8.22.2008

I Just Wish


I have to admit for the first two years of Ivey's life I was a closet "I Wisher". I would prance around in public screaming everything is fine, things are going great and then run home slam the door, bolt it and scream out all the things I wished were different. I especially 'wished' for those 'normal' things that happened to 'normal' children who lived in 'normal' families. So my poor husband and mom were the proud recipients of my well wishing-which is not a pretty sight. I am not sure if it was Ivey's trach coming out, her turning two or a culmination of the two, but some of the 'Wishes' that seemed so impossible were starting to seem reasonably possible around last April.

Some time around April I also remember being asked for the millionth time to recall Ivey's medical history and what doctors predict of her future to another new member at a clinic one day. I just couldn't do it again. So I just said, "We don't know her future. No one can tell us since they haven't dealt with this particular chromosomal abnormality; therefore, we are shooting for the stars and plan to land somewhere among them." Blanket answer for everything Ivey. Sounds pretty profound, huh? Well, I was just trying to get out of regurgitating information, but I think that might be the exact path we are on right now. It's kind of like wishing on a star, just not any particular one.

With all that said, it leads me to this. There are so many attributes to Ivey's life that very often are bittersweet. However, it is the bitter that makes our slice of the pie so sweet. When Ivey was born there was an instant 'knowing' that her life was about to be different that any thing Matt and I could wrap our minds around. Our family knew it. Our friends knew. It did not take long for the dark corners of our minds to contemplate just how different our daughter's life would be and that no matter how hard we try to provide her opportunity; it would be the recipients of our efforts that would make the impossible possible in her life.

Matt and I have struggled with how we will fulfill relationships in Ivey's life. I think I speak for any mom –with or without special need children - that we want our children to have friends, to be loved, to be liked and to be accepted. Sometimes the brutality of just how different Ivey's friendships might be is almost too much to bear. But that is where our friends and community step in and where Matt and I have proven to be very very blessed. As for the rest of this story, I truly believe that only other parents of special needs children can sincerely appreciate the blessings bestowed to our family and faithful people that happen to be part of our lives and especially Ivey's life.

This is the beginning of another amazing chapter in Ivey's life. The beginning of the rest of this story is below..............

7 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

And I just wish I could tell you how sharing your heart touches mine. I love the sameness you show amongst the hearts of any mother. And yet I know you have gone through valleys I have not.

Karen Owens said...

We got Gavin's kid Kart today -- Oh My Gosh -- Let me just say... I'm in love!

Heather said...

When I come by and read about where you all are on your path,the twists the turns,the whole journey,I truly smile because I do indeed know.Now, that does not mean that as you venture along and hit those bumps I do not feel also the emotion of that time as well.Maybe not a smile that day perhaps a wide range of other feelings for you. For Ivey. It only means I too see the blessings with crystal clarity and enormous gratitude.I feel joy for you as you gaze out and see that path before you.That you see sweet amongst the bitter makes you all the more blessed. Thank you for this post. It was beautiful.

Lonely Paul said...

Peace be with you

Anonymous said...

Very well put Gwen! I just love Ivey's bag!

Shannon said...

The pic of Ivey's backback in he cubby speaks volumes. I am so glad that she is in preschool. The pic of her with the other children around he pay table is awesome. What joy you must feel to see Ivey amongst her peers. Learning. Playing. Expressing.
Watching and learning from afar. Thank you so much for sharing Ivey's life with us.
-Shannon in Austin

Unknown said...

you are absolutely amazing Gwen. Good for you to make that phone call. Ivey is going to do great things. I love her bag!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...