4.07.2009

California and Kisses

Between a six year olds birthday party, homework, sinus infections and trips away from home, there has been little computer time. So I wanted to take second a let you in on a couple of small things learned over the past couple of weeks.

One, Ivey has decided she LOVES to give kisses. And don't think you'll get a normal kiss. Ooohhh nooo. It's a nice slobbery kiss with a giggle from her. That's okay. They are some of the best kisses ever (even if we all come away with a little drool).

Two, Matt and I took a trip. And not just a one night trip, but a real five day away trip. It was the first in a long time. Honestly, one that we weren't sure if we would ever be able to take (alone) again. Well, we did and it was wonderful. So, for all of you with kids and especially those of you with special needs children that think you can never leave, you must go. Whether you think they can or not, there are others who are willing to watch the little ones and do just as well, even though it is hard to imagine, as we parents do. And guess what? Our kids survived. The world kept right on spinning. And we had a great time. And so did our kids.

Remember, couples with special needs children on average have a higher percentage rate of divorce. That special time is very important. So thanks mom and dad for taking time to stay here so that we could go. And thanks to our friends who made for a very special and FUN Trip!!

Also, can you believe that Ivey will be three in a couple of weeks? My how times have changed.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Gwen, so glad to hear that you two got away. This is something that Bobby and I rarely do, but know the importance of. Now that Ava is older, I feel much more comfortable leaving her with my parents for overnighters. Good advice!
And no, I cannot believe that Ivey is going to be three years old. I still remember looking at her first birthday pictures and reading about her wonderful celebration.
xoxo

Shannon said...

WHAT? Ivey will be 3? Man, my kids turn 3 on tax day. Stop growing kids! I am so glad to find a post tonight. and I am SO GLAD you took a vacation. You needed it. What a wonderful time together. (I don't know what that's like ....lol) Love the kisses story.
Have a wonderful blessed Easter!
Love,
Shannon and Family

Heather said...

So happy you were able to escape.What a gift.Last time we were away .... 9 years ago.Where in California were you?If it was near me I probably would have had to have stalked you ...maybe that's why you didn't tell me now that I think of it!!Love to you all.

Heather said...

P.S.Wish I could experience one of Ivey's special kisses ...

Jennifer said...

SO GLAD ya'll got away!! It is so good for the whole family.

Heather BT said...

Gwen, You used to have a How to relate to me section here, about how people should act around/treat Ivey. I can't seem to find it. Could you send me a copy, I'd like to adjust it & credit you to post in our church bulletin. They've been okay with Acer, but I think with Calliandra, they might be more comfortable knowing more guidelines.
Heather BT at mac .com

Girl Raised in the South said...

This brought tears just for the happiness of it all - slobbery kisses, she's almost three and you two got away for a little vacation. Loved reading every single bit of it, and no I cant believe she (and Addie) are almost 3 - where does the time go?

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...