4.23.2009

A Birthday Request From The Birthday Girl

For Ivey's birthday she would really love it if everyone started to learn a little sign language so that she can get to know you. She loves the interaction and is picking up new sign rather quickly. We practice what is called hand-under-hand with her. That means we place our hands under Ivey's to sign to her or to guide her hands. Her hands are ALWAYS on top. Remember when approaching her gently touch her on her on the top of her forearm first. Her hands are her eyes, so we much treat them with respect. The more we offer her our hands, the more she will learn - we will enrich her life and introduce her to the world that she does not see and the sounds that she can not hear very well. To help facilitate this goal I will begin a list of words that Ivey's knows and is in the process of learning up on the sidebar.

TODAY AT PRESCHOOL...A BIRTHDAY PARTY, ARTS AND CRAFTS, AND THE PET STORE
Petting the rodents outside.




Giving Mrs. Ashley a run for her money with that eye.


Playing peek-a-boo with the kitty.


Aunt Beth and Ivey. This is a Walker look. You can read every thought in her mind on that face. Obviously the non-so-pleasant urine smell of the animals was not her thing.


Cupcakes at preschool.
Can you see that grin?

She can make a pretty picture, but what makes me smile is her two best-est friends right there by her side.

And this is the middle child climbing the tree right in the middle of town.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

How can it already be her birthday?? Wow!!
My kids know tons of signs, so I need you to give me a quick lesson on how to ammend them to hand over hand. They will LOVE to use them with Ivey!!

Heather said...

I have loved catching up.Life continues to give us a run for our money or is that Zoey continues to give us a run for our money?Hard to say.However,what is absolutely easy to say is how very beautiful the soon to be birthday girl is.Her eyelashes are to die for.I mean seriously,she is gorgeous.And the curly blonde hair ... just so darling.Just like Miss Ivey.How I would love to participate in the Ivey's Eye's Marathon Weekend.Only problem ... I am about 2500 miles too far away.What I would like to do is send the little love a birthday present from her little friend Zoey.So could you please email me your address?Pretty please?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Ivey! My girls and I love reading and watching Ivey's videos. I work with prek special needs students, and we use sign with several of them. I am so excited to hear that Ivey is using some signs to communicate. We hope Ivey has a great birthday! Tara Blankenship

Anonymous said...

The birthday girl is a little doll with her pretty green eyes! I visit your blog every now and then to check up on Ivey. I don't know you guys, but I have fallen in love with Ivey too! My baby son has microphthalmia, so we too have issues with eyes. It's always good to read about Ivey's progress.
Jennifer in Ft. Myers, FL

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...