1.08.2009

Reaching

As most of our family and friends are coming to learn, and especially Matt and I, Ivey does not do most things in a traditional manner. She is quirky. Her own little self. And, the things that we 'sighted' people tend to lean on and more so DEPEND on, just do not exist when we are with Ivey. It is natural for Matt and I now, and I most often forget that my interactions with Ivey are not 'typical' until I hold another baby or talk with another toddler. Primarily, they make eye contact and respond to facial expressions. Ivey does neither. What she does do is make you use other senses and qualities beyond 'sight'.

Point being, Ivey has never 'reached' out for me. I have never really ever given it much thought, except when I see other babies reach for their mommas. So we have worked on her signing. Every so often she will reach that sweet hand up to her mouth and sign 'momma'. And now she has developed the habit of reaching to find my hands and then sign 'momma'. She babbles 'mom-ma' all the time and it is distinct and very loud when she wants me specifically. Even Matt has conceded to that one. She has also learned how to reach 'up' when she wants to go up. So sometimes you may look down at her sitting in the floor with her arms raised up just patiently waiting for someone to notice, and grab her up. It is the sweetest gesture.

But even out of those three things, Ivey has never 'reached' out to me.

I do not talk about it much here. But my dad and Ivey have this bond. For any one who knows my dad, it is undoubtedly a very special bond. And my dad is a very private person, so I try to respect that and keep his relationship with Ivey, just that, their own special relationship just between them. But today I have to record one of the most special milestones that Ivey has reached to date.

My dad came by for a few minutes today - I was holding Ivey and carried her to the door way to see him. Normally, I tell Ivey who is here, who is coming, etc. But with my dad, to watch her smile he whispers in her ear is priceless. Ivey glows at the sound of his voice.

So I carried her over to him and he leaned over and whispered to her, and she smiled that big smile....and then for the first time ever she threw her arms up 'reaching for him'.

She has never signed 'up' at the sound of my voice to take her back, or Matt, when someone else was holding her.


Amazing.

That baby girl loves her Gran-Gran. And to witness how much he loves her is life altering.

7 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

That is SO sweet!!! And what an exciting milestone for little Ivey. In the same way, Reagan lights up when she hears her Grandma's voice. I just love watching her reaction. No reaching yet, but that would be awesome!!

Shannon said...

That was a really sweet post. I know it melted your heart and I know it melted your dad's heart!
-Shannon in Austin

Heather said...

Beautiful,simply beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Gwen - what a beautiful, special story. I am so glad you decided to share this one. I will never forget the first time Ella ever "reached out" to anyone. It definitely is a milestone for our sweet children and I am so happpy that Ivey has such an intense bond with your dad. How awesome!
Lots of love, Jill

Anonymous said...

You can't help but tear up (tears of joy of course) when reading that sweet post. What a special time for you, Ivey and your dad. So precious!!!
...Marianna Taylor

Jennifer said...

Precious!

Girl Raised in the South said...

This brought tears to my eyes, as I'm sure it did when you saw it. Ivey doesnt need 'sight' to see that someone loves her so dearly. Bless all of you. Your sharing here blesses me in so many ways.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...