4.20.2010

A Job at Kroger


Last week during Ivey's IEP meeting I asked the teachers, therapists and staff to see Ivey as a Kroger employee– the person who stands at the end of the cashier line bagging your groceries. That is a job that both Matt and I desire as a possibility in Ivey's future.

A job.
A means to give back to the system that gives to her.
A way to enable herself.
A manner to be an independent person / human being outside of her parents.

I asked her teachers to then work backward from that goal and begin to teach Ivey life skills needed.  What mountains will we move over the course of the next few years - so that Ivey can greet you at the end of your line at Kroger? 

I had the honor of knowing one of the baggers at our Kroger when he was in high school. Stanley. I have also come to know another. Sean. No matter the length of the line – if one of them is working – that's my line.


I call them by name. I ask about their life outside of Kroger. I treat them how I want Ivey to be treated. How I like to be treated. And, I always try to tip them well – because I know they are really working harder to do a good job - that to do their job well – it takes more effort. (That's my little secret though.)


So I pick my battles – though I do not seem to pick them well. But I am determined to make a difference in my beautiful girl's life. Even if it is a minimal difference, I pray that my intentions are never in vain.


Luckily today Ivey was with her gran-gran while I went shopping at Kroger.


Today as the obnoxious lady screamed at one of her two sons – she belittled him by asking if he were 'retarded'.
I froze – only feet from her.
She went on 'do you want me to commit you are something? Humph…
'YOooU RETARD'.

This type of scenario is a weekly occurance.  Or,  situations where laughing is envolved and the 'retard' in the story is comical...being made fun of....how could someone be That stupid....intellectually stupid...stupid....they take the short bus to school.....

I stared – heart beating in my throat – hands shaking – adrenaline swirling - fighting back the urge to grab her by the arm. Shake her. She stared back at me. Then her eyes dropped to the ground.


And I became the coward. I didn't stand up for what is right –


I fought back tears and was thankful that Ivey's ears were innocent of her words.


I was also thankful when I got to the front of the store that Stanley and Sean were nowhere in sight. They are good people trying to do a job – not come to work to be stereotyped or demeaned because of a fate in life that they did not chose. As is Ivey, two people leading a life that no one would wish for – ever. No one prays this life for their children.


What would she have said had I turned to her son and asked him 'Well, are you a retard?'


But Ivey and Stanley and Sean – carry their crosses well.


And it is OUR job in this world to help them.


Since I consider anyone who reads Ivey's blog a friend – I will leave you with a letter that I did email out to friends (here) just a couple of weeks ago. It had been brought to my attention over time that maybe I should address the label 'RETARD' to those around us. I think you all should read it too. And maybe it is a war that I will inevitably lose – but if one person begins to think and speak differently out of RESPECT of Ivey, then I have won a battle. Ivey has won.


Subject: I have a mentally retarded daughter


Yes. It is true. And yes, it is also true that the term 'mentally retarded' is not socially correct any more, but who are we kidding the general population still uses it. In the less pungent world and in schools words like 'special needs' and 'mentally delayed' are more graceful words used to describe my daughter. But let's call a spade a spade, Ivey is mentally retarded.


Mental retardation is defined as someone having significantly impaired cognitive functions and deficits in adaptive behaviors. Simply put, Ivey has difficulty learning and her social skills are lacking notably. She makes unusual noises. She uncontrollably drools a lot. She rocks, shakes her hands, kicks her feet and bounces - to the untrained eye it is probably strange or downright weird - to us- she needs vestibular stimulation, but that is another story. I guess what her facial features don't tell someone, Ivey's actions do. She is mentally retarded. Some people would shorten it to - "retard".


There - I said it again.


I imagine some of you are looking at this computer screen with wide eyes at this point, maybe some of you think I have finally snapped, and some of you are probably a little angry.


Good.


Please remember those emotions the next time you encounter someone who uses the terms "retarded" or "retard". And please rethink it if you use those terms yourself. They are not funny or cute. I can hardly deem them words worth using casually among friends, to friends or about friends.


They are words that are the very epitome of Ivey. The word retarded was created because of people like Ivey. Our family and friends tend to take the words personally because they are in fact very personal words - to us- they describe someone we all love dearly.


Retard is a HATE word.


Our children are listening. My children are listening. Imagine explaining what the word 'retard' means to your 5 and 7 year old with a mentally retarded sister.


I can see this as one of my sons one day -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoqaNG0Ozqc


Much love,
Gwen

11 comments:

Mandy said...

Great post Gwen!

I am a special education teacher in Labrador City, NL, Canada. Last summer I took a course at university called "mental retardation". Did you know that the medical term and the term used in the DSM IV is Mentally Retarded. It made all of us sick! It's so derogatory.

Our prof encouraged us to use the term "cognitively delayed" and use the prefixes mildly, moderately, severely and profoundly. That way we could be Politically Correct but also polite.

It's so hard to change what people think and say when even the Medical Community and the APA are still saying "so and so is Mentally Retarded".

I always love how that word means so many different things... like in French "en retard" means to be late. How that got turned into slow or mentally delayed in English, I'll never know! In Newfoundland and Labrador people often use "that's retarded" as a way of saying that something seems strange/different/weird. But I do think it's time for a change. I hope your family and community continue to support you.

Also, I'm sure you don't have to encounter those situations often but I know of a mother who carries a business card with "My son is Autistic, I cannot explain what that means right now but please call me at xxx-xxxx or check out this web site"

I think it would have stunned that mother to death if you handed her a card that said "my daughter is cognitively delayed, I cannot tell you what that means now, but please check out this web site etc"

Power and no confrontation! Knowledge is power... some people are misinformed and thus ignorant... others know the difference and are still ignorant of the facts.

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh, thank you for this message. My son spends most of his schood day in the special ed class and while that has not been a problem among his peer thus far, I fear it one day will. I know how kids can be-how they are taught. If we as the adults just stop and think about what we are saying in front of or to our kids and standing up for what others are saying, it would be a much better world.

KrisKay said...

That is so unfortunate! It's so hard to change a stereo type... but not impossible. I think that your glare at that woman probably did a lot more than any words could have. Hopefully you changed her. We can all speak kinder words, thanks for your insight.

Evie's Story said...

Gwen
Thank you for your precious encouraging comment on my blog. I am always touched by the people who I am blessed to connect with as we share our lives and struggles. Thank you for sharing your precious Ivey and this road of growth through tears and trust in our Father! You have an amazing story and an amazing daughter that will continue to me an inspiration to many. GOd bless!

Heather said...

Well,you know,this kind of ignorance doesn't shock me anymore.And maybe it should.I try,at every corner,and every turn to advocate and educate but sometimes I wonder ... will it ever make a difference?In the end,if one person,listens and refrains,then it is worth it.I too can see my boys,with that same speech ... is he not the best?Is that speech not the best?

I have yet to have the talk with Jake and Joe,at 9 and 6,I feel like maybe and it's a big maybe,they haven't heard the word yet and I would just be introducing them to it.Isn't it strange that I don't want to broach it when I know it is inevitable?Them hearing that word and the way it is used today,feels like they will lose a part of their innocence ... am I making any sense.

Sending you love as always my friend and thank you,thank you for checking on me ... I am finding my way.

Bridgett said...

This post has encouraged me to talk with my boys, ages 8, 6 1/2 and 5. My middle son has baseball practice at one of our town's elementary schools. While he practices, my other two boys play at the playground. There have been two girls that are sisters at the playground during the last two practices. The younger sister is five (according to one of my boys) and the older sister is a few years older and quite obviously challenged. I watched with heart ache yesterday as the younger sister called the older sister names, made fun of her, treated her like a dog wanting her to fetch, pushed and kicked her and even threw mulch and rocks at her. I called my boys to me to finish watching their brother's practice and talked with them briefly about it, but we really have to have a deeper conversation about it. It's wrong especially since it's happening in this girl's own family. I know I shouldn't speculate, but it makes me wonder how her parents treat her. It also makes me wonder if they allow the younger sister to do this? It's sad. So, anyway, thank you for this post.

Anna Ruth said...

Gwen,

With your permission I would like to forward your blog address (and particular instructions to read this latest entry) to my friends and family.

You are right...so many people use the words "retard' and "retarded" insensitively, ignorantly, and even cruelly. You have increased my sensitivity, and I want to pass it on.

Thanks for crafting your anger and frustration into such a loving and purposeful letter.

Anna

Paula said...

Gwen,
Working with special needs children, I see the way other kids look at them and whisper. We take them out into the community to do the jobs you described (the bagger at the end of your grocery line) so that they can learn those skills and use them after they leave high school. I loathe the use of the R word. I am not sure you know of it, but there is a website you should check out if you haven't. Take the pledge to stop the R word... http://r-word.org/
Calling a spade a spade, these kids may mentally retarded to the untrained eye, but I always feel God has blessed some of us with the secret that they really do posess so much more! Thank you for all you post here! You and Ivey inspire us all!
Paula :)

tekeal said...

thank you for this post, and for sharing about your family's life. i also forwarded this video to my family and friends as a way to ask for support after my daughter was born ( with down syndrome)... may we all remember to see the beauty in all of us.

Kathy said...

Couldn't agree more. Great post.

Tom D. is another great guy at our Kroger. I always try to get in his line or Stanley's.

Funny...my nephew is in special ed and my sister and I have discussed that maybe Thomas could have that job one day, too. Maybe he and Ivey will be colleagues. :)

Connie Barris said...

On a less severe note...I know you know my daughter...but I don't know if you remember, she has a LD... all through school, we struggled with reading, speech and other problems....

I remember her coming home one day just sobbing and then when I was able to get her to talk she said, "Someone told me I was retarded" I will never forget that day, it broke my heart because she looked at me and asked "am I?"

She had to take many special classes for many years but like you we had goals for her life and she persevered.

I know it might be different for Ivey, but my daughter has exceeded her goals and is thriving... better than the ordinary and gifted that sometimes take life for granted--as you said. You never know what Ivey will be capable of. As parents, we don't give up.

Again, thank you for keeping what is important in the forefront of our mind...

Connie

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...