10.10.2007

A big day is near

I am so excited that I don’t know where to start or what to say. After all these months Ivey is almost there – just a few more days.

Well, I guess I should backtrack for a second because you have no idea what is going on. This morning Ivey visited her ocularist. And yes, she has now been fitted for her prosthetics which is one amazing process and such a gift that someone out there enjoys making little eyes for people.

Back to the point, Ivey’s molds have been made. Now we wait for the prosthetics. All things going as planned and her ocularist, Mr. Herndon, will mail them to us Friday. That’s right, mail them! There’s something incredibly funny about that.

So keep checking back. This is a big day. They change her appearance so much. A milestone is fast approaching and this will be a big page in her book – so once she has them, I would like for everyone to leave her a comment so that I can read her the names of all the amazing people who love her and keep up with special moments in her life.

What color are they? Oh, you’ll have to wait and see for yourself!!

Gwen+

ps.
I read this great article today. As excited as I am for Ivey, I am just as excited about Knox and Walker. Knox practiced hitting a baseball as I pitched to him, and he did great. Knox has a fever today, but he sure is tough. For the most unusual milestone, Walker got it this morning that he is a true Southerner. He kept saying things like "Ya'll look" as he spoke to me and Matt. Just yesterday he was still saying mom and dad; today he figured out the true southern plural. This post will give you a glimpse into Knox and Walker's world or it might give you a glimpse into your own child's world. Our children are to be commended-for just being themselves. Go HERE.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

how exciting for you to get "new eyes". i have to tell you that my great-grandfather was superintendent of the baltimore school for the blind many years ago and was instrumental in encouraging the use of the new braille system all over the world! to think that this little cherub might benefit from his devotion to the blind! also, i go to bulgaria and visit orphanages every year; many children who are born blind are abandoned by their parents - rejected by family and society. they end up in homes for the handicapped where they suffer from malnutrition and neglect and become severely handicapped as a result (google "bulgaria's abandoned children" to see a bbc documentary). praise God that ivey was born to loving parents who desperately want her and love her and will do everything they can to help her achieve her potential! good luck and i know you are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the mailman! can't wait to see what color they are and the beautiful pictures of ivey! jan431

Anonymous said...

I'm predicting they will be BLUE!
Can't wait to see photos of beautiful Ivey with her new eyes.

Love,
Sheila & Grace

Anonymous said...

Oh Gwen...words cannot express my excitement for your family. This is indeed a BIG day for you all. I will never forget the day Ella received her prosthetics. It took my breath away. The feeling of eye contact that I still get when I look at her has been such a blessing to me. I will be praying for a "smooth" day for Ivey as the prosthetics are put in place. I can't wait to hear how this process makes you feel :)
Jill

Jennifer said...

GWEN!!!! I cannot believe the time has come for Ivey to get her eyes. I cannot wait ti see her. I hope you blog about how you finally arrived on a color!

Renee said...

Oh that does sound exciting! Can't wait to see her precious face. And as always, I enjoy the humor you always seem to find in the challenges you face.

Anonymous said...

I just love Ivey. She is such an inspiration and doll to watch. I found your blog through Ashley's I think. I have been reading it for awhile and thought I would say, Hi! I can't wait to see her eyes. God bless you today, Colleen

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it is time already for Ivey to get her eyes! How exciting! I'll be sure to check back!

Ashley said...

Gwen,
I am so excited for your sweet girl! What a milestone! She looks so good in the videos and I am so encouraged as I watch her accomplish more and more. Thank you for sharing her with the world. God bless. Trish

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Wow I can not wait to see little Ivey in her special eyes:) And you have me very anxious to see what color they are:)

What a "special" delivery that will be:)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for Ivey and your entire family!! Through my son attending the school for the blind I have met many parents who have been through this and what a wonderful moment it is!

Alison said...

I CANNOT wait to see what colour they will be! What a huge day for all of you!!!

The Rutland Family said...

How exciting! We are thrilled for you all (especially Miss Ivey!) What a great day we are all looking forward to with you. You are all an amazing family! We would love to get together! Know that you are always in our "God Blesses." (That's what Julia calls our prayers). Keep us posted!
Jud, Pam, Julia and Sam

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your gorgeous Ivey to receive her prosthetics!

Look forward to seeing your photos posted on the blog and of course the colour of choice!!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I am so excited for you because I can "hear" the excitement in your own words! I bet it will take some getting used to; I'm so used to seeing Ivey with her conformers (was that the right word?). Thank you for that article. It helps to teach me as one who has never walked that particular road. I love how you make such an effort at remembering Knox and Walker's place in this calling. And on a completely unrelated note - I would love to listen to your IPOD! You always pick great songs!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the unveiling of Ivey's new eyes. How fun for everyone!

Leslie said...

Oh, sweet Ivey! We cannot wait to see you with your new peeps!

I am predicting they are hazel...so she'll look like ME! ♥

And that is just cooler than cool that they will be delivered.

Sweet girl, you (and your family) are so blessed.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...