12.05.2006

Back at Floyd Hospital

Ivey was admitted into Floyd for observation early Monday morning. Around 6:15 Monday morning Ivey had her first seizure. We transported her via EMT to the hospital. She did stay overnight for observation and seems to be doing well. She is on medication that will prevent her from having other seizures. Ivey will also have procedures today to try and determine where to go from here.

We have known from the beginning that some children with Ivey's genetic diagnosis have been known to have seizures. However, not all have them. We were hoping to have dodged the bullet. More than likely this seizure was not a single incident, she will probably be prone to seizures in the future. They can be controlled with medication. The focus will be on 'Why?' she is having them.

There are so few known cases of this particular genetic diagnosis. There is a very limited amount of information so it is vertually impossible to predict her future. As with many genetic disorders, such as Downs, there is information to compare; Ivey's situation is not so simple. Everyone uses their best medical experience and still Ivey seems to do her own thing.

So she is here at Floyd on the pediatric wing.

Gwen.

11 comments:

Erin said...

I am praying. I am so sorry to hear about her seizure. You are certainly in our thoughts.

It has been awhile, but I can still see the Pediatric Wing in my mind. I think all of the nurses who worked when I was there are probably gone, but I am praying that whoever is there is taking good care of sweet Ivey.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Oh Gwen, I'm so sorry for the set back. My Mom use to have seizures so I know how horrible they are to watch. I am praying for your peace and that God would spare Ivey from having any more seizures.

And even though men don't know much about Ivey's condition, God does. He knit her together just the way He planned. She is precious!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Oh Gwen, I'm so sorry for the set back. My Mom use to have seizures so I know how horrible they are to watch. I am praying for your peace and that God would spare Ivey from having any more seizures.

And even though men don't know much about Ivey's condition, God does. He knit her together just the way He planned. She is precious!

Erin said...

Oh, my flat screens!! I am so thankful that what you are experiencing is way better than I imagined!! I knew the hospital had undergone some renovations. I am glad to know that it included the Peds wing!! I hate you all have to be back in the hospital, but at least you are in town!

By the way, I love Ivey's cardiologist. Erik used to play basketball with him when we lived there. Jen told me that you were going to him. Sweet man!

Lei said...

oh, hugs. i am so sorry that this challenge grows. hang in there and stay strong!

Anonymous said...

Gwen, I'm so sorry to hear about the seizures. Addie is prone, too, but she hasn't yet had one. I'm thinking about y'all and praying hard for your sweet one, and for strength and hope for yourself.

And isn't that crazy that my dear friend Erin worked at the hospital Ivey is in? Small world:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt & Gwen,

Matt, it was so wonderful to see you again. And Gwen, I cannot wait to meet you and Ivey. Brian and I think about you all every day and pray that you keep strong and that things get a little easier along the way. There is always an open door in Campbell River, B.C. for your family. We have the ocean at our back door, beautiful beaches, mountains, and woods, as Matt already knows. Take care and love to all.
Mevi

Anonymous said...

Im praying for you all... I read this other day and left a comment but it didnt post- Please know that I life you all up daily and think about you often..

Heather

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that I have been absent, please know that Ivey is always in my thoughts. I hope that all are doing well.

Erin said...

Thinking about you and praying for you! I am hoping you are home now.

Pam said...

Found you through Sarah. I'll be praying for your sweet Ivey and your family. I hope you're home by now, too. Incidentally, we live fairly close to you as well. It IS a small world.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...