11.05.2007



I thought about putting some pictures from Halloween up for you all to see, but I think you get the gist of our trick-or-treating from the picture in the post below with Ivey and the boys. Oh my how wasteful it is to have predetermined expectations.

These four pictures are priceless.

One, they show Ivey’s estranged mickey button only hours before she pulled it out. Ivey did not get the memo that we were planning for thisHalloween to be her first real Halloween. So, Ivey spent her second Halloween again in Scottish Rite. She can’t get enough of the place. Don’t be surprised if we are all out marching around the neighborhood one day trick-or-treating in the middle of December. We are going to have a first Halloween at home for Ivey if it kills us all.

Two, the pictures show how much Knox loves Ivey. Just look at his face. Ivey loves her brother, but looks to be a little peeved, that may be because she just got up from napping. When I look at the pictures, I can hear Knox’s sweet voice asking to hold her. Ivey is his very own doll baby.

Three, you get to see how the boys’ friends treat Ivey. It is great. To them she is just a little sister with attachments. Their friends are reflections of good parents with big hearts. The boys’ classmates are not afraid to ask questions. Normally there are a lot of ‘what’s that?’, and sometimes they will stand in front of Ivey and just look. I love to see the boys’ friends talk to Ivey. They are taking her in, processing. Both Knox and Walker answer most questions that are asked. It is so strange to hear them tell their peers about mickey buttons, trachs and prosthetic eyes in their three and four year old versions.

That brings me to a place I had not thought of until recently. Hopefully you all read the email from Sandra and it stirred something in your hearts. When I first read it, it made me cry. A sharp reality pierced my heart. Not everyone cares enough to understand. Not everyone can embrace something that is different. People do indeed fear what they do not understand.

The email also brought about another fear for Ivey’s future. What if that was Ivey? What if someone were petitioning to keep Ivey out of their neighborhood? What if Matt and I reach a place in time where we cannot care for Ivey, either because of age or our own illnesses? They are all scary thoughts. And of all the scenarios that my mind has laid out for Ivey’s future, neither of those had ever crossed my mind. Sure we run into rude people, but petitioning to keep someone out of a neighborhood because of disabilities? I can’t imagine it, but obviously it happens. Fearing that one day I can not care for Ivey is even worse. These are the thoughts that I have to turn over. They are too much. I do not know the future nor should spend my time planning something that may or may not ever happen. Enjoy today.

This is all pretty much like Halloween. My mind planned for a second first Halloween – Ivey had something else in mind. Tami - you were right. Ivey was almost a Georgia cheerleader. However, our middle son decided not to be a football player after days of wanting to be a football player and well, Ivey ended up going as Ivey. Knox has his dad’s red and black blood flowing through him, no changing that mind.

4 comments:

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

I love the pictures of your boys and Ivey. And the little friend touching her:) So precious.

I can't imagine the temptation is must be to worry at times. I read a wonderful book about not worrying about tomorrow (not the entire purpose of the book but part of it). It's by Elizabeth George titles Loving God with All Your Mind. I bet it would bless you Gwen.

Praying for your sweet family!

Borbe Bunch said...

Fear is a really scary thing...I have found that the "unknown" is really hard for some people...well, most people...even though Ezzy doesn't have too many outside differences, his level of ability is what silences people, they just don't know what to say, so they say nothing at all, and act like he doesn't matter...it hurts my heart.
I have found that the more upbeat and joyful I am about my precious son, they more it spreads...but it can be SO hard to keep that up sometimes...
Honestly I can handle the stares and questions a LOT better from little ones, simply because they are not shy and they ask, I like that.
The future scares me too Gwen...so many unknowns and areas to fret about, I just have to give it over to God and ask Him to take care of it, cause TODAY has enough worries! :)
I feel connected, I feel blessed...thanks for being you.

Tink said...

Beautiful pictures.The children are so full of love, it just shines through!You have your Halloween for Ivey, so what if its in December....
Just think, Candy and Xmas presents! Now that's my kind of Holiday!!
Brightest Blessings to ALL.

Renee said...

The same discussion about the future for #2 weighs heavily in our home. The thought of us not being able to care for or protect him when he gets older makes my stomach drop. We constantly pray that his brothers will step up and take care of him without even thinking about it. I just assume not visit that topic much, but it has to be thought about. We live in a cruel world, and thinking on his future scares me. I know we cannot shelter him from it all, but yet it's a natural feeling.

And I love what you wrote about the boys' friends. I noticed that in the picture before I even read your post. There is obviously a sweet and special bond between Ivey and her brothers and friends.

(I emailed you about next Thursday. Hope I had the right address.)

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...