11.23.2006

Knox, Walker and I woke up this morning to a Thanksgiving Day unique unto its self. Unlike years prior, they are not waking up together with their Dad or walking into a baby's room to celebrate the first Thanksgiving Day. After a tough year, thankful is an understatement to describe the joys we/I appreciate this year. For the first time in 31 years I realize that I do not need a single day to remind me of my blessings or a special day to celebrate those blessings. Here lately, I have hit my knees in my own solitude and praised God for all of my blessings without a date on a calendar to remind me to take the time. It has not taken a special 24 hours to remind me how thankful I am for my family. I hit my knees almost daily and rejoice in the friendship that surrounds me and my family. Today, I will celebrate the fact that I do not need an exclusive day to be thankful that I found my best friend to walk through life's joys and its curve balls. I will embrace today and in its fullest.

This year I will celebrate the blessing of pain and uncertainty. For without them, I would not feel the magnitude of the good things that have been given. I will thank God for allowing me to feel the full realm of all emotions, so that I do not wade through a pond of stagnant water. The zeal of life is knocking on our door and it is knocking hard. I am thankful for the family and friends who choose to ride the hills, curves and loops of our roller coaster lives.

This year I 'get' how vital the journey is with my children. I understand to praise them and appreciate them. In the past I have been thankful for tangible possessions, but this year I am grateful for those things that are unseen. For Love, Kindness, Patience, Gratefulness, Friendship, Understanding, Forgiveness, Hope and Faith are the most valuable gifts that I can possibly possess.

This year I am thankful for the impact that one tiny little girl has made on so many lives. Much may seem to have been taken from her; however, she is the most gifted individual I am so exceedingly fortunate to know and love. She has touched so many lives in such a personal way. She alone has unlocked hearts that seemed to not possess a key. My dad has been impacted by her and she releases emotions from him that I never knew he owned. The man who raised me was a very rigid and often harsh man. He would not mind me telling you this, he knows it and admits it; he is not proud of it. He lead a hard life. Because of a sweet baby girl, my family can finally witness a side to my father that exudes love, a feat I thought was impossible to accomplish. She did it with one breath of life.

This year I am thankful that the bond between Matt and I is unwavering. It has been tested unlike the bond between many spouses. We have made it through the rapids. We know there will be more ahead, but we will endure them together. Our life together has not been easy - it has been full. It has been good. Hard times ensure us that good times trump and will always be even more gratifying. We are thankful for the small things. We are thankful to know that the minute moments are the grains of sand that form the pearls.

This year I am thankful to have a developed relationship with the Great Man in the sky. In the moments that faith has been tested, I have moved closer to God. He has stood before me and proclaimed that I would not walk through this life without knowing Him. I think that I was missing his importance. I was thankful for the good, not often thanking Him for those wonderful moments. Often, I questioned Him when times were tough. This year He taught me a life lesson. For all the moments in this past year when I made accusations of abandonment and questioned His intentions, He never left my side. He has lifted me up from a raging sea and along the way when life was unbearable, He reminded me He was there. Often He sent in Angels in the form of my friends, my mom, and at times there have been strangers (Father Peter). He has also provided me with support from others that are now walking through life with children like Ivey, who are impacting the world. For example, he has sent Ivey a friend, Addison. They have never met, but our families are enduring some of the same life altering experiences and we are all the better for our new take on Life. I am thankful for this Life God has provided.

This Thanksgiving Day we will celebrate our new 'normal'! I am not so sure the old normal was that good after all.

I am thankful that this year and all the years to follow we will be thankful for LIFE.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gwen.

6 comments:

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Wow Gwen, that was so beautiful! I am in tears. I needed to hear that. We ourselves are having a bit of a hard Thanksgiving, I am sick with the stomach flu myself today, but nothing compared to what you have endured so gracefully this year!Ivey is a blessed little girl to have a family that loves and welcomes her so tenderly. She is a gift. It seems like I think of her almost daily. She has touched my heart so deeply! May our gracious Lord bless your family today with abundant LOVE, JOY, and PEACE! I am blessed to know you! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Oh Gwen, I was brought to tears reading this beautiful post! When I saw my baby girl's name here, I realized that together, Ivey and Addison are an amazing duo! What a crazy thing, that two tiny baby girls have impacted so many peoples' lives!! I hope someday they get to meet:)

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and thank you for sharing your beautiful story with Ivey!!

Girl Raised in the South said...

"we will celebrate our new normal" - loved that.

Erin said...

Gwen, that was absolutely beautiful. I feel so blessed to know you! Thank you for sharing your sweet heart with us. You, Sarah, Ivey, and Addison are inspirations to me! I thank God for all of you!!

Jennifer said...

I read this yesterday and had absolutely nothing to add. You said it all. (and how many times can I tell you how beautifully you share your heart?) :-)
Today as we were driving through Carrollton I saw a church sign that brought me right back to your post. It said: "True Thanksgiving is Thanks Living."
I am thankful for you & yours!

Willingham13 said...

Gwen,

I am thankful that God has given you such a beautiful family. He has also given you a talent of writing that has opened the hearts of all of us and allow us to take that journey with you. Through your writing you have opened our eyes of what to be thankful for. Through your writing you have softened the hearts of every reader.

Ivey has touched our family. We ask God daily to touch Ivey and walk with your family. I remember the first time I posted a message here and it was the poem "Footprints". That is my favorite poem and God has kept his promise with Ivey and you.

Sending all of our love,
Morgan and Monica

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...