Skip to main content

The Laundry Room

This morning while Ivey and I broke out of her room, a room that doesn't have direct sunlight; we did what all wild overly restricted girls in need of Vitamin D do ---

we did laundry.

Here at the hospital there is a place for families with washers/driers, rooms for family to sleep, showers, etc. This place is prepared for those in it for the long haul. I'll have to admit that sometimes it is a great place to be alone, especially late at night or reallllly early in the morning when you need a good cry. It is also like the water fountain - but stories told in the laundry room aren't rumors or hear say..nope, no gossip.  Instead what you get would wipe out any acclaimed reality TV, because the reality is that it is just that...real reality. 

Today there was a lady there. 

She wore a look that I have seen in the mirror from time to time and in other parents that roam these halls.  The look of stress, overly tired, little sleep and beyond worried - yet, still trying to hold in all together in this new place. 

So as we stood there we made small talk...and around here small talk leads to reasons why we are here.  Today I was there with a generally healthy child.  What she saw in Ivey was probably a little more.  But today we didn't talk about Ivey.

Since we have been here for the past week, it seems that life outside of these walls has continued on - Ivey and I haven't really spent much time watching the news - in our room it is the History channel or Discovery channel.  Yeah, I'm a nerd like that. This week it seems there was a shooting in Atlanta where a young boy was shot sleeping in his home. 

Today I met his mother.

I don't know what the media has said, nor do I care.  The woman I met today is living a real life horror story.  It is her reality.  She - however - is holding her own.  She has no other choice.  Her family needs her.  Her son(s) need her.  And from the few details that she gave me - only one thing remains in my mind.  This story will continue long after the media decides it is no longer news.  There is a little boy on a floor above me who needs all the prayers in the world, as does the rest of his family.  Give them strength. 

And I hope today I did for this mom what I have needed so many times.  We chatted - and hopefully telling some of these things to a complete stranger, who was not biased one way or another,  gave her some peace to brave the remainder of this day.  I also hope that Ivey and I slipped out of there leaving her enough time to do a normal chore - alone - undisturbed - to do and be whatever she needed at that moment.  No phones, doctors, nurses or the unknowns of her son staring back at her.  No media trying to talk to her.  No family waiting at home.  Just her alone with the laundry...something methodical -

When Ivey and I returned for our dried clothes...she was gone....

Please keep her in your prayers +

Comments

Connie Barris said…
This reminds me of the story of the guy that ask God to cut down his cross.... and he whines so much that God finally does it... then all the people carrying crosses get to a large canyon that they must cross... everyone lays their cross over like a bridge and cross... the whiner tries to put his cut-down cross across and it won't fit... his cross is too short.. thus God throughout life had taken him out of his circumstances instead of helping him through them... and when he needed those experiences the most... he was not prepared..

In my own circumstances now, it puts my life in perspective....it is a small journey in comparison to others... but to others, it is horrific.. whatever, it is our journey for the day when we must cross the canyon-of-life...

and praying for each other as you have done so that we support each other in each day as we carry our cross is the only way to make it...

thank you Gwen for sharing this sweet story...

God Bless
Connie
Anonymous said…
we are praying for ivey always, and for that sweet boy as well.
xoxoxoxo elbert and diane
Sheila and Grace said…
What a horrible thing to happen to a young child, and to this family. I searched for the news story, and found this one with some details for those interested. There is a photo of the boy, who is 11, for anyone that wants to put a face to the prayers.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22531872/detail.html

Keeping this family in my prayers. I'm glad you were there to offer her a little comfort in this time of horror for her.

And you and Ivey are still in my prayers too. Glad to hear she is feeling better. Hope the EEG today gives some good results, and hope the both of you are home soon!

Hugs!
georgiamom said…
Let me know if you need company!! I will get in the car and drive girl!! Do you need me to come and let you get some air? let me know and I can make some arrangements!
Tabatha said…
I've been seeing this story on the news. We all hear the stories but never put the pain with the story. Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu