3.22.2007

The Foreshadowing of Our Secret Life

The further we walk with Ivey through this life, the more vital I find segments of our journey. Most of which are not important to the general consensus, but primarily to parents similar to us, especially new parents, or parents wondering if some of their feelings are normal. This may appear to be focusing more on my own personal agenda or my husbands personal agenda being that this is Ivey's blog, but let's get real here, we are Her agenda. We go hand in hand. Even though our family and friends share and witness many of our moments, it is like we have a secret life that they never witness. -And we DO- Every so often someone gets a momentary glimpse or introduction into it, but that is all. There are areas that no one friend at this point can truly relate to. I have needed to hear testimony first hand that all would be okay - from someone I knew and trusted. Managing the responsibilities or knowing where to shelve the emotional realm of certain days has been part of our journey along side the obvious medical, personal and family responsibilities. So I am writing this upon random chance a mom finds this and says, 'So it is okay'.

To talk about this we must step back and look at it full circle, not just from the adjustments we have made to our present. When Ivey was born there were many emotions running amok, most women who have given birth can relate to them from a 'normal' birth story. Add in extreme special circumstances, and you have a great roller coaster at a theme park. The moment a baby is born the mother is the primary caregiver. I nursed both boys for six months. I was their source of nourishment. In the middle of the night, I was the one out of bed for this task. There were nights I would have happily passed the torch to my hubby; however, scientific engineering has not reached those depths - YET. In a nutshell, it isn't called Mother's Instinct for nothin.'

At Ivey's birth the laws of nature shifted (it takes a mighty strong storm to shift those laws or a very powerful baby) and became off balance, unnatural. Ivey was taken to a separate place (NICU) away from me. She was literally taken from my body, and then taken from me. My body was left to heal. Healing it would do in ways that I could have never imagined. Only months later can I see it. Instead of them wheeling her back to my room for the bonding process to begin, I had to wobble down a hallway a midst confusion to a bassinet surrounded by equipment beeping. There was no comfort of my heart beating and snuggling. She was lying among the wires in an unfamiliar bed in a dark cold new world. There she would remain. After only a brief few moments, I had to leave her. If I left anything for her to hold onto that first meeting-it was only fear.


Leaving her was the hardest thing I have ever done. I am certain that God pushed me from the room that day. I do not remember moving. But this is where a very important segment of my journey plays out. I had to trust that someone else could take care of my daughter better than I could. I had to believe that this time, momma did not know best. I had to trust. I had to let go of my mother's instinct, if that is entirely possible, and allow someone else to comfort my baby, feed my baby, care for MY baby, to save my baby. The child who needed her momma the most also needed her the least.

For over a month, Ivey's first month, I left her day after day. There were two primary fears I could never let go of that first month. Would she ever know that I was her mom and how will I ever take care of this baby? Only God was controlling the days. Today, without a doubt she knows that I am her momma and I take care of her like no one else can. Hands down. Back then it was much different.

Back then she was surrounded by nurses who loved her and who could do it better. She had a doctor calling all of the shots. I was only a spectator in the nurturing of my daughter except for a few brief hours during the day. I wondered if that would ever change. It did. She would not be here today without them. They saved her. They loved her. I could not see this then, too much was going on in our lives, but I see it today. It was not a mother’s love but it was definitely love. Now I see that Ivey requires both. Hence the saying, love has no end.

Along side those moments watching someone else care for Ivey, a sea of guilt, fear, and protectiveness swelled. I wanted to steal her away - take her with me. I was guilty for leaving. I was afraid of the unknown. I wanted to suppress my fear. I wanted to rip Ivey from their arms. I wanted to run.

It was difficult to understand the range of emotions that were swelling. I still do not understand them. I do not think that I am meant to - they are part of the journey and Her story, my story. With Easter coming up, I have thought a lot about a mother's love for her child. All of this in black and white is impassive -bland -compared to any of our days. I wish you could have been in the delivery room. I wish that you could fill the sting of shutting a car door to go to a home with your baby remaining behind. I wish that for one day I could take you back and have you leave the hospital with me day after day - not knowing if there would be tomorrow. I wish you could wake up on those nights with me, with the need to go to Her room knowing that she was not there. Along with all of our celebrated days with Ivey, these are also days that I have seared in my heart. They are the days that make Her story so bitter sweet. They are the days that say I was selected to be Ivey's mom. I wish that you could experience those days not for the pain, the suffering, but for the means of knowing what great things we have sitting before us. I have not walked alone on this journey. When I look back at the sand covering the path during those days, there was only one set of footprints. God has a plan for Ivey. He even has a plan for me.

15 comments:

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Gwen, that was so beautifully put! I feel like I got a deeper glimps of your heart. And I see how the Lord can use you to comfort those going through similiar situations.

Praise God that He has given you such wisdom. And that you have chosen to be "better" and not "bitter". I know I have said it before, but Ivey is So Very blessed to have you as her Mama!

Borbe Bunch said...

Thank you for sharing your heart.
God DOES have a plan for you and sweet Ivey...I see so much of His plan even now...you have been an encouragement to me, even though we don't know each other face to face.
God brings us all through the journey of life with different circumstances and situations, KNOWING what we can handle...with HIM, it is amazing and humbling what He gives us the strength to do...we serve a GOOD God!

Connie Barris said...

SPEECHLESS......

CONNIE

Connie Barris said...

PS...
I am entering the writing contest for mothers day with the CWO... but you should... with this very letter... as much as I'd like to win.. this letter would..and it should. Hands down.

what a tribute to Ivey.. and to you as her mom.

http://www.christianwomenonline.net/writing_contest.html

Connie

Aunt Boo said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this post. I do not relate, as I have not been in this situation but I can imagine as a mother the pain you must have felt. Thank you for pouring your heart out into this post!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

Wow! I wish I could go there with you too, if only to give you someone else to understand exactly where you have been. I went through a particularly bad event at one point in my life where I remember thinking that as grateful as I was to KNOW God was with me, I still wish there had been one other tangible, present human being who also understood. As someone who only sees the smallest snippets from an online blog, what I do see is how much strong support Ivey has in you, every minute of every day.

Lisa said...

Gwen, I am here from the link you left at my post on Faith Lifts. I am grateful to meet you and see a glimpse into your heart and lifestory.

Yes, you have truly come to understand the pouring out and lifting up we have to do for our children. A process that varies in magnitude from parent to parent and child to child, situation to situation.

When my second daughter was born, we had 24 hours of bliss. Then the nurses took her for a routine check, and she did not return for hours. Instead, a resident showed up announcing that she had been transported to the NICU for dangerously low glucose levels and and possible infection. I lost it. Screamed, yelled, sobbed. The next 48 hours were horrid, as we dealt with the uncertainty of our daughter's health and the inability to grasp the severity, or lack of, in her situation.

I, too, faced wires, doctors calling the shots, nurse's who loved her even for a short time, and departing home without my daughter. The pit still burns inside my belly and chokes my throat as I remember.

But, our story ended fast and hopeful, as we did get to bring our daughter home and she did have a clean bill of health for the time being.

I have come to appreciate those first few days with our Joy Bug, especially when I read stories or hear of others that face NICU experiences and health issues with their children. I have learned that God allowed that situation to happen in our family so that I would be able to pray for other mothers facing the challenges of this type of experience.

You are in my prayers, now.

In His Humble Service,
Elisa

Lei said...

I have tears... thank you for reminding me of these things. My first 2 and my last were in NICU, but for much less time than Ivey. Still, it is good to remember those feelings, especially after difficult days with my children and the feeling I sometimes get of wanting to escape.

There is nothing harder for a mother to do than to turn her child over to another person to depend on. That is such sacred territory and it takes great strength to surrender it.

You are an amazing woman.

Erin said...

Gwen, that was beautifully written. And, my heart longs to have been there with you. I truly cannot imagine going through all that you have. But, my heart hurts for you just reading this.

All I know is that if/when God calls me to go through any kind of a crisis involving my children I will be so much better for having read testimonies like yours, Trish's, Sarah's, and the Mooney's. You all challenge me so much, and I take all of your words to heart. Thanks for sharing with us.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

Only in my fearful imaginations, when post partum depression made me half crazy with the "what ifs," did I ever come close to imagining what you must have gone through. I was lost in panic that my son would be separated from me, that something would go wrong. He had some health concerns - but he was still with me. But even still, as I held him I wept for three weeks (until he got a bill of clear health and my meds stabled me) sure that his little life would be over too soon.

But I have no real idea what you endured. My heart just breaks reading about your story. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hello dear heart, I come check on your family periodically, but I'm not sure if I've ever commented. I just now sat down to read this post and I am speechless. I'm a nursing student in the NICU this semester.... I do night shifts taking care of the "tinies" (that's what I call them in my head) and will hopefully work in this specialty upon graduation in May. My heart lies within all those cribs and incubators... with all those babies that need care while away from their precious mommies. I am so appreciative for your post because it gives me a special glimpse into the hearts of our parents we work with every night... it helps me see their feelings as they say goodbye for the night and leave their infants in my care. I always hope inside that when parents are visiting and doing their "cares" for their baby, that they will hear me interact with the other babies... the affectionate talking and holding, so that they can rest a little easier that not only is their infant receiving medical care, but is also receiving affectionate, loving care. THANK YOU for the gift of your words... they will help me minister to parents in a more sensitive way.

Much love, Calissa

p.s. I'm sorry this is so long, but this post struck me today since I just wrote a post about my neonatal clinical a few days ago. I don't know, it may bless you. It's the second post in my blog right now.

Sarah said...

It's ludicrous to think that Ivey's own mama shouldn't share her feelings on this blog!! Right now Ivey has no concept of all the tremendous things her presence means. You're the one who has to record it--for yourself, for your boys someday, for Ivey. That's your job!

And what a beautiful job you do, Gwen. Thank you for sharing the hard and secret parts, so that you can minister to the other mamas who read this and wonder if they're normal. You are a blessing.

Thank you for your email encouragement this week--it was a big help!!

Anonymous said...

I could relate to points of this post from the time when Emily was in the NICU. It was a hard time and there were days I couldn't even visit her because I had to care for Rachel and my family was worn out from the month when I was in the hospital. They were hard times, times when I felt like I didn't have a clue about my baby, how to care for a preemie, and more. Overwhelming and I wasn't even able to nurse . . . had to make the hard decision about putting her on formula because she was ready to move along and my body wasn't ready to meet her needs. They were hard times indeed. Your post brought back memories and feelings that have never really left me. I was actually reading some of the stuff from that period in my life recently. (Sorry to have rambled here.)

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Hi Gwen,

I'm so glad you wrote this. Even though we can't see or even begin to fully comprehend all of your "secret" life, I'm glad you have given us a peek into it. There is no doubt you were specially "selected to be Ivey's mom."

Much love to you today. BTW, I linked to you on my blog today - you have made me think probably more than any other blogger.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...