11.07.2007

What's your song?

I was sitting here thinking, yeah I know, blondes do that too. Anyway, it’s Wednesday morning and Ivey and I are here in our house alone. She is asleep and it’s quite! Can you believe it? Actually, I don’t know what to do with myself and I am revolting against cleaning anything – I did put a load of laundry in, but that doesn’t count because if I didn’t we would be swimming in laundry. How is it that two small boys and one tiny baby can wear so many clothes? Who’s changing them?

Normally my dad is here on Wednesdays, but Christa will be here later on today, so he is coming over tomorrow. He does that. My dad comes over a couple of mornings a week to help me with Ivey so that I can get boys to school and on occasion run to the gym, or some other errand(s). Emptiness in our home is rare. And since Ivey and I have both been sick this week on top of the four, no five, trips to Atlanta for doctors and hospitals, well silence is nice. Obviously, I am not good with it because I can not sit and enjoy it – there has to be something to do…and like I said, I refuse to do house work for the next thirty minutes.

I am actually sitting here trying to work on an article for our MAPS newsletter. I am stuck – blank – nothing. Sorry guys. Anyway, before Ivey went to sleep, I put on my IPod for her. I have a ‘kids’ playlist. Now that she is asleep, I switched it over to ‘my playlist’. It got me thinking, yeah that thinking thing again. Most of the songs I have saved have a memory attached to them. That’s the joy of an IPod I guess. My songs are very random. I was listening to Victory in Jesus, which makes me remember my grandmother singing in church. She did not have a beautiful voice, but a distinct voice that I can’t shake from my memory. Her laugh was the same. There’s this Dixie Chicks song that reminds me of my friend and old roommate, Trista, whom I miss unbelievably. Can’t help but giggle just thinking about her. Then there is Baby Got Back – that’ll take you back. I can hear that song playing from Stacey’s (get this) red t-top Camero with the big speakers in the back; I refuse to give you any other details. What’s the Frequency Kenneth reminds me of some college days. Etta James’ At Last is the song that Matt and I danced to at our wedding. My favorite is Fire by the Pointer Sisters and Pachelbel. The list goes on and on…

Ivey’s little story has its own designated songs that have distinct meaning and memories for me. Wonder by Natalie Merchant defines Ivey to a T. Ordinary Miracle makes me smile at her. The Toy Story song You’ve Got a Friend in Me makes me think of Ivey with her brothers. Little Miss Magic makes me think of Matt and Ivey - Matt loves Buffet. Every time I hear Standing Outside the Fire it makes me feel empowered. I remember the video told the story of a DS boy and his family. It makes hard days easier - Music is becoming more and more import around here. Ivey loves it. Ivey loves Enya’s Wild Child. Come to think of it she likes several Enya songs. The first time I heard a song by Dar Williams I cried. It described my journey with Ivey – to me. It is a beautiful song.

Some of Ivey’s songs are on the playlist at the bottom of the page if you want to hear any of them, just hit end on the computer, it'll take you straight there. If you have time listen to Dar Williams’ The One Who Knows. (Just click on it)

Usually, the best stories are attached to a song. So what are some of your favorite songs with stories?

12 comments:

Lynn and Keith said...

one of my favorite stories is when christa was young, we were riding in the car listening to the radio. she asked me a question which I responded yes to. but I really wasnt listening, I was busy singing the words to the song "hang on sloopy". pretty soon, I heard her singing 'hang on stupid,stupid hang on'. I laughed so hard. I told her the word was sloopy not stupid, and she responded that she asked me if they were singing stupid and I had said yes. so now every time we hear that song, we get a big laugh and she still sings it her way. and now I listen more carefully when I respond to yes. dont we just love our christa?!

Dawn said...

Hi,

I'm writing to let you know that I've passed on the "Community Blogging Award" to you. Thank-you for sharing your precious little girl with us, and in doing so, working to break down the barriers of discrimination.

Love watching your Ivey grow and thrive. :)

d:)

Anonymous said...

I just loved that song you had on your blog about 3 or 4 songs ago. What was the title and artist name. I could listen to it all day. I love reading about Ivey and her accomplishments. Go Ivey!!! Okie Nana

Ivey's Mom said...

I think it was Enya 'wild child'. It is a great song, very soothing.

Aunt Boo said...

I love love love her song list. I may have to borrow that list and put it on my own IPod. She has great taste!

Amanda

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I almost always like the music on your blog. You seem to have very eclectic taste, like me. "Fingerprints of God" is our big story song because my daughter was pronounced deceased in utero, then obviously, had a heartbeat again when they went in to do the D&C. Today, she is in perfect health. A bona fide miracle - and that song was played a lot at that time and spoke to me directly. I had just had a miscarriage four months before this and that song was special because they ALL are made with the fingerprints of God. Even those we must wait to meet or those with special needs like your sweet Ivey. I love that verse - that He knew us from even BEFORE we were knit together in our mother's wombs. Precious. And it got me through.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It has been an inspiration to me.
I did listen to that song, and it made me cry too!

That is so wonderful your Dad comes over so often. That is a true blessing. ..What a great Father.

Hope you have a great day,
Lee

Renee said...

I am horrible with remembering songs titles and the names of artists even though there is always music playing here. But I do really like the soundtrack from Curious George. There is a song on there that I knew from the moment I saw the movie would always remind me of #2 if not all the boys, but for the life of me cannot tell you anything about the song.

I love clicking through the songs on Ivey's page. I came back quite a bit to listen to Wild Child and some others.

And can I just add how sweet that is that your dad comes regularly to help you out. How special! Hope you enjoyed your quiet time. :)

Sarah said...

I love this post Gwen! I'm going to have to think about it, though--Addie has a CD of songs from the time of her heart surgery, but I can't listen to it anymore. Last summer seems so far away, and all the songs are sad! I need to think of new songs for her--I wonder if there's one titled "Miraculous Spitfire"? That would describe her to a T.

Your comment today about Ivey popping out her eyes made me laugh out loud! I love your sense of humor. I could've used some of it yesterday during my Hour of Humiliation :)

Anonymous said...

My main impact song is not an uplifting one unfortunately. When Violet was in NICU we were just told of her eye condition after already having to hear all the other diagnosis'. When I said goodbye to my husband Dave and older daughter Emily, I was crying and a song from Simple Plan called Untitled came on the radio at the time, now whenever I hear that song I just cry and all those memories come flooding back as if it were only yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Thank you I ordered a couple of Enya's CD and I can't wait till I get them. Thanks, Okie Nana

Anonymous said...

I have so many. The high school days, the songs grandma sang, the songs from college,the songs from old friends, past "loves", and those that remind me of each of my children. Now I'm listening to Ivey's list and adding more to my favorites!!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...