8.25.2007

Footprints

This past week Ivey took her first beach trip. In fact, it was her first vacation and one that she had very much earned. As always, she astonished me. My sweet 14 pound 17 month old brought the sure basics of life straight to the surface.

Let me backtrack for just one moment. Soon after Ivey was born my friend Sarah gave me a copy of the poem Footprints in the Sand. Reading the poem for the first time after Ivey’s birth was a God Moment. I taped it to the inside cover of a picture book of Ivey’s. I cannot tell you how many times I have read over that familiar poem in the past year, always searching out some means of comfort. I had read the same poem hundreds of times before Ivey’s birth, but after she was born the poem took on new meaning. Suddenly I was the one walking alone.

Solitude. Loneliness. Isolation. Seclusion. Separation.

Those words describe life, at times, with a special needs child. It feels like you are the only one. Throw in an obscenely rare trait like anophthalmia and the loneliness intensifies. It magnifies itself to an incomprehensible point at times.

Some days I want some one to say “I understand” and mean it. Weeks like this one, where Ivey’s seizures tighten the coils. Our neurologist wanted to try to isolate exactly which type of seizure Ivey is having; however, he’ll have to do some research. She also developed a urinary tract infection. We spent Friday having ultrasounds because of that. Now we must wait until next week to find out if Ivey has issues with her kidney(s). In all likelihood she does not. She has spent the past year without any problems with her bladder or her kidneys. Nevertheless, we have been warned that over time we will probably find more problems. So, three more days loom ahead of us until we know. The walls close in tighter.

Suffocation.

Back to the beach. Very early one morning I carried Ivey down to the beach. There was no one out except for the occasional morning jogger. We walked the beach for a while then came back to the spot in front of our condo. There I knelt down so that Ivey could stand in the sand while waves washed up on her feet. As the water washed over her tiny feet and buried them deeper into the sand, she would grow very still and tilt her head to one side, concentrating intently. She was completely in the moment.

Watching Ivey take in the sounds, smells and feel of the water and sand brought tears to my eyes. For some reason I began to think about that poem as we were kneeling there. Early mornings on the beach are so serene. As we stood up to go back inside I looked down the beach one last time and that is when I realized the poem is completely right yet it leaves off something very important.

In the poem it says when you see only one set of footprints you are not alone. It is then that God is carrying you. However, there were countless footprints on the beach that morning even though no one was there. Not only are we lifted up are carried, but we are also braced by those around us in our daily lives, whether placed there by intention or default, and only if we choose to be. I think that along the way there are many people, angels if you will, who are there to help too. Those walking in our lives daily leave those same footprints on our hearts. They may not be able to step into my shoes and feel the weight at times, but many of them are mothers and can imagine. They are also friends who sometimes sit there on the sidelines feeling helpless in trying times, other times they feel the excitement of good news. Those are God Moments too.

Most often the strangers yank me back into reality and remind me that I am making choices to perceive myself as journeying alone. Last Saturday we stopped at a restaurant for dinner on our way back home from the beach. We were about to leave when two elderly women asked if Ivey had a problem with her eyes. As my mom held Ivey, I explained Ivey’s condition and answered various questions about her medical situation. They both shook their heads saying that Ivey is a miracle baby. Finally, one of the women asked if she could lay her hands on Ivey and pray. So they both did. And right there in the restaurant they began praying aloud for my daughter. I watched as my mom fought back tears. I watched as Ivey smiled at the two strangers touching her hand and leg praying for her.

Sunday as I sat in the ER watching Ivey have her second seizure, I thought about those two women. The thought brought comfort – not loneliness.

We are surrounded by people who are willing and wanting to help us carry the weight. Some come in the form of strangers - others we call friends. Either way, God has placed very special people in our lives as a tangible means to feel that we are not going at this alone. There are others out there. Sometimes you have to set out to find them; other times they find you.

12 comments:

Alison said...

I am covered in goosebumps as I shed happy tears for you. I guess there are sad ones mixed in as well. May the lonely times be few and the surrounded times be many...

dana peek said...

got to get back into routine with you..what is monday like??? i tutor in am ( til 12 then have about 30 min before julianne pickup......... i will try to call. or you call me at 7707150183 or danapeek@bellsouth.net to let me know what monday is like.....dana

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Gwen,

This post is about the most touching I've ever read. I am fully engulfed in tears at the pure beauty of eloquence in explaining your heart as close to us being able to know without actually walking in your shoes. Honestly, it caused me to want to step up my prayers for Ivey all the more. She IS a miracle. I absolutely beamed at hearing how she experienced the ocean like we all should and don't - because we CHOOSE to take so much for granted. I LOVE your footprints epiphany! That blessed me greatly. What a special woman you are to bless others so deeply through your own toughest lessons.

Borbe Bunch said...

Thank you for this Gwen.
The footprints you are placing in my own life are a blessing.
Thank you for being open and honest.
Glad we are friends.
Liz

Connie Barris said...

I'm not sure who carries who... because so many times.. your stories just lift me up beyond anything humanly tangible..

It must be God...

Today in church, I was listening to our pastor, but also thinking of Ivey, praying for her.. and for you and Matt and the boys...because every day must bring new joys but new challenges as well...esp. with the seizures that have started...and my heart just went out wanting to "fix" it all but knowing that God is the only One that can.

But our(mine and God's) conversation was something like this...

Our first scripture reading this morning was Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."

so I asked God, "Why?" why then didn't you help Ivey...

the big ol' silence thing....

OK.... I gotcha God...not speaking.

and the verse that came to mind, urhhhh,Isaiah 55:9 "My ways are not your ways"... and I'm thinking, why do you do this to me God?.....just spill it...

ok..again...

but my friends are hurting,,, can we just lighten up a little..??and where are You God? My heart was just so heavy....

And my Bible openned up to this verse...

John 16:32 "Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me"

and in that moment, I remembered my conversation with God... that it is not my place to understand.. but to pray for you guys.. to trust our Lord.. and to know He is there...always...

so with that, I am praying for you all... knowing I can't fix any of it...which is very frustrating...

do I understand--No..

I can only imagine but then I doubt it is even close...

But I will sure pray without ceasing...

that is my gift to Ivey and you...

Jennifer said...

Gwen- I want you to send this in to Newsweek's My Turn or something. It is absolultely beautiful. Truly, truly!
You & Ivey are huge blessings.

Erin said...

This was beautiful. I teared up. I can just imagine sweet Ivey taking in the beach. Precious. And, the two women - Thank You, God, for people like them! How wonderfully sweet. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Marlo said...

I stumbled across your blog about a week ago and just wanted to take a moment to say how beautiful Ivey is.

I wasn't sure if I should comment or not. I know that sometimes blogs can be very personal things and I did not want to impose but I couldn't resist after reading such an amazing entry. This post brought tears to my eyes and reminded me how powerful words can be. You have an amazing family and I appreciate you allowing us to share in your daughter’s journey. I look forward to seeing Ivey grow and I will pray for her every step of the way.

Lauren said...

I wish I could have been there to witness Ivey's "ocean experience." I learn so much from her and her experiences. Thank you for sharing them with us. I am so glad that you do realize that we ARE surrounding you with our footprints waiting to carry whatever load you may pass on. Please continue to remember how much we love you and your family.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Your writing is so beautiful Gwen! I often read with tears running down my cheeks, as I did this time. Ivey and your boys are so blessed that YOU are their Mama:)

I'm so sorry to hear of her bladder infection and another seizure. My Mom had seizures at times so I am aware of how painful it is to watch someone have one, let alone your baby.

How sweet and thoughtful of those woman to pray for sweet Ivey! She is a miracle baby. I am still praying for all of you.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Oh, I can just imagine her little face, taking in the feel of the breeze, the sand and water between her toes (and being hugged by mommy)!

I do wish I could say I understand what you go through and mean it. I am a mother, and I do try to imagine, even though that seems little to offer you. Thank you (again - I feel like I'm always saying this) for sharing Ivey's journey - your journey - so we don't get caught in the trap of chasing things that don't really matter. It's good to stick to the basics of life.

Love and prayers,

Katherine

Susejevoli said...

You will be right because you are with the LORD. So hang in there! I will pray for you ;)

God Bless.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...