7.21.2007

Two Sons

Knox wins the 'Most Likely to be a Cowboy' award
Walker is the forever dare devil in boots (no matter the temperature)

Sometimes I feel overwhelmingly guilty that the boys are not as privileged to have a blog too, one that people check to see their personal progress and accomplishments. I would love to say that Ivey is our only topic, but here in the real world she is not. Life is more complex than Ivey alone. You read small glimpses of our life here. What you read here is so infinitely small compared to things that really matter, even many of the accomplishments you read about Ivey.

You see, the boys are no less than Ivey. They are what people dealing with special needs children call ‘normal’. Here in our home we know that Ivey has ‘special needs’ and we know that our sons are ‘normal’, but that is not how they are treated (to the best of our abilities). Unfortunately, Ivey does, at times, require special medical treatment. That does not in any way underscore that she is more special to us, her parents, than Knox and Walker. Still, the guilt of discerning between children is incredibly weighing. But the thing is, it was like that before Ivey was born. We always wanted to show the boys the same amount of attention and time. It is a battle parents fight no matter the situation.

Often I find that I do not give credit to how smart my sons really are. They know things that most people think they are too young to understand. It is infuriating to watch other people try to water things down for them, or if I explain that a kettle really is black; then the same people look at me like I just told things the boys should only hear at a determined age bracket. I get more upset with myself when I do the exact same thing to the boys. I constantly have to remind myself that they, Knox and Walker, get ‘IT’.

Where Matt and I have ridden an emotional roller coaster for over a year, so have the boys. Not only did Ivey spend her first month in a NICU and almost two months at Scottish Rite, the boys - then 3 and 2 - also spent time without their parents. Even though grandparents and friends were there every step of the way, it wasn’t the same. A mom is a mom and a dad is a dad. Just think, there were days we were home, but mentally we were far away fatigued and exhausted. Still, two little boys triumphed through the entire thing. Happy.

We brought a special little girl home to two very special little boys. I spend my time filling this blog with information about Ivey for adults to understand her, and still many do not. Continually, we go out in to the public for adults to misinterpret that Ivey is a human being capable of love, without pity. Two little boys, now 4 and 2 ¾, have never ever treated Ivey different or ‘special’ for that matter. She is their sister. To them, she's just a sister. They play with her, talk to her, whine when she kicks them, just like any other brother would do with a sister.

The world hasn’t taught them that she is different – yet. Hopefully, by the time the world intrudes into our life, all of you will know the difference too. That being, there are special circumstances but nothing different. In the meantime, we have three beautiful children. They are all three unique and special in their own very special way.

6 comments:

Just Tera said...

Wonderful post. My biggest pet peeve is when people only ask me how Emma is doing. I have two other sons and when people only focus on Emma it hurts my heart a little. I try to respond with "She's doing great and so are Bennett and Cooper." They may not get it but I hope if Bennett and Cooper are in ear shot they get that my love and focus is on them just as much.
You have such a good grasp on things and a beautiful family. When we had Emma's eyes made we had them use Bennett as the model eyes. Figured they would have looked similar anyways. After reading your post CC wondered if maybe they couldnt do a hybrid of both of your boys... Like maybe brown with green flecks (dont know their eye colors).

Connie Barris said...

You know.. I guess not being in your shoes... "I wouldn't think"... this being the problem...I don't see things from your angle.. and it is so very helpful to see from your view...

not meaning to be this way but I'm sure I could be held guilty..

thank you for teaching us--- me...what it's like to live in your shoes...

I know what it can be like in the most "normal" of normal circumstances.. even then, I can get my feelings hurt... so I can only imagine if the situation is magnified...to a "new" normal...

Thanks Gwen

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Amen... you sure do have 3 special children. In so many ways your boys are learning things I can only hope and pray my girls learn someday. That is... to love people through their challenges and for who God created them to be.

God has blessed your little ones so much with a Mommy who loves them deeply, that is so easy to see:)

Leslie said...

Beautiful, Gwen.

A friend of ours, whose son has DS, also has a younger daughter. Laura (the daughter) told her mom once that she felt insignificant around Jonathan. When they were in public everyone addressed Jon, hugged Jon, spoke to Jon...but they just assumed Laura didn't "need" the attention. When in fact, she very much needed it and felt left out. I took that to heart. While people do go out of their way to make Jon feel welcome, they tend to overlook the fact that there is another child. Right now we only have Jack...but this will come into play for us someday.
Knox and Walker are such beautiful boys. And great big brothers...

♥ ♥ ♥

Renee said...

We dealt with some of the same issues that Leslieann was talking about, and it's heart wrenching. But it's gone both ways. People think that #2 is so cute that he gets all of the attention or either they think that he cannot do anything so the others get invited to do things. I think it's easier as parents to treat them equal...even though we still get that wrong many days.

Your boys are going to make great cowboys. Our oldest lived in his boots for the longest time. I think I finally had to convence him that they were too hot to wear sometimes.

Borbe Bunch said...

Agreeing with you fully!
Glad to be able to read your heart and see that another sweet family
"walks" in similiar shoes to us...
not exactly the same, but similiar, and refreshing to see how the family balance between siblings can be hard, but worth it in the end when all kiddos learn to love and cherish each individual for the BLESSING and beauty they bring to the family!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...