5.11.2010

The Coaxing Of the Curly Hair


As we (Ivey and I) were waiting on the elevator to take us up to the fifth floor for her doctor's appointment yesterday there was a sweet man waiting. He looked at Ivey and grinned then proceeded to wave at her and make baby talk with her. Ivey never acknowledged him. I just smiled and looked down at her. I thought it best to not embarrass him in front of the gathering line for the elevator.

Doors opened and in we squeezed.

Considering that Ivey was in her chair there wasn't much standing room in the tiny little elevator. He was standing beside her. He looked at me and said, "Is she, uh, well, how is she, good, I mean, uh…" Tongue twisted for words.

"Oh, she is great. Doing great now. She is blind and she doesn't hear well that's why she didn't acknowledge you before."

He said, "Oh that is good news, and uh, well, I um…... I tell you, that is some curly hair she has!"

"Yes sir, it is. I don't know what to do with it most days."

We were at our floor – the doors opened – I told him thank you for asking about her and off we went. Chances are we will never cross his path again.

But he confirmed, again, what I know to undoubtedly be true.

Early on at a conference I attended, one of the instructors suggested parents place an item on the wheelchair, walker or on the child – to give people a focal point. Something that they like, something to give others as a topic for conversation. An inclusive talking point.

I stumbled over that for a while. No matter what I tried it went unnoticed. The focal point was always the tubes, eyes/lack of, hearing aids, pump …..

And then her hair started to finally grow. It took three years for that blonde hair of hers to spiral out of her head and now, a year after her hair finally sprouted, I have my list of confirmations. Her hair is really the first thing most notice about Ivey, give or take, especially from a distance. Her talking point.

Not only is it her focal point, people ask me all the time if they can touch it. Just feel those spirals.
It's amazing how things work out. Ivey needs touch more than anything in this world – and she sprouted hair that lures people to want to touch her.

I would have to say that didn't happen by chance – considering that her mom, dad and two brothers got notta in the curl department. Must've been another one of those ordinary miracles –

Thanks miracle man.

6 comments:

KrisKay said...

It is some gorgeous hair!

Anonymous said...

I just love this post!
Love, Jill
http://ibfamlife.wordpress.com/

Colleen said...

She has very cute curls! Isaac has nice hair too and it makes for a fun conversation starter. It's nice when people start noticing other things besides the disability/tubes.

Connie Barris said...

you have a way with words.. it makes me feel as if I was right there with you...amazing post...
I can't wait to touch her curls!!

Jennifer said...

I love that miracle man!!! What an awesome post!

Heather said...

Ordinary miracle indeed.

And many,many thanks to the Miracle Man.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...