Skip to main content

Ivey's Surgery - October 27, 2006

Today Ivey went into the operating room for surgery at 7:30 am. Within 20 minutes, the plans for the day changed. The surgery team found that Ivey's airway was unattainable. A deformity of Ivey's airway was detected, something that we were unaware of until now. Therefore, the primary surgery for the day was to perform a trachaeotomy. After the trachea was inserted, the craniofacial surgeon did elect to perform her lip surgery. She also received tubes in her ears. Ivey now has a sweet complete nose and mouth.

Currently, Ivey is in the PICU here at Scottish Rite (Children's Health Care of Atlanta). She is under heavy sedation, a drug has also been administered to paralyze her tiny little body, along with this she is receiving medication/antibiotics. Sedating and paralyzing Ivey will ensure that the trachea will heal properly. She is also on a respirator. Ivey will remain in this condition for one week. The physicians indicate that Ivey will be here in the PICU for at least two weeks. The trachea will be temporary; however, it will remain in her for months. This is to help with the surgeries that we know are in her future.

The physicians have indicated that the issue with Ivey's airway will need surgery. The surgery to correct this will occur months from now after she has some growing time.

Please keep Ivey in your prayers tonight and for the next few weeks. Knox and Walker will need them too. Ivey's stay in the hospital was very tough on the boys while Ivey was in the NICU after her birth. This will be much more demanding on them. The blessings of our small town will be needed now more than ever.

Much Love+
Gwen

Comments

OH Gwen, I'm so happy to hear that Ivey is through her surgery. She will be in my prayers daily. So will your family. May God bless Ivey to heal from all the different aspects of her surgery and May you and your family have peace and much support through the next few weeks.
Sarah said…
Oh, Gwen, I'm so sorry things didn't go as planned. What a long day for you all. It's great that the dr. was able to do the lip surgery--that's one surgery down! Our family continues to pray daily for you; thanks for posting tonight, so we know specifically what to pray for. Sending much love, Sarah
Jennifer said…
Gwen- I thought of ya'll all day too. The rain reminded me of "showers of blessings" on you all. I am praying that the next 14 days will pass peacefully and quickly and bring much healing.
Congrats on getting this one under your belt!
Linda said…
I am so glad that you gave us an update. Ivey and the rest of your family will be in my prayers. I am sure that everything happens for a reason and finding the breathing issue now, will help in the future. Please keep us posted.

Hugs to Ivey!
You are all in my prayers, and I am so happy to hear that sweet Iveys face is now complete! I pray for you all daily and wish that I lived closer, I have been right where you are with hospitals, and they can be overwhelming.

Know that you and your family are covered in prayer for the next two weekss :)

Be Blessed,
Heather
Gwen~We wanted you all to know that you and your entire family are in our prayers. God is in control and will carry you all through this and the surgeries to come.
Godspeed!
Jud and Pam

Popular posts from this blog

BEAUTIFUL GREEN EYES........

Submitting to Lack of Control

When Ivey was a baby, I literally had drawers and spaces in her closet labeled, everything had a space, a place.  One special friend loved showing off Ivey's closet to newbies coming by for a visit. This level of organization mystified my friend. Secretly, I wanted to go back to haphazardness.  Justifying why I did this is simple.  At the time, I had friends helping me with my laundry, as were my mom and some night nurses.  With so many people, I found it more efficient, for all of us, to label everything.  No one had to search or guess where things belonged.   This approach to find order has only amplified with time. I have come to accept that being Ivey's mom has brought out a controlling aspect in my personality. For the record, I have always found peace in order and organization.  It could be described as controlling, maybe.  Ivey ramped up my need for order. On her hard days, or in times leading up to what I know will be hard, my need for order raises it’s merciless head. 

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans

Ivey Elizabeth Sirmans was born Tuesday April, 25th at 5:26 a.m. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and is 17 inches long. She has beautiful long fingers and toes like Gwen, and her hair is dark like Matt's. She loves to be touched and is happiest when she is being held. Ivey is a strong little one who is breathing on her own. Her strength is a blessing as she will face some challenges in the future. The initial genetic testing showed Ivey has a partial deletion of chromosome 21. There are many tests pending, and as we find out more, we will let everyone know those results. She has a double cleft palate and a cleft lip which will require surgery at some point in the future. She is blind. She has had one hearing test which will be repeated due to the noisy NICU. The aortic valve in her heart has 2 leaflets instead of 3, but despite this, her heart is working wonderfully. Currently, she has a feeding tube in her nose, and she is learning how to nurse from a bottle. Once her feeding is successfu