2.20.2009

Blind Entertainment



I thought I would share one of our tricks for keeping Ivey entertained while in the car. It is pretty simple and one of those 'Why didn't I think of that?' ideas – if you have not thought of it. Life with Ivey has definitely taught us to think outside of the box. Notice the bar with toys hanging from it. It is a bar for hanging clothes in the car and can be found at Wal-Mart and it is inexpensive considering the price of 'modified' stuff for special needs children. Toys attach easily, can be exchanged easily and they are always at her finger tips and never lost. This is a simple solution to entertainment in the car, especially for a blind child.


This came in handy yesterday when I locked her in my car along with my keys and cell phone in the State Patrol parking lot in a vain effort to renew my driver's licenses.


Sincerely,


Mother of the Year

6 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

Awesome idea! I'm definitely going to try that with Reagan. She's so difficult in the car...that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

What a great idea! I love that although she has all of those fun toys in front of her she is still enjoying chewing on her shoelaces!

Heather said...

Okay,you never disappoint,even with a short post I leave with a chuckle!Only you .. and Ivey!As for the idea.I am so stealing that.Anything to stimulate her.Especially in the car.Not of course that we are there much lately but...one day.Since Zoey does not purposefully use her left arm and especially hand because of her stroke I really want all of our venues to have some opportunity for interaction.Thanks Gwen.

Mommy Whitaker said...

I absolutely LOVE laughing WITH you, not AT you! You help me to keep my sense of humor during frustrating times with my own children... You remind me that as a mother, laughter and comedy can be the best medicine EVER! Don't ever stop blogging!

Shannon said...

What a great idea! I wished I would have thought of that too! stuff always fell to the ground and you can't very well get that when driving down the road.

Do I see Ivey's eyes in this pic? If so, how'd it go for her. And for you? ;)

-Shannon in Austin

Unknown said...

Yes A lovely Idea!
Thanks for sharing with us.
special needs children toys

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...