11.27.2008

Thankful For Ordinary Miracles


I have been on a little siesta from the computer. The excitement of the holidays has started swirling 'round even though I can not believe that it has been another year. This Thanksgiving, like all others, we have so much to be thankful for. Our family is so very blessed.

As of lately the boys and I have also been discussing the word special, particularly Knox and I. Trying to explain the difference in the contexts of the word special when applied to Ivey having special needs and that each child is equally special to me, but that 'yes' sometimes we do say that Ivey has special needs that the boys do not have, but that she is not really more or less special than they….is a hard topic to explain….. But considering Knox and I had a similar conversation about the words pen and pin, and why the spelling made them represent two different objects even though they sound very much alike, well, you get the picture.

This week Ivey had her first Thanksgiving party at preschool. A very special event for Matt and me. In the days leading up to her Thanksgiving party, I got a phone call from Father Peter. You may recall that we met Father Peter the night before Ivey was trached. A God moment. Since then Father Peter has played a unique role in Ivey's life.

Not long after Ivey was born, I actually found a father in Argentina that had a son who was only weeks older than Ivey with the same genetic mutation. Like I have said in the past, her genetic abnormality is extremely rare. He is the only other child that we personally know of like Ivey. The dad and I kept in distant contact for several months. He was in a remote area of Argentina, so access to a computer was hard.

After meeting Father Peter, he became taken in by Ivey. Then by random happenstance he traveled to Argentina and actually found and met the family. It still amazes me that one person connected these two special babies.

During the summer of 2007, my communication with Pablito's father stopped. I have heard nothing from him since then.

When Father Peter called earlier in the week, we spoke of several things. Then he asked if I had spoken with the family in Argentina lately. "No. Not in over a year." In the past year I have often wondered about Pablito and how he was. I also wondered if communication with his father had stopped because of the unthinkable. Honestly, there was some comfort not knowing. Father Peter said, "Gwen, the baby died." The unthinkable, but I already knew.

I was driving. My grip tightened on the steering wheel; my chest tightened. I hurt for the family and I feared for Ivey. Such mixed emotions. What did it mean, if anything at all?

When Matt came home later that night I told him the news. So how is it that we were so sad; yet, found comfort knowing that we live in a place with exceptional health care, something they did not have in Argentina? Our baby girl survived so many days that we just did not know what the ending would be. It reminds us that no matter how similar two children are genetically predestined to be, they can be so different.

Standing in Ivey's preschool classroom, I thought of Pablito and his fate. I remembered Ivey's first Thanksgiving as we celebrated it at Scottish Rite. I thought of last year. I stood there and watched Ivey sit at a table surrounded by her friends.

We are thankful for our family and our friends. And this year we are thankful for Ms. Rhonda and Ms. Ashley. We are thankful for the families who are raising children with such loving hearts. If only everyone could see through the eyes of these children. Just like Knox and Walker, they see her as Ordinary, just another ordinary miracle, no more special, but some how they know that there is something special about Ivey.

So what do they do without being taught or told?

They love her.


5 comments:

Kouper Shane said...

Wow. That totally brought tears to my eyes. I find inspiration in you and your family. I pray that God continues to bless Ivey and also continues to give you strength and guidance in her care. You are amazing. Happy Thanksgiving.

Tink said...

Happy Thanksgiving! The video is so sweet! Thank you for sharing it! Ivey has come so very far in the few short months that make up a year...Its almost time for me to start a new tradition in my family for Emmy, I get to see MY Elf on the shelf for the first time this year!! Since you showed yours last Xmas time, You inspired me to buy the set and start the tradition with Emmy!!
For ALL the insperation you have given me over and over again, I Thank you..
For sharing Ivey and your family, I thank you..
For your pure strength and determenation in making it through the toughest times a mother can face.. I ADMIRE YOU!!
Today is a wonderful day to give thanks...
Brightest Blessings..

Heather said...

And we are so very thankful for having found you,in your little corner of this vast world. We are forever changed because of one extraordinary little girl who amazes us each and every time we find our way to you.So thank you and and thank you especially to Miss Ivey.

Shannon said...

i too am thankful for Ivey! And I'm also thankful for my family. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Gwen, When ya get a second, please shoot me your address. I'd love to send Ivey some bows if ya let me.
-Shannon in Austin
Better yet, email me at ssakmary@hotmail.com

Heather BT said...

I opened up the post today and looked at the table, saw all the kids and rejoiced to find Ivy in there with the rest of her class. What great words, her class. She's come so far since I started on the yahoo group and started reading your blog.
Have a great Holiday!
Heather BT & Acer

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...