4.22.2009

Dandelion Wishes

I have officially had a case of writer's block. It's crazy. I sit down to update Ivey and can't think of a thing to write about. This has been going on for a couple of months now. Really, I never thought I would run out things to jabber about. Maybe it is not from the lack of things going on, but sifting through the surplus of craziness. I have even wanted to post some pictures, but that means downloading them- ugg. So, its mid-morning and Ivey's Wednesday OT session was switched, so I have a few moments. Of course I could fold the laundry that is piled up, even iron it, but who wants to do that? And at the beginning of the week we had two rooms painted, one being Ivey's room, because we are switching her to a different bedroom. Now if I were really motivated, I would start moving her furniture, clothes, medical supplies and toys....or sweep up the dust from places the painters had to sand. Instead, I am sitting here doodling through emails and now this. If you are wondering where Ivey is, she is sitting here next to me playing with her musical flowers and eating.

Last Thursday at the boys tennis lesson one of their friends was intrigued that Ivey did not have eyes, remember, she has not been wearing them in quite a while, months actually. Four year olds are the cutest things; she asked all kind of questions and just loooved on Ivey. Then she picked a dandelion to make a wish…and she wished for 'the baby' to have eyes. Those seeds just few in the wind from that Dandelion Wish.

Friday morning I had the itch to look at Ivey with her beautiful green eyes. And guess what?? She left them in. Of course, she has tried a few times to take them out, but only a few times. Now it is Wednesday and I am sitting here looking at a green eyed girl. Guess that sweet Dandelion wish came true.

If this doesn't work long term, I have a new plan. I think we'll have an "Ivey's Eyes Weekend Marathon". We'll have to come up with a cuter name for it though. Literally, have anyone we know signup for a time, whether it's five minutes or an hour, and simply sit and play with her or hold her while she sleeps. I really think that she would leave them alone if we could just 'desensitize' her from them. Maybe if we could entertain and distract her for an entire weekend (Friday – Sunday) she would leave them alone. What do you think? Anybody up for playing with Ivey??

So I'll let you know in the next few days how it goes. In the meantime, we may have pictures of a green eyed girl on her third birthday….

Remember, Saturday is the big day. Ivey will be three….3….. Ha

Well, more on that later, the feeding pump just went off and Ivey and I have a list of things to do today.

 

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I hope the Dandelion wish comes true and stays for you. If not, the Green Eyed Beauty Marathon may work...same concept kind of as Potty Training Bootcamp.
I love reading your updates on your precious Ivey! Just reading about her makes me smile.
I relay your stories to my close friend whose son has many special needs and also has a prosthetic eye. I think we can "one up" you on the eye (thinking elevator story here)...he's flushed 2 eyes down the toilet in less than 5 months! YIKES!
Keep smiling Mom! You are doing a fantastic job! Can't wait to read about her 3rd birthday! Happy Happy Birthday Ivey!

georgiamom said...

I typically don't sign up for things with the word marathon in them, but for Ivey I will!! Let's do it.

Shannon said...

I noticed she has her eyes in. YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE! And would you take a gander at how her beautiful eyelashes curl up on her brow? Those are some beauties!

We just had our third birthday this past Saturday.

HAPPY 3RD BIRTHDAY IVEY!!!!

We love you!
The Bests in Austin

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...