8.02.2007

It's making me crazy

It is official.

I have lost my mind, or at least the part of my brain which used to function like an intelligent (although many may not agree) adult. Earlier this week Stacy called to see if she could switch Thursday for Wednesday. Great. But, I had no idea what I was switching. You see last week Ivey was scheduled to have an EEG for this Wednesday, which meant a trip to her neurologist in Atlanta, thus meaning I would need someone to ride along. However, Stacy was planning to go somewhere with us on Thursday...I had no idea. So I played along and said, "Sure, that will work out fine." Of course when I agreed about changing from her planned Thursday to Wednesday, I had no idea where I was supposed to be going on Thursday. Hence, I should have gotten a clue…..this was going to be a long week and officially the first time that I truly dropped all of the balls that I thought I had mastered in the grand juggling act. Thank God I haven’t been juggling daggers.

So yesterday, Wednesday, the vicious cycle of clumsiness began. Somehow I planned for Ivey’s Physical therapist to be here at 9:30 am. I also planned for Stacy to be here to leave for Atl. At 9:30. Then I checked phone messages, which by the way our messages are rarely checked. If you called weeks or even months ago, you might still be wondering why the call was never returned…..we never checked the message. Send a pigeon. It would be more apt to get the message here before voicemail. Anyway, message said we were to be at Ivey’s cardiologist at 10:00 am. Now I don’t know about you, but one mom and one baby can only be in one place at one time. Duped.

Lucky for us the cardiologist's nurse called early Wednesday a.m., and guess why, his wife had a baby. One appointment down and rescheduled…..onto PT…So off we went to the neurologist. Imagine driving an hour and a half with a baby with a full tummy who must remain awake for 5 hours prior to the EEG. The impossible was accomplished by Stacy and cold wet wash cloths…..not so much fun. By the way, Ivey finally slept once we arrived back in Rome many hours later.

That brings us to Thursday. Somehow I had it in my mind that I did not need someone to ride to Ivey’s appointment anyway; we were only driving to the local hospital to visit her gracious GI doctor who comes here, which means that is one drive we do not have to make to Scottish Rite. Well, I got up to the pediatric wing…no doctor..not even going to be here until the 20 something of August. What? So why is it on my calendar-which is never wrong. I’ll tell you why. I am an idiot. Ivey was supposed to be at Scottish Rite at her craniofacial appointment not in Rome for GI. So here was the downfall. Calendar said 12:30 Williams. Below that, make appointment with William M. Too many people have either the first name William or the last name Williams and when it is written on my calendar obviously we go to the wrong appointment. (in the wrong town) These people need new names. Sorry Mandy, this does not include you, unless you schedule something with me on the same day as the two stated above. If I don't show up, call a doctor. I am probably there wondering where the heck I should be.

My question…where should I be tomorrow? Does anyone out there know?

Add to this a four year old with a fever and throwing up and a two year old with an extra dose of energy. My dad is a Saint. He manned the house while I was out gallivanting around with Ivey. Superdad/Gran-Gran.

At least Ivey did get her blood drawn to check her Phenobarbital level while we were at the hospital today. The girl stuck Ivey 2 times; all the while I am asking to get another person to stick her because she was not having much luck. Watching a needle wiggle around in Ivey's arm at the hand of someone else makes a momma temper go off. Compressing the urge to slap her hand or go over the table and tackle her and then jam a needle into her arm and wiggle it around sits right on the edge of my nerves and is near impossible to not act upon. I smiled the entire time so not to provoke some angry woman with a needle. She never did get someone else to try to stick Ivey. Got home and guess what, the lab called to tell me there was not enough of a blood sample to test, would we mind coming back tomorrow?

What do you think?

16 comments:

Lauren said...

You are hilarious, not an idiot. So glad to hear that someone else cannot get through the week/day without forgetting something. I know that feeling, too, of watching them stick your baby and wiggle it. You describe it perfectly. If I ever need you anywhere, I'll call to remind you. How about that? But, could you do the same for me? Please?

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Bless your heart, Gwyn, you must have just wanted to crawl up in a hospital bed and rest until you could try all over again. But hey, I can't keep SINGLE appointments in mind half the time. Nevermind the several per week that you juggle, successfully, the majority of the time! Still, I hope all the incoveniences it caused you will work out smoothly as you try to tackle it all again.

Alison said...

I'm sorry but you have me in stitches! What a week!!! Oh my!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted - I've been waiting on an update of your crew.

I still don't know how you do it - keeping it all straight - at least you knew you were supposed to be SOMEWHERE!

God bless!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Ohhh my! I am very impressed that this doesn't happen every week! How do you do it? And so glad you can make light about all of it:) I'm sure it's either laugh or cry, right.

Just Tera said...

what a week you had. wishing you a nice quiet moment to regroup and tackle it again with renewed energy.

Lei said...

I can't imagine how hard it msut be to keep it all straight. I have a hard enough time with my 2 boy's weekly therapy appointments. It's crazy!

Aunt Boo said...

I used to be the momma you are right now. My daughter also had/has serious problems.(ie seizures and she has had heart surgery)I could never remember where I should be and when and like you I had to travel to Atlanta for some of those appointments. It is a crazy time but things will get better.

I hope you are having a better day.

Amanda

Jennifer said...

Oh, Gwen! It has been one of those weeks... TGIF. At least you have your sense of humor!

Anonymous said...

I had one of those days where two appointments were scheduled on the same day. I honestly thought they were both at the same hospital, don't know how I got that when our requisition clearly said the other was at a hospital closer to us. I realized the issue about 20 minutes prior to the appointment. There was no way we could get to the other hospital within that time, it was an hour plus drive. All this to say . . . you're not alone! Too many appointments can really mess someone up.

Go again tomorrow? Ummm . . . can they schedule it with someone specific? Can you ship the blood work? I think I'd go to bed instead. Thanks for sharing your life with us. :0)

Connie Barris said...

I could have never been a peds nurse (but my niece is going to be , right??!!)... and I am one of those moms that don't handle 'other' Med profs. that probe babies... I go off after try #1...I'm a mom first.

so NO.. you are not an idiot...

I don't know how you do what you do...

Erin said...

Oh my, bless your busy little heart!! I think you are doing great!! I haven't been reading blogs as much, so I am here getting caught up on yours. I love the pictures on the right!!

Domestic Goddess said...

I've done that! Gone on the wrong day, at the wrong time, or to the wrong doctor. Glad I am not the only one, teehee! But sorry you had to go through it!

Leslie said...

Oh, GIRL. I know you're stressed...but you expressed it in a hilarious way. Even though it doesn't feel hilarious. You said it well.

A moment in our marriage that I will never forget was Todd in the chair trying to give a vial of blood. The nurse poked and poked and poked...and poked. I heard an odd sound and turned to find him GREEN and her SLAPPING him. I wanted to hurl just out of sympathy. The boy was S.I.C.K. Watching Jack give blood gives me that same feeling...

I hope this week is better!

Borbe Bunch said...

Breath Liz, Breath...that is what I tell myself on days such as the one you described :)
I can SOOOO relate...I find it hard to take the time to write the appointments in my date book!! Ahhh...anyways, thanks for your funny way of sharing a day in the life of YOU :)
I appreciate you and your love for your children...
A blessed mommy

Sarah said...

Oh, dear, Gwen. I should've taken you on vacation with me!

Addie has icky veins and has never been stuck successfully the first time--it makes me come unglued :)

I hope that this week has been much, much calmer!!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...