5.27.2007

The Alternative

Several weeks ago my friend Megan in my online anophthalmia group responded to another parent whom was concerned about things that people will say to or about their child in public. The mom wanted to know how the rest of us ‘handled’ questions or comments. Things like ‘what’s wrong with her’, ‘Why is she sick’, some type of sympathy comment, or the worst ‘I am so sorry’. Megan has learned how to handle those questions with grace. Without making the person asking the questions feel uncomfortable, Megan can answer the questions. She has tact.

More often than not, I find myself explaining things, trying to make the other person feel comfortable. Never mind the fact they just made our family and my children feel like a sideshow.

Here’s the thing - What do you say?

I have juggled this particular issue for a while. I know it is hard. I remember being on the flip side. Depending on the day, our place in time and most often the amount of sleep, my response to ‘those’ questions vary. Sometimes it is easy to turn the other cheek, blow it off, be polite; other times, well….lets just say my facial expression probably speak volumes. No matter the advice I have received about comments, my reaction is always the same. It is easy to bare a solution especially if you have never had the experience - never will have the experience - or only experience the moment on very vast occasions. I call this (sorry if it sounds offensive) the cheap seats. The result of inconsiderate comments results in two things. One, our hearts break. Two, my sons are usually watching, LISTENING and potentially given an opportunity to see Ivey different than what she is - their happy normal baby sister.

Then last week my friend Martha sent me an AWESOME clipping about things said to parents of special needs children. It tackled all of the above and then some. A parent of special needs children wrote the article. It helps to explain a little of what is going on in the lives of the family, our family. Basically, it gives tips on how to strike up a conversation.

Trust me - I have seen the look on ALL of my friends’ faces at some point - the look of ’what can I possibly say to you?’ My friends all got over that months ago. Not long ago I had a friend, I will leave her name out, said she worried when she held Ivey. Of course I asked ‘why? ‘, she is fine. She said “I am always worried about my breath. I don’t want Ivey to recognize me as the lady with smelly breath”. See. They are over it. But there is a world out there that still doesn’t know. The article Martha sent was written to help others get past the awkward and uneasy feeling that most people get when trying to talk to someone with a special needs child. I would love to email it to any one who might be interested.

Despite my own personal feelings and Matt’s personal feelings, Ivey has one awesome life. As her parents, Matt and I worry for her a lot; we bare the brunt of issues. We are handed the other ‘stuff’ that makes her life different. Ivey has no idea that we juggle her financial responsibilities, medical responsibilities, medications, home health, therapies, doctor appointments, a rigorous daily schedule, and countless other tedious responsibilities. She doesn't know things about her are different. But if you take a close look, there is something quirky about all of us.

Ivey wakes up in the morning to a nurse who is so sweet to her. Her brothers and parents come in to her room to kiss her good morning. The rest of her day revolves around feedings, naps, baths and playing. She does have medications, trach care and a few extra things to tend to during the day-but it is her life. Take those out and the rest sounds kind of normal, huh?

If everyone who met Ivey would put their own personal experiences aside, look past her gadgets and sit down with Ivey, talk to her, play with her, interact with Ivey exactly like any other one year old; they would find one very happy baby. More than once I have been asked if she is always so content. Happy. Yes. She pretty much goes with the flow. No, it has not always been that way, but it is NOW. She has a smile that is contagious. Ivey has stamina. Believe in me, she has a whole lot of willpower and a little bit of sass.

Unfortunately, Ivey has something else. Let’s just say it is her sixth sense. If she feels that you are uncomfortable or uneasy, she will not respond so openly. SHE KNOWS.

It probably sounds like I got a little side tracked, not really, just on my soapbox.

Ivey has nothing wrong with her.

She does breathe through a trach which is different from most people, but not all.

She has a feeding tube, so do others.

She is blind; however, she is not the only little blind girl with anophthalmia out there. There are more.

Ivey is not sick. She is as healthy as a horse. Her gadgets do not qualify her as ‘sick’.

Ivey is ALIVE. She is full to the brim of LIFE. Ivey beat the odds. There is no room or time for sympathy or pity around here. If you want to send me or Matt into the deep end just say two words ‘Poor Thing’. That little girl has out done all of us when it comes to overcoming the impossible….PRAISE her!

Last but definitely not least, there is nothing in our lives that we are sorry about. N.o.t.h.i.n.g.

I say all of this because I think 99.9% of all other families who have a child who is considered a special needs child, no matter the multitude, feel the same way.

There is always an ALTERNATIVE question or comment to the one that initially pops into your head. Think before you speak. When all else fails - pay a compliment. It works like a charm. The ice is broken.

Last Tuesday we took all three (Knox, Walker, and Ivey) to the Georgia Aquarium. A lady glanced at Ivey a few times then she asked ‘How old is she?’ That lead to me saying, “She is one and our little peanut”. It went from there, neither of us was uncomfortable. Sure for a moment there was a since of awkwardness, but she was thinking outside of the box. She was considerate.

I love questions that leave room for me to be informative about Ivey. The more knowledge out about her diagnosis, the more people understand, the less there is to be anxious about, the more love in Ivey’s life. Many times if Knox is in the vicinity he will answer questions without me saying a word. (Be ready for the four year old version.)

I guess I run into this so often and honestly have been trying to figure out how I should handle the situations. Not only how I will handle them when they occur, but how I process them in my own head and heart. They hurt. I set the tempo no matter how a question is asked, which question is asked or in what tone it is asked. Isn’t there a quote that states life is 10% what happens to you and 90% your attitude, your reaction? I pray (really really hard) to have kindness for those who do not have compassion. Struggling with that one right now. I have little compassion and limited patience for people who are not getting it. It is hard to believe that people can’t see another person with feelings and emotions sitting right before them, whether it be the parent, child or the siblings. Throughout this process with Ivey we have tried to keep in mind that people react in different ways and in their own time, sometimes because of a lack of knowledge about Ivey’s diagnosis, etc, but when it comes to spoken words and sometimes the unspoken, regardless of knowledge, there can always be thought. When all else fails - just smile.


15 comments:

The Rutland Family said...

Gwen~You and your writing are such a blessing!

Just Tera said...

That is one we struggled with a lot too. I have more sass than compasion when it comes to silly questions or remarks. (can not tell you how many times we have been asked "how the sign language is going?"). There comes a point when you just find humor in life and laugh. Sounds like you have a good handle on it and that will make all the difference as Ivey grows.

Alison said...

Gwen, when I read your posts, another little girl comes to mind. He name is Elizabeth, and she is now in her twenties. When she was born, she had to be fed through tubes, her face was not shaped as ours, and I'm not sure that she was expected to live. Each time she had a respiratory infection of any sort it was a big problem. As she grew older, she was fed through a tube in her stomach, had surgery on her scull to try and shape it to match the other side,spent her days in a wheelchair as walking was not a possibility, wore bibs as she cannot swallow...all of these things are still the case, but then and now she is one of the most incredible people you will ever meet. Her spirit, her love for God and her family, her sense of humour, all astound me each time I see her. I remember when I was in highschool being trusted with her care some evenings when her parents would go out. It was always a joy(except the night that her feeding valve for lack of a better word was coming out of her stomach)She lives a wonderful life. She goes each week to the Christian school to hear the students recite scripture. She has it all commited to memory. Astounding girl...puts me to shame! I remember Susan saying that the hardest part of all of it was the reactions of other people, the stares and comments.

I guess my point is nothing astounding, but I wanted to encourage you in that Ivey will do great things making us all sit up and take notice as only she can do! She will bless many, and I am sure that's why she is here.

Peace to you all!

Leslie said...

I have to say I'm the mother hen walking around with her feathers are ruffled...I just WAIT for someone to say something. I guess you could say I am daring someone to say something. I had a lady at WalMart (where else...we live there) watching him intently the other day. She was down every aisle I was and matching my every step. I was ready to pounce. When I checked out, she checked out. As we walked to the door at the same time she finally asked, "How old is he?" I told her and she said, "He is precious." I wanted to hug her! We have gotten the "I am so sorry." We have gotten the tears from those that didn't know what to say. I am SO thankful for our friends that just said, "So what" and moved on. They don't treat Jack any differently and love him unconditionally and that is priceless. And you're so right. They know. Oh, how they know. Jack loves to talk to anyone that will listen. They should just give him a vest at WalMart and put him on payroll, because he greets every single person he sees. When they ignore him, you can tell he knows they're ignoring him. But then he moves on to the next one...determined to find a friend in the crowd. And he always does.

Unknown said...

Gwen, I would love to receive the article to which you refer. Please have some pity on those of us who don't always have the right words. I would imagine most times hearts are in the right places, it's the words that don't know where to go.

Debbie
daybeezho at yahoo dot com

Renee said...

That was an awesome post, Gwen! I love the points you made about Ivey not be "sick" and that you all have nothing to be sorry about. And I would love to hear how your 4 yr old explains things. :)

I remember when our son was born and we were receiving sympathy like cards and sympathy comments. However, there were a few friends who said, "First, we want to congratulate you on the birth of your 2nd son...." That has stuck with me these last 4 years. That one little comment helped keep me going for quite a while.

Jennifer said...

While my situation is completely different from yours, I totally get the sideshow act feeling a lot. I am not a good example, because I just avoid eye contact whenever possible and sometimes pretend I cannot hear people asking me questions when I am somewhere like Kroger or WalMart. I have had lots and lots of "I'm sorrys" or the worst, "I'd shoot myself." I once had a list of smart aleck remarks, but have decided instead to just say, "We are so blessed" and move on.

Connie Barris said...

Gwen,
when you have time, I'd love to read the article....

The truth is-- we are all God's special children

Connie

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Ivey is truly such a blessed little girl. What an awesome family she has been given!

Thank you again for letting us walk in your shoes a bit. And I pray the Lord gives you strength and grace as you face the stares and comments.

If I could see Ivey.... I'd give her a big hug:)

Holly said...

I saw your precious baby doll on Connie's blog...and stopped in to say what a blessing sweet Ivey is!

As I read your post, I think a wonderful way to respond would be a silent thank you to Jesus for the privilege of raising His very favorite baby girl. Then I' smile and reply, "May God Bless You." At that point, you have given Him permission to deal with that heart, which He sees better than anyone. Perhaps they are unable to see with spiritual eyes and need Him.

What a beautiful girl Ivey is and I love to see the pictures of your family...all so beautiful!

May God continue to bless Ivey and give her joy!
With His Love,
Holly Smith

Lei said...

Hugs Gwen! Add me to the list, I'd love to see the article.

Linda said...

I won't lie and say that it is easy to look at a special needs child and not wonder what happened or what is wrong. I myself try not to ask questions, I figure that if I am meant to know, the information will be volunteered. I always try to remember that every child needs love and friendship and I try to show each child I meet that I understand this. I always remember too, that every child is a blessing!

Borbe Bunch said...

Thank you for this post. I am interested in receiving the email you wrote about: borbebunch at yahoo THANKS! :)

I appreciate your heart in the blessing of raising sweet Ivey. I find strength and comfort when I read that I am not alone in the stares and questions...every day it is MY choice in how I respond, because then that sets the "mood" of how my time out in public will be, but I have to say, ONLY by the Grace of GOD can I EVER be polite when others are so rude.

I like to dwell on the thoughts of how, I can walk into Wal-Mart and if a certain elderly woman is the greeter, she goes running, running, to get a cart for me with the built in gray car seat, since Ezzy can't sit...she wipes it down for me, and I place Ezzy's blanket in there and strap him in....it WARMS my heart and to top it off, his sisters give him the Wal-Mart yellow smile sticker...sometimes I don't see them until I am putting him in his car seat! :)

It is all about loving life and growing THICK skin, because people and I would have to say, ADULTS, are scared and mean...I PRAY my other children will grow up with HUGE hearts for children that don't fit the perfect mold and LOVE because of the love of Jesus in their hearts....having Ezzy as a brother is PERFECT reason to teach and train them in this character that is missing in many people today...
OK, this got long...

Blessings and ENJOYING my treasures from above... AND NOT sorry ONE bit for how GOD created my son Ezra... :)
Liz Borbe

Domestic Goddess said...

I used to struggle with just how much information I really needed to give people. I usually just smile when folks make comments that I know they don't mean to be hurtful. I have been asked some very rude questions and I've answered them very briefly (I've gotten, "What's wrong with him?" I kid you NOT!). But truthfully most people smile and are kind.
I know that sometimes think my children are just spoiled brats and just don't understand. They don't know that the sound of a lawnmower drives them inside screaming. They cannot know that the flashing lights and the screams at an amusement park make my children have global nuclear meltdowns. I don't feel like I have to explain anymore. But if they want to ask me an educated question, I am all ears.
What you wrote was beautiful. And so is your daughter!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Gwen,

I appreciate you sharing your heart on this. I have family members with obvious disabilities that are just "family." I'm so used to whatever they must do differently that I don't even think about it. But I've also had people THINK I was pitying them just for saying "hello." Or assumer I was avoiding them because I was in a huge hurry and wouldn't have stopped to talk any way. I think all of our world's political correctness has made it hard for all of us to trust one another. Well, and the rude people, of course. Some people are just plain rude. I appreciate you sharing Ivey with us. You show not just physical changes, but her spirit. And it's beautiful to behold. I consider it an honor to be privy to your story.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...