1.12.2010

HIT IT!!!

TURN THE VOLUME UP AND DANCE!!!!!

Do you ever wonder what it's like to hang out with a blind person? Or how 'bout someone who is mentally delayed? I know I do. I mean really, I have found myself in some really uncomfortable situations since Ivey was born. When we are with other blind, hard-of-hearing, mentally delayed or physically deformed people I really don't know what to do with myself or how to act with them. What do you say to some one so different from yourself?

I guess that's how a lot of people feel around Ivey. I see it on their faces, read it in their eyes.

But I can't answer those questions when it pertains to Ivey.

She is the exception to the rule for me.

Tonight was a girl's night, just me, Ivey and Tara (our dog). All girls. The boys were away at wrestling practice. So we snuggled up to watch our rented movie "The Proposal". Nothing says girls night like a chick flick.

It hit me tonight, that even though we were doing typicall 'girl' stuff, nothing about our night said typical. I started thinking. Never have I put on a 'movie' for Ivey to entertain her for thirty minutes or so just to get something accomplished. Movies are irrelevant to her.

Personally I would love for Ivey to tell me her spin on movies. The boys love them. Does she think the characters of the movie are visitors in our house? Does she think the drama is really REAL? If so, we have the best house on the block….!!!!!

Obviously the above pondering is beside the point.

Though I can't tell you what it is like to interact with ALL blind people, or mentally delayed, better yet mentally delayed deafblind people – I can tell you what it is like to hang out with my favorite mentally delayed deafblind girl.

Ivey sat in my lap as we watched 'The Proposal'. I love Sandra Bullock. I tickled Ivey, counted her ribs (many times just to her that giggle of hers).

I sat in awe because I could. I watched her reach for my hand, when there was no reason for her to reach, except that she knew it would be there, waiting for her to hold. She reaches into thin air and kinda gently circles her hand around until she finds my hand. How does she know I'm there? She takes my finger in her tiny hands, and holds it. Finally, she, in her nonverbal way, tells me she wants to play the Indian Game. All the while, the movie rolls on.

I sit and twirl her curls around my fingers. Did you know that I have always wondered exactly how did I end up with such a curly haired girl? And over and over I sign on her face that she is 'mama's beautiful girl'. She smiles. I wonder what those three wonders mean to her.

But I saved the best for last. Ivey learned a new trick tonight. It was officially a girl's night. So for any of you who have watched 'The Proposal', you know there are a couple of good early nineties songs. My era. Well, my girl can now shake it! It is a sight to see. I'm posting the song on the blog. But to see Ivey dance to it, well, you'll have to come over. It is AWESOME!

So here we go….1, 2, 3….get loose now. …..it takes two to make a thing go riggght. It takes two to make it out of sight…..

And Ivey smiles because she knows…..her daddy probable wouldn't approve….

Fortunately, Ivey gets her dance rythm and moves from me......thank the Lord not from Matt....

(PS. I didn't teach her 'From the windows …to the walls………………' Matt's head would have snapped off of his shoulders!)

PPS...When things feal awkward...turn UP the MUSIC!!!!!


7 comments:

Megan said...

Gwen, what a great night! Your opening paragraph REALLY sounds familliar to me - I was just thinking the other night that I am so comfortable with Ava, yet feel like a complete fool around others who are blind. I always feel like they think I'm being fake or something. And yet, I know Ava in such an intimate way - I guess she is just my daughter, blind or not!
How I wish we all lived closer to each other. It would be great to have girls nights like this with all of our very different kids!

Heather said...

This post my friend,is why I love you and Ivey so.Why I wish I could sit and join you and "mama's beautiful girl", in a girls night and she your Ivey shake and move!!




*side note:our oldest guy,who is 8 now,sang "From the windows... to the walls..."When he was like 3 or 4!Much to my horror!That sometimes happens with older siblings ... not one of my proudest parenting moments!

Kristin said...

Now that is my kind of girl!! I sure wish you could put up some video of her, I would LOVE to see her shake it!! What a special little angel... well maybe not quite angelic dancing to those songs, but still! :)

gilda said...

Just found your blog and thought this was so cool! Your little angel sure knows what she likes...bet she is a awesome dancer even if daddy doesn't approve.

Bev said...

Can I just tell you how fun this was to read. I wasn't there but with the story and the music I could envision and it brought a big smile to my face - you go girls!

Sarah said...

Hi! My name is Sarah and I'm a long-time follower of your blog but a first-time commenter. I'm a college student who works with special needs kids. I also follow more than 200 blogs, and I'm sending a very special message to all the blogs I follow: YOU have the chance to be part of a miracle!

Chase Community Giving is awarding $1 million to 5 charities! The Gwendolyn Strong Foundation is working to find a cure for Spinal Muscular Atrophy - and they could use the money!

Fast Facts:
- SMA is the #1 genetic killer of infants under the age of 2
- 50% of those diagnosed will not live to see their 2nd birthday
- kids with SMA lose the ability to sit, stand, walk, talk, eat, swallow, and breathe
- 1 in 40 people is a carrier
- the National Institute of Health says that SMA is the #1 CURABLE disease if given research funding
- right now there is NO cure and NO treatment

Want to change that? Vote for the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation on the Chase Community Giving app on Facebook! You have five votes to tell the world that you want a CURE for SMA!

Tell your friends and blog contacts - let them know they could be part of a MIRACLE - be part of a CURE - and give kids a FUTURE!

Shannon said...

Ivey! That's my favorite hip/hop song from the 80's!....I just love it and it makes you "shake your thang!"
Shake it girl!
Love,
Shannon in Austin

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...