Skip to main content

Easter Egg Hunt Musings

In my endeavor to expose the hidden thoughts of a mom with a child with special needs, I feel it would be beneficial to expose some of the random (and sometimes not so random) ramblings that surge through my head from time to time.  Also, I feel it beneficial to expose the same ramblings when thinking of my "typical" boys in light of living with a sister with special needs as well.  However, as the years pass, I am learning that many abnormal and weird things that boys do are apparently normal when speaking of boys.  This includes the oldest boy - my husband.

Let's start by letting you know that I will label these amusing brain synapses under the tag "Musings". Simple enough.  Found under this label will be the things I often wonder, but fear to ask, or ask, and hear crickets chirping in reply. This will be the section of "Is it normal for me to wonder"........ "IS THIS N.O.R.M.A.L?"

With Easter fast approaching, I will start with The Easter Egg Hunt Musings.



This is one of the very last pictures in my collection marking Life before Ivey.  It was Easter 2006.

Mere weeks before Ivey was born this is what things looked like.  The two little blondes are Knox and Walker.  They were tiny.  I was not.  As you can see my timer says - "done".  The dark beauties are my sister-in-law, niece and nephew, along with our beautiful mother-in-law.








Easter musings go a little like this.

1st Easter post Ivey:

With two toddling boys in tow, we began the egg hunt circuit with trach, suction machine, apnea monitor and feeding pump.  Just another ordinary egg hunt(s), plural because in those first few years, one hunt is definitely not enough.  Boy #1 was old enough to find his own eggs.  Boy #2 could not find eggs without us pointing them out with gusto.  Ivey was a baby so she did what all babies do best at egg hunts - she let her mama and daddy find her eggs.  Should you be wondering, I prefer tootsie rolls in Ivey's plastic easter eggs.




2nd Easter post Ivey:

Boys no longer toddling.  They are running full force in urgency to get to all of the eggs before anyone else.  Moments of dread surge as we witness every manner lesson fly out the door.  It's quite comical to watch 3, 4 and 5 year olds "search" for eggs lying in broad daylight.  And, my sweet friend, please take note that this is VERY TYPICAL BEHAVIOR FOR BOYS AROUND THE 5th YEAR!  Roll with it.  A primal instinct is flowing through their veins.  Hunt.  Capture.  Our little prodigies are devastated when teachers, parents and clergy take said hunted eggs and divide them evenly amongst the masses.  They fought hard for those egg, yet - BAM - all that hard work must be evenly divided.  Unhappy and confused children preside - crying can emerge. Again, typical behavior.  Seriously, they must all have the same number of eggs despite their valiant efforts to be reigning egg master.  There are no winners in egg hunting.  (I view this along the same lines of everyone getting a trophy for winning or lack there of.  Somewhat ridiculous.)



Now this is where it started getting interesting with Ivey.  She was still in tow with all appropriate life supplying equipment.  She was still not mobile.  She was still hearing impaired. She was still blind.  Thus, she still required someone to hunt her eggs for her.  Just a wee reminder if you missed it earlier, I really like tootsie rolls in Ivey's easter eggs.  Nevertheless, we, her parents, and several diligent friends made it our life's mission to locate talking eggs.  You know, those for the blind.  By George, Ivey was going to have as typical an Easter as everyone else.  Friends were valiant in their efforts, as were we.  I couldn't imagine Ivey not having the same experience as the boys, as the image I had in my mind of a blissful Easter.

(Side note - To this very day when I am all alone in the house and down in the dark spaces of our basement, one of those blamed eggs will start talking out of the complete blue.  And they say, "Hello, is there anybody out there?  Let me out. Let me out!"  They are freaky.  I silently hate them.  Sorry Lori.  I really have tried to love them.  I can never figure out which one is still "on" because they only talk when I walk away.  These things are worse than clowns.)


3rd Easter post Ivey:

It hit me.  By this point some serious life adjustments had taken place and I was starting to get a hold of life with my blind child. To be cautious, I have no idea what life is like with other children who are blind. 

Life with my blind child is quite simple.
Everyday is an Easter egg hunt.  Every . Single . Day  =  Egg . Hunt  

Why in the world was I worried about talking eggs?  It was hard enough trying to find things that are stationary day in and day out.  And did I really want her hunting those freaky little eggs screaming "Let me out, let me out?"

 It was then that I had one of my first great awakenings.  (Yes, this is just one, there are many.)

Maybe, just maybe, all things typical were not something Ivey would give a hoot about.  Should I give a hoot about them?  In a different type of blind world, maybe egg hunting is fun, just not in Ivey's world.  I always feel like it is us trying to stuff our girl into a pre-made mold.  She just doesn't fit.  Ever.  And - that's okay.  Seriously, it's okay.  She was made to shine.

So we struck a balance (at least we tried) between the two worlds our children reside - somewhere between 'typical' and 'special'.

STILL - I can't help but think that egg hunts are the oxymorons of the blind world.

............................

Three lessons come from this -

First, you will have your "something(s)" that just don't fit anymore.  Go with it.  There will be many.

When these girls entered our lives, the world came crashing down.  It crashed, which means something broke.  Not everything broken needs to be fixed.  Replace the broken with something stronger.  An egg hunt broke me, but you will have your own something - it will be okay.  Build.

God gave us these beautiful girls to see the world from a very unique angle.  There will be slivers of pain when you just want her to experience what YOU know as normal, push through it.  Eat a tootsie roll, they always make me feel better.  Live the life that is given  - expect the unexpected.  Most things still shock the hell out of me.

And yes, this world is often lonely, very lonely, but beautiful.  Find someone who can celebrate the crazy talking eggs and with you.  That will be a journey far beyond any journey.  That will be a friend who is special, sent especially for you.  Let them in.

Second, the importance of Holidays will shift.  Holidays will be different from here on out.  You will see less of the marketing and more of the meaning.  Be grateful. We only have one trip around the sun.

Third, don't forget the boys.  They need the typical.  Do your best.  Make memories. This will often take an unimaginable amount of effort.

And the silent fourth, it is okay to ask, "Is this Normal"?  I do this every single day.
............................

Now we have hit a new phase.  Easter egg hunts seem to be a thing of our past.  At least now I can stick with the "age appropriate" thing to do at Easter time.  With a few years down the road .....  I couldn't even find a picture of this past Easter.  So a Christmas picture it is.  Just so you know - I am trying to take my own unsolicited advice.

                                                                                                                            Christmas 2015










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu