Skip to main content

This is your ever happiest Mother's Day ever.

That's what Knox said this morning. He is right. It is.

The other day a friend quoted something she had read that said something to the effect of..
raising children (toddlers) is like being pecked to death by chickens.
I think we could all attest to that one at times. Atleast I can.

As much as I have loved being a mother, this year alone I have found out exactly what it means to be a mother. There are no limits. It is not always fun. At times my heart swells, others times it breaks. Nevertheless, it always mends. I will walk through fire for my children. I have done just that at certain moments of this year. Not just for Ivey, but also for my two sons.

Last night Matt and I went to a wedding. I sat and wondered what their future held for them. I could not help but smile when I thought of today. What would the person from my wedding have said to the idea of entering into this life that we are now living? Most often, sooner than later, the wife becomes a mom.

I did not get 'it' growing up. Thus, I tested every imaginable boundary with my mom. There are days I guess I still test her. My mom has that same love for me and my sister, yet she loves us both the way we needed to be loved. She will walk through hell for us when she has to. There have been days that she and I have touched the flames of hell together in this past year. Neither of us would trade those day for anything. She laughs. She smiles. Sometimes I get a glimpse of how proud she is to be my mom. I hope she sees how proud I am of her. My mom is a tower of strength.

There are three women who also play important roles in the lives of my children. They are not family by blood, but family by choice. Two Sundays ago they stood together and vowed to love and lead my three children through their lives. Unlike times before, this time they knew the job at hand would have uncertainties, triumphs and at times would be just plain ole' hard work. I consider them brave souls. Each has her own great and unique qualities and personality. Knox and Walker each have one Godmother. Ivey has three.

I have done the hardest deed a mother can do. I admit my weaknesses. To be a good mother to my three children, I will not be able to do it alone; I need help. So Knox has a Godmother, Miranda, she is also Ivey's. Walker has a Godmother, Tasha, she is also Ivey's. Then Ivey has a Godmother that is hers alone, Traci. A circle is complete. Sometimes a mother's love extends well beyond her own heart. It is also in the hearts of her friends.



gwen

Comments

Linda said…
Happy Mother's Day Gwen! I hope you have a wonderful day.
Sarah said…
Happy Mother's Day Gwen! I woke up this morning thankful for this one, unlike last year, when Addie was a miniature newborn with a host of problems and a huge hole in her heart. Today, she was fat and sassy, grinning at me from her crib, and I was VERY thankful that it's 2007, not 2006!

I hope this Mother's Day was PEACEFUL for you!!
Anonymous said…
This was a nice post including all those who touch our hearts as a mother's would. Happy Mother's Day!
Happy Mother's Day, Gwen. I can only imagine how proud your mother is of you. What a blessing to have each other to walk together through it all this year. I definitely did not get it growing up, either. My mother had to be very patient with me.

And happy birthday to sweet Ivey. I loved the pictures of how much she is growing and especially that determined look she has. Wonder where she got to be such a fighter?
Leslie said…
Happy Mother's Day! ♥
Happy Mother's Day Gwen! What a blessing it has been to watch you Mother your three little ones over the last several months. Your determination to walk through those flames has been such an inspiration to me.

May God bless you and your family!
Renee said…
Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, Gwen. And I love the quote comparing raising children to being pecked by chickens. I think I can relate. And yes, we are fellow Georgians...about an hour and a half from you.
Gwen, 'being pecked by chickens', I swear I think I'll remember that for a long, long time. It's just so appropriate some days. Other days, it's like the biggest, softest hug ever. And that's what keeps you putting up with the pecking. Happy Mom's Day to you! xoxoxo Bev
Erin said…
Happy belated mother's day!!! I hope your day was your ever happiest ever!!!
Unknown said…
Gwen-
I love the new pictures of Ivey doing all her PT tricks. She looks so happy. I had not seen this before I treated her today - yet again I am inspired by Ivey, you, and your family. I hope you had the most wonderful mother's day.
Love,
Rebecca (the PT)

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu