10.16.2008

Meet Me at the Swings

I am working on a mental project right now. Actually the project is formally in the works, but mentally I have to figure exactly how to present various pieces of information about our family and Ivey. It is easy to put information up on the blog, to sift through the day-to-day routine and pick out the pieces. Even the most descriptive of my presentations here falls short of the actual live events, and even those tend to be biased. I try. And I also build walls.

So, I have been thinking about a conversation I had earlier this week with another special needs mama. You would think that I talk to lots of other moms with special needs children, but I do not. It is rare. Even the internet moms I talk with outline their day-to-day humdrum. No, these deep conversations do not happen often.

We spoke about our children, each with their own unique talents. Easy conversation. And then the conversation turned to personal inquiry. Note that this mom and I had never met and I was willing to reveal the dark corners of my mind with out hesitation. The uniqueness of our life dusted off to expose what I normally try to protect and hide from those closest to us.

This conversation made me rethink my own involvement and responsibilities for our life, my attitude as a special need mama. What could I do to open my heart up to those closest to us trying to get in and have a real conversation about Ivey, our family? For many months I have functioned as a mom who screams at the top of her lungs, 'Look How Wonderful the Cover of The Book Is, But Don't You Dare Read What Is Inside' or the 'Today Is Merely a Hard Day, And I Can Do It On My Own' portrayals.

For whatever reason I thought of an article I read a while back. The Mother at the Swings. So I went to visit the site, which I have not done in several months. There I found the last entry. Her son died this summer. He was only a child. More thinking.

I reread The Mother at The Swings. In the article she mentions the tiers that people get categorized into at the onset of a special need birth… For the most part I can not relate to those tiers. Our family is 'lucky' or so we have been told. Literally, hospital staff, home nurses and members of various organizations have praised us. They see in us what most families do not have.

To borrow terms from The Mother at the Swings, they see rocks. New, old, they are all here. And in an unusually large amount at that. As for gingerbread men, they do not really run. That only happens in children's stories. My conversation this week made reference to gingerbread men. I spoke of how hard it was to open up to my friends about trivial moments, letting them know how tough some days are. She reflected that most of her pre-special need friends had left her life. I began to wonder. Am I pushing them to leave, not the other way around? Am I encouraging them to possibly leave? Maybe I am pushing them away with fear and pride. Is it my own fear, my own hurt of watching their children grow and my assumption that they don't understand, can't understand. Maybe in our haste to pull ourselves back together after the birth of our special child, we push those away that see our pain, despite the wall. I am guilty of just that.

In my world, the rocks push back, they have not left. Even in the midst of my refusal, they have stuck. No gingerbread men here only a wall that I have successfully built.

For months on end now, I have grappled with making rocks into gingerbread. Maintain balance. I always fall short. Not a week has gone by, that I have returned phone calls as quickly as I should, or sent that email in a timely matter, or could mustered the energy to make lunch plans. Maybe that is me pushing. In those calls I would have be honest, say today is hard, or know that in person I would break down and cry – oh, I am too strong for that, so I hide. In essence I am pushing away. Making the gingerbread to gobble them up, make them go away, keep confidence in isolation.

My project is my way of preventing so much of this. I hope that I don't stand in the way.

That brings the other component of The Mother at The Swings into play ~ being the mother, and dealing with the other mother. Very Complex. Do my rocks really want to know why playgroup is challenging for me as a mother? Maybe I push because I want to protect them from 'that'. Hidden thoughts and emotions are there with me at the swings no matter how much I love being Ivey's mother, and love learning this crazy new life of ours. Do they want to learn how to ask those questions or be the ones to take those questions if I am not around? How much should I expect them to handle, how deep do they really want to be involved? Being part of our lives will change their lives. Of course, I have not really given them a chance.

All this has really made me think about our new 'project'. How do I let people in, without keeping them at bay? How do I think about the future and all it takes to get us there, all of the wonderful possibilities that lie before us, and not think about a the flip side, a time frame that we could be working in? In her article Special Need Mama's last entry reminded me of that. The reminder that my reality with my daughter and the length of her life lingers. Oh, she is as healthy as a horse today. But deep in the corners of my mind that possibility is there. A thought I never want to think about, but remember in those wee hours of the night.

I want Ivey to be invested in this world, but afraid that if I give all of Ivey away that people will run away. So, I reel out just enough to keep every one interested, but not afraid, enough to let them look at Ivey from outside the glass, yet not get too close. There must be a balance. As with everything else, I am sure it will take time, I just hope not too long.

6 comments:

Heather BT said...

Wow, that, from special needs mama, and yours are powerful entries.

It does take strength to let people help, to let people in, to admit that you might need specific help or just to ask for it.

I know when we went camping with the WCC group it was a relief to be with people who could understand and ask the questions that really meant something, the deeper ones because we had a basic knowledge to start from. It was a relief to be there and know the other parents could watch Acer and not be freaked out by little things like a small hand patting an inappropriate place as he moved past.
Heather BT
PS, your blogroll seems to have disappeared, did it hide away with mine? I had to re-create the whole thing this week.

Heather said...

I have so much running through my head after reading this post."The Mother at the Swings"is well,really special to me.I often refer to it when I am trying to explain to people about what has become of our lives,my life.Not "what has become" in a bad way,just how different we are.Mostly me.I too am a wall builder.Master builder in fact.I have become a self imposed hermit of sorts.My circle of friends have changed,well really I have very few friends.There is no circle.There are gingerbread men who I have been totally and utterly shocked that that is what they have become,nonexistent and I too wonder,is it me,am I to blame?Is my chip on my shoulder that big?I often think so.At this point I have no idea how to rectify it and often also wonder,do I want to?I could have written this post.This is me.Vicki lives a hop skip and a jump from me.I read her blog daily.I admire her strength and often wonder why I am drawn to her.I have been dumbfounded when I have checked my email,only to find a reply to a comment I have left her.How does she do it,"it" meaning function,is beyond me.She too,like many of us is admired for her strength through such adversity but also like many of us we would choose to not be, if it meant removing the suffering our children have had to endure, to become these inspirations that we quite frankly,didn't set out to be in the first place.I leave the link to her story on my side bar in hopes that someone reads it,a mother perhaps,who sees herself in either of the woman.I have bridges to build,that's for sure but I am much better at wall building.Comes much easier.Well,now that I have written a novel,sorry.But thank you Gwen,your post was a reminder to me of acknowledging my part in the deterioration of some my relationships in my life.I just am at a lose on how to find my way back.

georgiamom said...

Powerful post. For the sake of transparency....
--Hoping that you view me as a rock.
--Hoping you would tell me if you don't.
--Hoping you know that if I'm falling short it is because I am totally incompetent at handling my own life.
--Hoping that you know I would never want to be a gingerbread man---I don't even like to eat gingerbread. But I would if they ran from you.
--Hoping you know that you can be real with me, any time, any place--even if you feel like I totally couldn't handle it.
--Hoping you know that I love, love, love you and every single person in your family.

M

Heather BT said...

I tagged you on my blog, just for fun.
Heather BT

Barclay 5 said...

Hi Gwen,

I have found your blog through a friend with triplets who reads Lots of Scotts. I too have a special needs child, Eamon. We also share the same blog title and I often refer to our "new normal".

I found your thoughts provoking. I find I try to protect rocks in my life, but really, I guess, I am protecting myself. Eamon does not have a diagnosis, although we have searched, and I often find I don't fit in with special needs families either.

I too have unspoken fears that press in, but I am hesitant to share - again, protecting someone. Sometimes, I think I am trying to protect God. Ridiculous, I know.

Thank God, Eamon is my third child. The older ones have always, even during our difficult pregnancy, caused our life to have to be normal and continue on.

Ivey is beautiful, exuding a joyful spirit, and you, Gwen, seem to be a sweet and loving Mama!

Thanks for sharing, as much as possible. It seems real and honest, and I am better for your encouragement.

Tracy Barclay

Shelby said...

I ran across Ivey's prayer link on Faith lifts and felt drawn to take a gander. I have begun reading and it is late in the night now. I just want to say what a beautiful daughter you have and what a beautiful momma you are. I only WISH that I could meet you at the swings and get to know you and be a rock for you. I think that through the challenges your family has faced that God is really blessing you all and I pray that you have MANY rocks in your life to be there for you and your beautiful daughter! I am praying for her!

((HUGS!!))

Shelby

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...