11.28.2006

Plan C and D

As I said, make no plans.

We miss our daughter; they miss their sister; we long for our family.

Today Ivey's homecoming was stalled for one more day. We guestimate that she will now come home on Thursday, but do not be suprised if it turns out to be Monday. The hold up revolves around our nursing service. Nurses just are not available for our area. Amazing, we live in a town with two great hospitals and a nursing school and there is a shortage of nurses. So, if anyone out there is interested or knows someone who is interested in pediatric home health care, I would love to send you information to contact our agency. We seem to be stuck at square one.

Matt really wanted me to share our good news with all of you. I am not quite sure how to word this so you experience our excitement about today's events with Ivey. I know that I have mentioned this, but I have not spent much time on it. With the trach, Ivey no longer makes sound. The air to her lungs is rerouted; therefore, the air does not pass through her vocal cords. Ivey has been 'mute' for the past month. We watch her face squinch up when she cries, but there is no sound. She smiles, but no sound of squeels or excitement. No cooing or 'talking' back to us. We have not heard her sweet sounds in over a month. All things that she was doing before the trach.

Today for the first time the respiratory therapist placed an attachment to the trach that allows for air to enter through the trach, close off the trach, then the air passes over the vocal cords and out her nose. Thus,

SOUND!!

The emotion of that moment surpassed the feeling of the first breath and cry of a newborn. It brought tears to our eyes.

Let me just say that she had plenty of built up thoughts on the past month. She told us the news. Three babies come into our home and today is the first time I have wanted one to cry. The respiratory therapist warned us that many babies would not take to the valve and it may not be an option. After a few minutes, Ivey stopped crying and started making sounds - just to hear herself. And then she fell asleep.

I had forgotten how wonderful it sounds when babies sleep and they take that deep breath and let it out in a 'hmph'. The sound that lets you know they are in deep deep sleep. It is the little things that make this world go round!

Ivey not coming home today or tomorrow has probably been a blessing. Both Knox and Walker have had a bug with fevers. No since bringing her home to that. So, it has actually worked out for the best.

gwen.

5 comments:

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Wish I could have heard her little sounds! How neat it is to appreciate things that we often just take for granted. I will pray that you have patience as you wait this out and that you little boys get better. Also for a great nursing staff!!!

Willingham13 said...

Gwen,

I am looking at the no nurse situation as God preparing the right nurse to come to Ivey the first time. We all know that God is walking with Ivey and your family daily. Chalk it up as he knew what he was doing since both boys are not feeling well. Another one of your God moments. His plan for Ivey is already written and when the time is right, she will be able to come home.

We can't wait to have you all back in the city with us.

Sending all of our love,
Morgan and Monica

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you! Hearing those sweet sounds from her must have been so precious!!

I'm praying for just the right nurse for you guys--and for her to get there quick!

Blair's Mom & Dad said...

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes! I am so happy that you, Matt and sweet Ivey were able to hear her precious sounds again!! I continue to pray for y'all and especially that y'all will be home soon with the perfect nurses to take care of y'all! Love y'all-

Erin said...

Oh my, Gwen, tears are rolling down my cheeks! I can only imagine how wonderfully precious those sweet baby sounds are to you!! Know that my heart rejoices with you!!

It wasn't long ago that my husband was a resident at one of those great hospitals in your home town, and I worked on the peds floor there. How I wish that we still lived in that community so that I could come and take care of sweet Ivey at night for you!! I would so very much love to do it!! My heart longs to do it. . . But, I feel that a five hour commute might be a bit exausting!! So, I will continue to pray for God to bring His perfect nurse to Ivey.

Praying for your boys to feel better, too.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...