10.24.2008

Ivey had a rough day yesterday. Seizures. They started yesterday morning and continued until late into the night. They ended in the ER - after an IV of anti-seizure medications.

She has one banged up right arm from attempts to get blood. When can we transplant my veins into my daughter's body?

Last night I was reminded of how blessed we are to have an extra member in our family that we don't talk about often here on the blog. However, any one around us knows. Christa is one amazing person. She is not just a sitter, but part of our family in an adopted sort of way.

She is my right arm at times. A lot of times actually. Over the years she taken on responsibilities that go beyond what should be expected of her... Obviously she is not your typical college girl. She can man-handle a trach. Run pumps and machines. Work a mickey button. Put in hearing aids and prosthetics eyes. Handle seizures. Once upon a time she even put down ng-tubes. All the while wrestling two little boys. Alone.

No fear. No hesitation. She has always jumped right in....

There is a trust there.........

Now she is nearing the end of her college life and soon will be a nurse in the real world. She already has years on the rest of her class. More experience than imaginable. You want her in your room if ever you are in the hospital.

Did I ever tell you that Christa is the one who taught Ivey to play peek-a-boo? I came home one day and she said "Watch what Ivey can do." She believes in Ivey.

The boys love her. Ivey loves her. We love her. Our friends love her. She is one incredible person.

Christa is one of those little blessings that God gave us. Blessing in disguise.

And she always has another place to call Home - no matter where she is.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Appropriately enough,"Stand" began playing when I logged on...Sorry Miss Ivey had such a tough day yesterday.Hoping today has been better.Seems hardly fair she has to endure days like this.I am all to certain that if Christa chimed in here, she too would tell of the many blessings you all have brought to her life.Changed it forever ...for the good.It is with the exchange of these blessings that allow us to see purpose and plan with clarity and a bit of understanding,even and most especially on days like yesterday.

Lynn and Keith said...

thank you for loving christa and placing so much trust in her. she absolutely loves being with your family. and I can see why. you have blessed her more then you will know. and that blesses me!

Connie Barris said...

well, well, My little niece is doing well... of course, she is taking after her auntie Connie in being the great nurse.. haha..

it runs in the family... Her greatgrandma.. grandma.. aunt... all were nurses.. .but... I think Christa is a stand alone peds nurse and that takes someone very special...

I never thought I could do it until recently...

Christa is tagging along with me in a few weeks.. and I love her to pieces....We have so much fun...

You have taught her so much too.. You trusted Christa.. and that meant so much to her...thank you...

Christa loves you all..

Shannon said...

I hope Ivey is better and resting comfortably today. What a wonderful post. (Except for Ivey's seizures of course!) To have such wonderful, caring help is so rare (as you probably already know). And the trust issue is top priority. Glad you have her.
-Shannon in Austin

Girl Raised in the South said...

I absolutely loved reading this, of this special person God sent to you guys to encourage and support you. She's obviously going to make a wonderful nurse, but sounds like she makes a pretty special grafted-in family member too!

Kouper Shane said...

I watched an Oprah show the other day about Miracle Children. I couldn't help but think of Little Miss Ivey. She surely should have been on the show. I am sorry to hear of her recent difficulties and I hope things are better now. I am amazed by her accomplishments. Keep on trucking pretty lady.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...