6.04.2009

Change.

Hello summer!

Finally, summer is here! This week has been great – routine of having no routine. It is especially great after the hustle and bustle of the past few weeks. So much has been happening 'round here..

It's funny how when change happens – it happens it one swoop. And change can be so hard, but based on the past, doesn't necessarily mean bad, just new. Ivey has really made me cling to things over the past three years. Maybe if I cling hard enough things will stay right where they are, but we all now that will never happen. But everyone needs to say congratulations to Christa. She now has a new job which means her time with us is much shorter. All of this happened last week and I already miss her. I think I might be worse than a mom when it comes to letting her spread her wings and move on. She has been with us for so long, she is like an adopted daughter. She is the person that I have been able to depend on over the past three years with Ivey, and she has been with us even longer than that. Knox and Walker do not remember life without Christa in it. She can do it all. She can never be replaced. Ivey loves her and the boys love her…we all do.

Then this past Sunday Camille came in for her shift and let me know that it would be her last weekend. She has been my constant over the past 2 ½ years with Ivey. She came when Ivey was first trached. When she is here I sleep. My chest feels heavy just at the thought of not seeing Camille next weekend. But, her family needs her now and that is where she must go. The thing about nurses in our home every night, even though we are supposed to interact on a professional basis, they become friends. How does it not get personal when someone is in your home weekly? I don't even see my best friends as much as I see the nurses. I entrust them to one of my most precious and sacred treasures. We talk morning and night. They see the good times and experience the bad times with us. And the nurses like Camille are here for a reason, they love what they do… they love their patients. Saying good bye to Camille Monday morning was crushing.

Ivey will miss Ms. Camille.

As for Christa, we will miss seeing her as often, but unfortunately for her, she is stuck with us. She's too much family to get too far away. I hope that other families are as fortunate as us to have such special people in their homes.

No comments:

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...