heal sweet little Ivey from her seizures. Give her Doctors wisdom in medicating her as to prevent any more seizures. And please give Gwen and her family wisdom too. In Jesus Name Amen.

Renee said...

wow. i'm sorry ivey is having such a hard time with this right now. i don't know if you ever got my email, but we are new to the seizure life ourselves as hubby has just been diagnosed with epilepsy. even though it seems to be "mild," it has turned our life upside down in many ways. i can only imagine what it must be like to watch your sweet girl go through this...and for so long. we'll be praying.

Anonymous said...

You have my prayers for you and Ivey. Okie Nana

Anonymous said...

As always, I'm checking in before bedtime to see what is going on with Ivey. I love your previous post and the video of Ivey and the toothbrush.

Ivey, you are so smart and amazing. Your spirit inspires me.

Gwen & Matt, please let me know if I can ever help in anyway.

I will say a special prayer for your precious girl tonight.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Saying a prayer for Ivey.

Anonymous said...

Gwen, Many many prayers that they get these seizures under control soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Love, Sheila

Anonymous said...

Adding Ivey to our prayer list!

Tink said...

Sending lots of prayers for Ivey, I know how scary Grand Mal is, my oldest son has them. He has been on Tegretol for years. I hope they get them controlled very soon.
Brightest Blessings

Heather BT said...

Prayers for controlling the seizures.
My Mum nd Brother are both epileptic and I know that different things can trigger them, but I also know they are both under control now. I've never had to deal with as many seizures in my life as you've had to deal with recently and I just pray that you both are given strength and wisdom while the Dr's try to figure this out.
Heather BT and Acer.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all and your gorgeous Ivey!

Technonana said...

Oh Sweet One, you and your precious child are in my prayers.. I am asking my prayer warrior friends to lift you up, even NOW!!
May you feel The Father's love and may He comfort you in His BIG STRONG ARMS!!!

Anonymous said...

We are all thinking good thoughts and praying for Ivey - we want that trach out! Hang in there, sweet girl.

Megan, Ava & Lucie

Girl Raised in the South said...

Thanks for the specifics on how to pray for her, which we're privileged to do. xoxoxo

Shannon said...

Hi Gwen,
I will be praying for Miss Ivey. Bless her heart. I know it pains you to see her in that state.
-Shannon
Our children have alomst the same bdays.......April 15th here.

Mom of Eleven said...

I will add you all to my prayer list.

Lauren said...

Praying...

Just Tera said...

I'm so sorry you are all going through this. I hope they are able to control them soon. You have amazing strength. Sending you prayers and hugs

Leslie said...

Oh, good heavens, Gwen. Bless her heart. Is she just exhausted after she has one? What does the neurologist say about them lasting so long?

I do pray that they are under control soon and that she does get her trach out. I hate that her little body has to endure so much.

SabrinaT said...

Sending up prayers for Ivey, and a speical prayer for you mom! You have amazing strength.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...