8.07.2009

Carpenters

On the next to the last day at the beach, Ivey finally made it down to the ocean. She loved it and I have some great pictures to post if I can ever get my laptop working. But that isn't what this post is about, not this time. Of course it centers around Ivey, but this is more about the bridges that we build to secure people in Ivey's life.

While I was pushing Ivey in her stroller from the beach to the pool, another family followed behind us. The little girl with the family, who looked to be around three, walked beside Ivey while her mom was behind me. Since Ivey had been sick and not at the pool all week, the family had not met Ivey; they had met both of the boys. The little girl never looked up to see where she was going. She stared intently into the stroller at Ivey.

It is a stare that Ivey gets almost everyday of her life from toddlers. It is not a rude stare, more a curious stare. A stare that really says, "I know she is like me, but something is different that I don't understand." And being that this look only comes from toddlers, they mean no harm, but do not have the vocabulary to ask - anything.

I am completely okay with that look. The sting of the look never goes away. Not because of my own selfishness, but because there is literally an unspoken barrier that limits other kids from approaching Ivey like they would anyone else. It stings because her life experiences have that extra step that must be overcome for her to make friends.

And so that day I thought about my skills as a bridge builder. Like many parents, 99% of most days I openly give information, or at least try to, not her whole story, just enough to form a stable bridge to Ivey.

That particular day, the mom had yet to 'see' Ivey from the front, remember she was walking behind me. All she could see was Ivey's legs kicking in the stroller. She could hear Ivey babbling away. She could see her little girl staring complexly into the stroller. So she said to her daughter, "She is looking at you, Reagan. Tell her hello. She is talking to you."

And that left me to do what I know is best for Ivey in those situations, not what is 'comfortable' to any one else - not even me. This is just one of the many areas that Ivey pushes all of us beyond our comfort zone. It is what is BEST for her.

I turned over my shoulder and said to the other mom, "Ivey is blind, she does not know Reagan is there. And, with the wind blowing like it is, she can not hear her either. Reagan can see something is different about Ivey and she is trying to figure that out." That was information enough for the mom to look perplexed and embarrassed. So I did what I most often do. Stopped dead in our tracks, bent down on Reagan's level - Ivey's level - and took Reagan's hand and said, "Reagan, this is Ivey. Ivey, this is Reagan." Then I placed Reagan's hand on Ivey's shoulder. We waited there for a moment.

Then we moved on to the pool. As uncomfortable as it sometimes is, properly introducing Ivey is my role in Ivey's life. As we walked on the mom told me Ivey is beautiful. And she is.

Yesterday the boys, Ivey and I went to the Gap to pick out a new outfit for Ivey's first day of school next week. And as always, my boys made me glow with pride. There in the middle of the girl's section a little girl walked over to Ivey's stroller and stared that same stare with curiosity. This time I had had my back to them. It was Knox's voice that I heard first. He asked the little girl how old she was. "Three." Then he introduced himself and his brother filled in with age brackets. Finally he said, "This is my little sister Ivey. She is three too." By that time I had turned around to listen and watch. I looked at the other mom, who looked down at Ivey, who then had the look of 'what should I do'. Her little girl was only inches from Ivey's face staring.

The mom told her daughter to move away. Not being rude, but most of the time parents just don't know what is the right thing to do - how I, the other parent, will respond. She is a mom too, she would not want someone staring at her daughter that way. But, it is okay...
(We, parent's with kids with special needs, especially with facial deformities have pretty thick skin most of the time. You, as our friends should grow that thick skin too.)

I whispered, "It is okay." and waved my hand to back her away from the kids. By then Knox was in mid-sentence. "My sister is blind. She can't see you, but you can talk to her." The mom hesitantly smiled, literally sighed and relaxed her shoulder and said "Tell Ivey your name." Bridge was built. Ivey met a new person and her family. My sons are excellent carpenters. What great responsibility for such little people, but they love their sister.

My point. The standard personal space that we all desire does not exist with Ivey. She needs to know who you are. Touch her on the back of her shoulder and introduce yourself to her....every single time you are with her. Just like you do not mind being patted on the shoulder, neither does Ivey. Always say your name. And if you are with Ivey go ahead and take the reigns and introduce Ivey to the people around her. It might make you fill uncomfortable in the beginning, but it is only us feeling subconscious about ourselves, we are being driven to do something that the rest of the world normally does in a different way... But that is absolutely no reason not to do this. If we do not take these simple steps, Ivey will live alone in her world. It is our responsibility to her. She needs us to do this with her. -- Not for her, but with her, because she IS an active participant in the conversation. -- Depending on the person and the situation, some may want you to teach them a sign or ask more questions. You all love Ivey so do not hesitate, say what you do know. It will only allow that bridge to form to let others into her life - to help her make friends.

Be a carpenter.

12 comments:

Kristin Kneupper said...

Beautifully written. Ivey is so blessed to have such a great family. What a gift she is to share with all you meet. And such lessons she has to teach.

sweetpea0944 said...

I am the parent of a special needs child and totally understand the stares and awkward situations. I was touched by the way you expressed your feelings. My son recently started to a new school and we have realized it is time for him to begin to educate others about his disability. Your post gives me encouragement that he will become a capable carpenter with the ability to build his own bridges.

Cassie said...

I know those stares as well, my 4 year old son Caleb uses a wheelchair. You write beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Gwen your post is so beautiful. You are amazing with your words. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. You words help us all to grow into better people. "Be a carpenter" what a great motto to live by. Thanks, Tara

Anonymous said...

Gwen - I love the way you write. You have such an amazing way of sharing your life experiences, and great stories about your precious kids. This post was especially beautiful and meaningful to me. I have been doing much of the same thing with my Ella lately, so I can really relate on some level. For me it is a little different as her sighted 10 month old brother is too young to help introduce her to anyone yet!! I can only hope he is as sweet to Ella as Knox and Walker are with Ivey. Thanks for this today. Love, Jill

Girl Raised in the South said...

Gwen, as usual I come away blessed from my time here. While I will likely never have the privilege of meeting Ivey face to face, I will come across others who are in her situation, and will be better equipped to be a good carpenter for having read this. Thank you!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Ivey is such a lucky girl to be born into such an amazing and accepting family. You are doing a GREAT job!

Jennifer said...

Love this, Gwen. So true and very well said.

Anonymous said...

Gwen,

Thank you. I continue to struggle with knowing what to say/how to respond in these situations. Your bravery is an inspiration.

Give Ivey a kiss for us!

Dan (Eli's dad)

Carrie said...

This post says it all so beautifully!! I can not even tell you how many times we have been in this same situation and there are days when even though I just don't feel like it, I too try to bridge that gap. We want our children to have friends and people that can see beyond their disabilities. You said this perfectly Gwen!!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Hi Gwen,

I have not visited in so very long - haven't been on even my blog at all in almost 5 months - but I want to tell you how much I appreciate this. SO OFTEN, I have wished special needs parents WOULD explain how you perceive gestures from the general public, because I HAVE wanted to greet special needs persons in the same way I would anybody else and then had that hesitation, especially wondering about compromising their health in some way by getting too close. It's wonderful of you to take this as a ministry of sorts - bridging the gaps by explaining what we can't know. Thank you. And by the way, Ivey just continues to grow more and more beautiful. I'm amazed how much older the kids all look since I last checked in. :)

Bailey's Leaf said...

Such an important lesson for all of us. I hope that you don't mind that I have a post coming up on 9/1 that I've linked this particular post to.

I've spent so much time with my daughter trying to teach her that others, though they may be different, need love, understanding and treated just like everyone else. She'll ask why someone is in a wheel chair or whatnot and I try to answer to the best of my ability. Thank you for giving me more ways of teaching K- lessons on getting to know EVERYONE.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...