10.03.2006

Sisters in Heart

I watched her say ‘I do’. I have often wondered what she thinks about when she looks at her wedding pictures. Wedding days are filled with hopes and dreams full of bliss and romance, the idea of hard times to come completely nonexistent. Here she is only a short few years later with a tower of a husband, two small children and now she has cancer.

An email I received yesterday made me think of her. The email was about sisters, all sisters, girlfriends, mothers, daughters, aunts, mother-in-laws, sister-in-laws, and cousins. No matter the family you make, the sisters are the ones to see you through, women need one another. Personally, I have experienced the strength of sisters. I hope my friend feels the same assurance from her sisters. Now like no other time, she needs us, her sisters in heart.

She has been my friend since elementary school. Now she lives on the same block. She is a person of love and compassion who never wants to burden anyone with her trials and tribulations. The past few years of her life have been intertwined with the news of pregnancies, melanoma, births, radiation, changing diapers, strokes, first steps, surgeries, and birthday parties. Yet, every time I see her she has a smile.

As tough as this is, I hope she knows there is a circle of sisters cheering her on. She will make it through this. We will be on the edge of the valley waiting and if we have to, we will walk down to carry her out.

Gwen.

No comments:

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...