10.28.2006

Just a little update on Ivey.

Ivey is still in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at Scottish Rite. It is still estimated to be a two week stay. Ivey does have a trach and is currently on the respirator. She is still on a paralytic, which paralyses her body. This is to prevent her from pulling on her new trach. She will be weaned from the respirator sometime within the next two weeks. Also, she is still heavily sedated; therefore, no pain.

This trach business is all new to me also. I have had 24 hours to read a little; here is a short overview. A tracheotomy is a surgical procedure where an incision is made in the trachea (windpipe). This procedure forms a temporary or sometimes permanent opening in the trachea. A tube is inserted through the opening to allow for air and the removal of secretions. Basically, Ivey will breathe through the tracheostomy tube rather than her nose.

I would love to try and explain the problem that the surgeons found in her trachea; however, a diagram would work much better. It is hard to explain. Without the tracheostomy, the ENT (ear, nose and throat physician) explained that Ivey would probably not survive another common cold. The opening in her windpipe was too restricted. This explains the events of Ivey's last hospital stay. No explanation could be found to explain why she had such a very high respiratory rate and a plummeting heart rate. Now we know why. In hind sight, Matt and I are grateful that we did not know how close we have been to loosing Ivey.

Thank you all for your love and prayers. Matt and I have needed the extra hugs. This was a very sudden and unexpected turn of events. I was so excited for Ivey to be freed of her mouth appliance; never did I imagine she would come home with such a drastic new gadget. Ivey is stable; however, this has been a shock to her tiny 10 pound body. It is hard to see our sweet baby attached to so many machines. She is still very swollen from her surgery. Right now she does have leads and IV’s in each of her arms and feet, not to mention the tubes connecting her to the respirator. She is also under a heat lamp to help maintain her body temperature. Please keep her in your thoughts through out the days to come.

Matt and I have been very comforted by the emails and comments on the blog. Being away from home is hard and the encouragement and support has been much needed. It truly makes a difference to know so many people love and care for us. We just ask that you all just pray for Ivey and her brothers. Your encouragement has meant the world to us.

Much Love +
Gwen

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Gwen, I was SO glad to see this update on Ivey! I've been praying for her off and on all day long, and my hope is that this deep sleep she is in will give her much strength once she's awake again.

I'm also praying for you; the NICU is a lonely place, and I pray that the Lord will comfort You through His Word, through othes, and through each other. Praise God that this was discovered before cold and flu season really hit!

Sending more hugs from Texas . . .If I were closer, I'd come sit with you and keep you company. I can't, so I'll pray, instead!

Sarah said...

um, that was supposed to be "others" not "othes" :)

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Okay, can you stand a few more hugs from Texas? And lots of prayers, too. I met Sarah (and Addison!) last night at the DFW bloggers get-together. If they didn't before, everyone there now knows about Ivey and will be praying, too. You are definitely not alone!

I can't believe you moved! Love your attitude of blessings in disguise. I'm not sure that would have been my first response! You're amazing. Thanks again for the update.

Blair's Mom & Dad said...

Hang in there Gwen, Matt and sweet Ivey. The NICU is tough. We are constantly praying for all 5 of you. Please call if we can do anything for you. We love you all!

S, K & B

Jennifer said...

Gwen- Praying for you all! I will be in Atlanta Wednesday afternoon. Can I bring you anything from here?
I will give you a buzz while I am there to see if you are up for waiting room visitors.
Kimberly & I were talking about the "torn between two places" feeling yesterday and I am specifically praying you'll find peace in the care Ivey is receiving in the NICU and freedom to get some good time with the boys.
What an unexpected blessing that they found Ivey's respiratory issue before she got sick. Praise God for miracles that show up in creative ways!
Let me know about Wednesday...

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Gwen, thank you for updating us. I have been praying several times daily for sweet Ivey and your family and will continue to do so. May God give you peace that surpasses understanding in this time. And may Ivey recovery from this stonger than before.

Willingham13 said...

Gwen,

We continue to pray for Ivey and all of you. I know you have angels all around you.

I have been teaching Morgan to say Ivey in her night time prayers. It is amazing that children understand when we need to be serious.

Sending all of our love.

The Walkie Talkie said...

Gwen, I have visited Ivey's sight for a couple of months now. I "met" y'all through Eliot's website. And was reminded of you on Sarah's website. I am in the processing of getting ready to attend Eliot's service today. And as I do I will be saying extra prayers for Ivey (I have prayed for her since learning of her) and wanted you to know that. And for you as well. Anything I can say of encouragement seems lacking. So I will trust the Holy Spirit to encourage you and your family. Thanks for sharing, Jenny Beth Walker in Fayetteville, AR

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...