7.24.2006


The World Through Ivey's Eyes........

I have been sitting and staring at the computer for about 30 minutes now. I can't quite figure out how to start this update. Today has been a day where we have gone through the motions and feel like we are temporarily substituting for the people who are really living this life. Does that make sense? Matt and I drove Ivey to Atl. again today. However, today we met with the Ocularist, he is not at Scottish Rite, but located off of Howell Mill Road. After another night of absolutely no sleep, I have decided I should probably let others in and give them/you the opportunity to walk with us through all of "this".

Ivey is now in the process of preparing the space where her eyes should be for prosthetic eyes. She is wearing enamel conformers in her eyes to help stretch the lids to allow for the synthetic eyes to fit into the socket space. Filling the space where her eyes should be will help encourage the sockets to grow and have a more normal appearance. As Matt and I were driving home, we both decided we should prepare you to see her. Ivey's conformers are clear and have a shell shape; they fit over the tissue where her eyes should be. It is startling to see the clear knobs that protrude out from between her eyelids. She will probably wear the conformers for 18 months and then be able to receive her first pair of eyes. She will wear the conformers every day all day. I would like to think this is normal, but it is not. Every week I will take them out, clean them and replace them.

On our way home today, we stopped for lunch. We have become accustomed to the fact that people will see the baby carrier, walk up and not know how to react to the baby with all of the attachments. We have been able to hold our heads high and explain the feeding tube, the mouth appliance and her eyes. The conformers have taken this to a whole new level. My heart broke as I explained to Knox what the conformers were. If a three year old can get "it", shouldn't everyone else? Thankfully, we have family and friends to help get us through this. I have been very fortunate to have great friends and my mom, who has been my backbone, to pull me through this. I used to think I was a strong person. I am not so sure anymore. How could I ever compare to this tiny baby and all she has overcome and accomplished in her short existence? I can't imagine the courage it takes for Tasha and Miranda to choose to jump into the middle of this with no fear or hesitation. I have heard a lot of talk about God lately and the choices that he made to get me and Ivey to this place. I am not so certain of the idea that God will not give me more than I can handle. Why was I chosen? How was Ivey chosen? Why were you chosen to be touched by this? Maybe I can handle this because I am surrounded by so many other strong friends and family who can "handle" this too.... If you have ever questioned God and why he does things that don't quite make since, just stop and take a close look at yourself. I had stop and look around and here is what I found.....He is there when I look at my husband and babies. He is in the smiles and tears of my family. I hear him in the voices of my friends. Ivey knows him through the compassion and love of people who have never met her. Maybe this his way of keeping us all grounded. Maybe Ivey's inability to see the world through her eyes gives her the greater ability to see the world strictly through her heart.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Gwen, I posted just today about that verse that people so often mention whenever somebody is going through something hard. They say, "God will never give you more than you can bear." In actuality, the verse doesn't say that. It says that God will never allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear.

If we never felt unable to bear this life, we wouldn't see any need for Him.

And I know that what we're going through with our daughter is beyond what I can bear. That's when I need Jesus to step in beside me and help me carry the load.

I'm praying for you tonight.

kim said...

I have come back repeatedly and asked myself why. Was I just curious to see how this little one would progress physically? Was I anxious to see a miracle lived out? Was I understanding because we have had a bit of a rough start with a little one (not even comparable to sweet Ivey)?

I realized tonight it was none of those things, not really. It was God placing you on my heart to lift up and pray for your family. For your boys and who they will become through having a dear little sister to love and protect. For you as you attempt to adjust to your new reality. For all of the rest of your supporting family.

Isn't God big? I don't even need to know you to bring you before Him and He listens. I pray you will feel His presence in a very real way, even on the hardest of days.
And when you just need to rant or cry or wonder a bit, lots of us are good at listening but never forget God is just waiting to take every word, every feeling, every attack we throw at Him. His arms long to comfort when human comfort just isn't enough.

These verses have been my life verses for a very long time. I pray they will stay with you when you need them.

Lamentations 3: 19-26 (sortof, it's hard to stop in this chapter!)

vs.21-23... this I call to mind and therefore I have HOPE. because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed for His compassion never fails, They are new every morning, Great is His faithfulness. . .

praying.

Willingham13 said...

Gwen,

In times of doubt I always turn to this poem and it reminds me that God will never leave our side.I am sure you know this but thought it would bring a sigh of relief if you read it.

Footprints in the Sand

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the Lord. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life. This really bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, You said that once I decided to follow you, You'd walk with me all the way. But I noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me." The Lord replied, "My son, My precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then I Carried You."

God is carrying Ivey, you, Matt and the boys during this time. He has chosen you and has plans for you and your family that we do not understand at this time. But he has given you three beautiful children and knows that you will love each them unconditionally.

I continously pray for you and your family.

Mon

Jennifer said...

Gwen-
This was absolutely beautiful. THANK YOU for your honesty. I was going to send you over to Sarah's post--and then saw she had already commented.
I think that we can only really experience God when we have been broken and our pride has had to step aside and realize that none of us can really handle life on our own.

It is so unfortunate to me the little games people play of pretending they have it all together....it simply sets everyone else up around them to feel like failures.

We continue to pray for you & this journey you are on! PLEASE let us know if there is anything practical we can do to help. Seriously.

The Scotts

Willingham13 said...

Gwen,

The past couple of days my heart has been reaching out for you and find myself searching for answers; even though, I know that I don't have any for you. Last night, I was reading to Morgan and ran across a series of books called "Dear God Kids." I don't know if you have ever seen them but they all deal with issues that kids face. One book is called "Dear God, Thanks for Making Me Special." When I saw this, I just had to post this for you to read and hope that it will bring some joy into your heart. There are several little short stories but I will only pick one.

"Dear God,
What do you think?
God takes one good look at you and remembers the day He made your fingers and toes, chose your height and your hair color, put in your own little personality, and smiled at the you He had created. If you had put that much thought and love into something you had made, wouldn't you think it was extra special? That's how God feels about you."

Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings. Psalm 17:8

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...