3.18.2007

Milestones

At one point early in the week all three babies were sitting in front of me in the family room. All four of us were in tears. Knox was vomiting and with a fever of 104. Ivey was coughing persistently which resulted in suctioning her every few minutes, all the while praying I was not the mediator between Knox's bug and her lungs. Poor Walker was left in dire need of much attention. All of which left me crying and trying to figure out how to clone myself, and fast. Still working on that one.

That all said and done leaves only the good stuff. But before I tell you about the good, let me explain about a little obstacle I have run into. Scrapbooking. I do not do it. Not good at it. I have tried and failed. I use the pre-printed baby books you just fill in the blanks and tape in the pictures. It has worked very well with the boys thus far. It does not work well for Ivey. Her sweet book is mostly blank. It all comes down to milestones, mainly those 'first year' milestones. I can draw, write, create, you name it, but the corner of my brain for fashioning a scrapbook just is not there. It seems that scapbooking is a lot like decorating, color schemes and coordinating apply, and I fall in the shallow end there. I need some guidance here and a stroke of creativity.

Ivey has her own little set of unique and miraculous milestones. Just yesterday, she found her toes. Huge moment for her! There are many other moments -milestones- for Ivey. For example, the day she first clasped her hands together. That small task to most told us the two lobes of her brain were working together. Remember the doctors were not sure her corpus collosum was there and if it was, was it working? Hearing her cardiologist tell us that eventhough she has a heart deformity, it works fine is a milestone. How about determining that she could hear? Just letting us touch her face hit a mile marker. She had such a tremendous aversion to touch in the beginning. The first time Ivey tried to sit and to stand are milestones that tell us many tidbits of information about her that many doctors were uncertain. She can not sit on her own or stand, but she has great potential and determination. Her first smile was a God sent milestone. It finally let us know she was happy and that she could show emotions. And how could we leave out her exploring with her hands? The first day she reached out to touch my face was definitely a milestone. I could go on and on and on..... Ivey has a long list of first year milestones that need their own little space documenting their time and place in history. So if you have any good ideas, please, please send them this way.

Gwen.

6 comments:

Lei said...

You could try digital scrapbooking. Hope everyone is feeling better! Yikes!

Connie Barris said...

Gwen,
your writing is so beautiful.. and the pictures you put on the internet are precious...
keep doing that.... and then do like LOTS OF SCOTTS does... have it bound into a book.. and there you go.. there is your scrapbook...

there are several companies out there and it's reasonable.

the outcome: priceless.....

I am praying you guys feel better soon

Connie

Erin said...

I hope your babes are feeling better - and you, too!! Bless your hearts!

I love to scrapbook, but rarely have time to do it. I print out all my posts and keep them in a notebook which has become even more precious to me than my scrapbooks because so much of my heart goes into the posts. I have never used the pre-printed versions of babybooks. I just use my computer (fun fonts) and make my own pages and then stick them on 12x12 paper. I like it better that way. But, you definitely need to print out your posts and put them in an album for Ivey. Very sweet, indeed.

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I have recently come upon online scrapbooking. You just drag and click your borders, stickers, whatever and then it's bound for you into a yearbook like hardcover book - so you can order several and give them as gifts! I will pass on the info to you as soon as I find it again. (Running a business out of a cardboard box is getting OLD!)

Anyway, about your post, that was beautiful. It really gives me perspective to be glad for the little things. Be glad my kids can run and jump and even smile. I am SO HAPPY that Ivey is so determined to make the doctors see her as more than just a little girl with a certain prognosis. I have loved getting to know you both via the computer! You are both beautiful.

Alison said...

Perhaps someone you know would be willing to help you put a special book together. the websites already mentioned are fabulous as well...

Lauren said...

I agree with connie. You have the best scrapbook here...just print it all out and you are done! Love you!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...