6.16.2008

Record Breaking

Matt still holds the record. I am hesitant to say that this is some sort of accomplishment, but out there in testosterone land it must be. About a month or so ago, Matt (with Ivey and I in the car) made it from Floyd Hospital to Scottish Rite in under 45 minutes. It was past midnight so traffic was light, but keep in mind that record includes us stopping for gas. So last Monday night when Ivey earned us a luxury trip to Scottish Rite from Floyd via ambulance, I was even more wowed by our previous record when the EMT could not break Matt's driving record. (Wowed - not impressed mind you.) As you can imagine, when riding with my husband there is no sight-seeing involved.

Ivey did have more seizures. For whatever reason, we do not have them controlled right now. We are adapting medications and trying to keep weight and illness in check, all of which can lead to break through seizures. The only thing really notable is a change in her sleep pattern; however, her sleep pattern alters at the drop of a hat, so it is noticeable mainly in hind sight. Ivey did spend last Monday night in Scottish Rite's ER and was released early on Tuesday morning.

Then the fun really began.

While I was still sitting in Atlanta in the ER with Ivey at 9:00 am, Matt was in the car driving back to Scottish Rite (breaking more records I am sure) and we were both thinking of the plane that we were supposed to be on as it headed west to Las Vegas. It was to be our first trip away – without kiddos and further than an hour away since Ivey was born. My thoughts on this, either we are very unlucky people or the plane was going to spiral straight down from the sky and Ivey saved us. And knowing how much I hate to fly, but do, it had to be a near fatal miss. So instead of sitting on a plane, Matt was driving back to Atlanta yet again to pick Miss Ivey and myself up from Scottish Rite.

I'll let you in on a conversation that Matt and I had on our drive home from Scottish Rite's ER. Should we go on and try to catch a later flight? Or, would that make us the most irresponsible parents on the face of the Earth? Or, do we say, this (seizures) is life with Ivey and keep living life the best we can amongst them? Or, does leaving make us the most irresponsible parents on Earth? Or, do we go on because we know we are leaving the boys and Ivey in very capable hands and no matter the situation, they CAN handle it? Or, does leaving make us the most irresponsible parents on Earth? See a pattern here?

Could we possibly get another flight out? Rome to Atlanta, Rome to Atlanta, Atlanta to Rome, Rome to Atlanta, Atlanta to Vegas within 18 hours? Possible/Impossible? Are you a bettin' person?

I'll let you figure out what we ended up doing all on your own. But, I'll leave you with this final thought, had I put all of last weeks events together and realized that we would be flying home on FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH – my feet would have NEVER EVER left Georgia soil.


4 comments:

Heather said...

Am I a betting person? Well,let's see? I live a 45 min. plane ride away from Vegas. The last time I was there was 10 years ago because when I was last there I won 500.00on $1.00 slot machine. Headed to the Forum Shops to treat myself and lost ALL of it on my way there! Me and Vegas do not mix!Very dangerous. I say if you did go, I get the inkling you did, good for you. Even if it meant heading home 18 hours later. A brief moment to catch your breathe before life begins again. A trip to Starbucks by myself is sometimes my ever so brief moment to regroup. Hope Ivey's seizure behave this week.

Girl Raised in the South said...

I'm dying to hear what you decided, and knowing it was the right decision, whatever it was. Hope those seizures get settled down. Love your new template - the pink is fabulous. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Well since your current song is Viva Las Vegas I'm taking a wild guess here and saying that you went. LOL I hope you had a wonderful time lounging by the pool and drinking margaritas!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you guys got to go, but I am with you on luck, lightening has struck our house twice in 377 days. You guys deserve some time to yourselves, and no, it doesn't make you bad parents. I give you so much credit for facing all the challenges you have had to face. I admire you, your husband and your boys God blessed Ivey with a wonderful, loving caring family. Okie Nana

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...