Skip to main content

The Un-teach-able

There are alot of things that I would love to take credit for - alot. But when it comes down to it, I have absolutely no influence..... None. Notta.

Like this morning, Walker was up first (before Knox and Ivey) and came into Ivey's bedroom where Matt and I were (after changing of the guards with the nurse). Unfortunately it was time to get the day going. So Matt went one direction to get ready for work and I went the other to get uniforms out for school. In the meantime, Walker took Matt's place next to Ivey to keep her company while she slept and while I got the clothes.

This is what I came back to at 6:30 am this morning - Ivey still fast asleep with Walker sporadically reading what he could to her from the Lorax.
The photos I snuck before he realized it -
And this...Ivey's clothes out for the day - complements of Walker.

One black and white striped shirt.
One pair of polka-dotted pants.
One pair of socks.
Shoes.
Without fail- she wore this outfit to school.
She was sound asleep, but I hope his voice sent her sweet dreams. I hope she felt him near her and drifted into a deeper sleep full of security and comfort. I hope that these moments carry on throughout their lives together, always, that they forever remember these times. Both of them.
But without utter fail, these are qualities you just can't teach - I can't teach - these are qualities of the heart.

Comments

Unknown said…
What a beautiful post... what a beautiful boy... What a beautiful moment you captured... Thanks for sharing x
Rhonda Miller said…
What a loving big brother. How sweet.
Heather said…
Another incredible little guy you have there Gwen.Really and truly incredible.

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu