4.18.2010

Locked In or Locked Out? Not sure which.


Yesterday as I was in the Pier I, Michaels, Barnes and Nobles, etc. parking lot, parked in our front and center handicap parking spot, propped up against my car, trying to look cool casual with my few minutes to spare, I started thinking. Now get ready for the blonde moment…. "I really need to carry a spare key on me at all times. Literally ON me- maybe as earrings or some fashionable bracelet. "

So where to begin?? Rewind you through this or fast forward? How bout in the middle?

Last February – a year ago – I had to get my license renewed. Ivey and I drove out to the State Patrol barracks for that lovely little photo opt. Repeat: The State Patrol….. Yep did it there, locked Ivey in the car, with the keys, in the middle of February. Imagine explaining that to the lady about to renew my licenses – her head dropped down – looking at me from underneath her eyelids –as she swayed her head from side to side and said – "You did what?!". Can I call my husband? She asked "How old is she?" Two. "Is she crying?" No. "Can she see you?" No. Moment of silence. "Why?" She's blind. (Dum.dum.dum.) "Can she hear you?" Probably not. Eyebrow raised. Stare. Pause in the conversation.

You can see where this conversation was going.

But on a side note – separation anxiety hasn't really ever been a problem with Ivey. Yeah.

Called Matt: that was another conversation full of pauses. An hour later, me frozen like a Popsicle, and Matt's spare key – Ivey escaped.

This is a persistent problem – locking the keys in my car – not necessarily each time with Ivey in the car. I've locked Ivey and I out of the car at more than one doctors' appointment to which we have paid a gazillion dollars for locksmiths.

It was such a problem early on in our marriage that when Matt and I went to get a new car to carry our new bundle of joy in (Knox) the requirement was a car with a keyless entry. That would be a Ford expedition if anyone is interested.

That rolled off of a little incident where I had shut down Magic Touch carwash for an entire afternoon after locking the keys in the car – with the car in park - turned off – not neutral – so the car wouldn't roll down the conveyer belt. Legendary.

And now three kids later. A minivan. To which I have to say is a limo for kids, but they really do need to think about that keyless entry.

There was also the time last summer when I locked me, Knox and Walker out of the house and Ivey IN the house – leaving me to scale up to our second floor deck – (not worried about any robber doing that in the near future) – to enter through the house like Superwoman/Catwoman – but that is another story…..

Yesterday was another award winning moment. Mother of the Year. Ivey locked in the car. Me locked out.

And it is really NOT as funny as the events are actually unfolding, except for yesterday - it was down right funny.  So there I stood next to the car - alone - everyone in town slowly driving by - looking at me - some waved - and me giggling - alone (or so it seemed).  It must have looked as if I were talking to myself (or really yelling) as I spoke very loudly to Ivey in the car.  ....  get the visual.  It looked as if I were talking to my car for a minimum of thirty minutes......

So I send a shout out to the two girls who let the strange lady who approached them in a parking lot use their phone. I thank Miranda for actually answering her phone when an unknown number appeared. And of course –thanks to the hubby- who again was my knight riding up in his white SUV -

So seriously – anyone got a good idea about some fashionable jewelry skillfully made out of my house key and car key?

6 comments:

KrisKay said...

I know that Tiffany & Co. has a gorgeous old fashioned key necklace... you could just simply substitute your car key! :)
(http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP02486&mcat=148204&cid=573050&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+573050-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+)

Dawn Irmscher said...

I know they make those little boxes that have magnets on thema nd they stick to the underside of your car. I had one for a while, until steve found it and took it off saying that any good car thief knew to look for those. I might go and get me one tommorrow in hopes a car thief will steal my car! haha

Heather BT said...

I've made bracelets of beads, and simply added a key ring onto it. I've given them for Christmas gifts; I've seen them selling for $20 each, different brands, at boutiques. If you have a bracelet you wear, think about just adding a ring to it. If you don't - send me a wrist measurement, and a color and I'll make one (or Calli will, she loves to) and send it over to you.
BTW I am also an infamous car locker. Thank God for Bill, before him, I had one of those magnetic key holders, and those can get lost.

Connie Barris said...

When my dad was living, every Christmas I would get the little metal key box that goes under my car...

I seem to have the same history.. and it is hereditary..

I remember one year when I received a call from Rome High School... Chyenne was on the other end, "Mom, I need you to come and unlock my car.."

ok.. I get it..I've done that a million times.. no problem...

"Mom," Chyenne said with a trembling voice, "I've left the car running."

It was all I could do to contain myself

Plus this was two hours later...and the security guard just happened by...

How do you do that??

Get you a box...

and for the house, buy one of those rocks with a place for a key... it can be hidden well enough...my friend has one and it looks real

Tammy said...

AAA!! It's well worth the money, and they will come unlock your car for you. Of course you have to be able to get to a phone to call them :)

My husband is famous for locking his keys in the car so we had to go with AAA. I even got him a spare key and he put that in his console, so that didn't do him any good!

Shannon said...

Spare in one of those magnet things.....spare in your purse. I love the idea of a "spare" of earrings.......Did ya get that one??
:)
-Shannon in Austin

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...